Motorola RAZR V3

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dreamer, Jan 26, 2005.

1. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Razer thin indeed. Anybody currently looking at or using this phone? I'm tempted. But does it really live up to the hype?

[​IMG]

Here's one of the many examples of the hype,

" Review:Simply bloody wow! ...................."
    http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=560

2. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I love the thing, but the price point made me do a double take. I'm sticking with my nearly three year old Samsung, thanks.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goddamn. I refreshed the page twice figuring it must have been a glitch.

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its 500, I can get it for 300. That is still 300 more than I would spend on a phone. Damn cool though!

5. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    250ish at buy.com

6. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --That pretty much sums it up, I'd love one but there is no way in hell I'm paying that much for a phone.

7. dienasty

dienasty New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Silent Earth
    might as well get a damn blackberry or smartphone type thing. i bet itll be obselete in 6 months anyways when the newest next gen b.s. comes out.

8. CellPhoneChick

CellPhoneChick New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    $200 is a lot, in my opinion, for a phone that's more about form than function. But you can get RAZR v3 for free on CellularChoices.net

But the phone at the top of the page (http://www.cellularchoices.net/manufacturer/motorola/phones) is what's making me drool. Check out the features. Now that, IMHO, is a killer free cell phone deal.

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T-Mobile has the crappiest phone choices of any carrier.

10. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Can you blame them? Americans are the cheapest bastards and there is no market to introduce higher end mobiles.

In Europe and Asia they have an awesome selection of unlocked GSM mobiles and they pay a hefty price for them too.

11. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    What the heck are you talking about? There are 16 year old kids who walk around with $200 cell phones .

12. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    america is behind in the mobile phone market.

this goes for phone selection, service providers, options, ect...

13. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Exactly my point. You think dropping two bills is large for those outdated bricks?
    How about dropping $400-$1000+ just for the handset?

In Korea they have (CDMA) mobiles that run high as $1500 (7MP camera, mp3, etc).

14. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    I lost one of those on the tram home at 3am a few months ago......what ya gonna do huh?

15. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    bummer.

though if i lived over there id get one of those phones that 3 uses. sounds like youve got a good excuse to do so.

16. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Well..who would want to spend $1000 on phone? Over here, no one really cares to spend that kinda of money on a phone. To most, all they need a phone for is to make a phone call. Company executives and people who plain and simple like technology, are the one only one's who would want to spend more then the usual amount of money on phones.

But man...$1000 phone...where can I get more info on it? That things gotta be a thing of beauty.

17. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how behind the US is in the cellphone market.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If these things get any thinner, you won't be able to touch it without it disinegrating when you push it's buttons.

20. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    If we had a market in the states the prices of mobiles wouldn't be as inflated. Europe and some Asian countries have GSM networks and with the same network available in the states, we should be able to use the same mobiles. But since there isn't a (demanding) market for it, there is no reason to surface the mobiles here and lose money. it's just how we as Americans are, we want the latest and greatest, but for free and want more more more incentives. That's why we have a shite selection of phones so companies don't lose as much money as they would. Although cingular is making efforts to bringing in some decent phones.

some info here
    gsmarena.com (GSM only)
    http://mobile-review.com/index-en.shtml (mostly GSM)
    phonescoop.com (mobile news)
    howardforums.com (a big forum)
    wirelessimports.com (rape prices, but they carry some of recent mobiles)

haven't really looked into CDMA (Verizon,Sprint), but i'm going to start researching sites as I'll be switching from the mob to VW

Also, If you also compared our minutes with those in European/Asian markets you would see that we get the better end of the deal.

21. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

So cut to the chase, what's a state of the art cellphone on the US market right now?

22. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    IMO other than smart phones

for gsm
    Sony Ericsson s710a (cingular), Samsung P777 (cingular), Samsung P735 (t-mobiel), Motorola RAZR (black is exclusive to cingular)

for cdma (haven't looked into them much til this past monday :eek:)
    Motorola E815, LG VX8100, Samsung A890 - verizon
    Samsung, A800, A880, Sanyo - sprint pcs

GSM phones from Europe/Asia
    SE K750i, Samsung D500, NOKIA (don't follow up on it, but they've released quite a few nice mobiles)...

phonearena.com is another good source

23. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    http://www.esato.com/phones/index.php/phone=141,cp=109

comparing the RAZR and 6230.

i dont know about the RAZR, but you can put an MMC card (ive heard up to 2gb) in the 6230, as well. its also got a camera and video function, and while its not the best, it works.

theyre about the same size, and weight, as well.