Most overrated, underrated

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by phil80, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MUforever10

MUforever10 Member

Nov 26, 2004
    David Suazo has been a beast in the Serie A these last couple of years. He's been picked by Inter and I have feeling he will become Bargain deal for Mancini. I think he's definetly underrated.

2. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    He's not the one who put that label on himself as the next maradona. I for one do not think he's overrated. If you take his age and how he has preformed for barca he's well above a lot of kids in his age group and on his way to a very successfull career.

3. hazy davey

hazy davey New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    New York
    I guess whether a player is overrated or underrated depends on who is doing the initial rating in the first place.

It's all about perception. To take an example. It seems to me that David Becham is simultaneously overrated and underrated at the same time. If your perception is that because of his weath and exposure he's regarded as one of the best players on the planet, then of course he's wildly overrated. If you think Beckham is a pretty boy who should have been put to pasture years ago, he's badly underrated.

Anyway.....

Overrated:

Frank Lampard - For all of the reasons previously given. On another team, he'd be Kevin Nolan.

Carlos Puyol - Blasphemy I know. I still love him as a player - he has guts and class and all of the intangibles - but there really are better central defenders in Europe.

Fernando Torres - Very good but I doubt he's anywhere worth what Liverpool paid.

Underrated:

Mikel Arteta - He might be the best midfielder in the Premiership.

Ludovic Guily - I'm still amazed that he was left of the France World Cup squad. (though it's hard to argue with the run that France had). But I think Roma is in for a treat.

Roy Makaay - the guy just scores and scores.

I'd also put Emile Heskey and Kevin Davies in the underrated category.

4. hazy davey

hazy davey New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    New York
    And yet when players and coaches outside of England are asked to name their top XI or their team of the year, John Terry's name is almost always there.

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    is Teso your brother? B/c surely the 2 of you share the same crazy logic. One thinks Terry belongs in a bottom of 2nd tier defenders in the world, and the other thinks Terry and Rio are not rated outside of England.

So, it's either the 2 of you share the same DNA (like brothers and sisters do) or both of you live in small village where the only access to football you get is through a semi-working radio.

So which one is it?

6. tjbirdsfan

tjbirdsfan Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I think you might be crazy!
    Arteta is good, he is one of my favorites as well but the best midfielder in the Prem!! No way, Gerrard, Ronaldo, Lampard, Fabergas, are just a few of the midfielders better than Arteta (remember he doesn't even get called up for Spain).

I am a United fan so I have no love lost for Lampard but he is not equal to Kevin Nolan there is a thing called stats look at them sometime.

Whether Torres is worth what Liverpool paid for him remains to be seen, what is true is that at this point he has bolstered thier attacking options and opened up the pitch for the other forwards while making defenders nervous with his skill and pace. I have to admitt Im a bit jealous United were after him last summer but it didn't work out.

And why particularly do you think that Davies and Heskey are underrated?

7. hazy davey

hazy davey New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    New York
    He SHOULD be called for Spain. It's one the reasons he's underrated. And yes...I suppose I'm guilty of a bit of hyperbole in calling him the best, but he's up there. And he's second to none in the Premiership when it comes to free kicks.

8. boomheadshot45

boomheadshot45 New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    US
    Overrated:
    Torres. I mean I think he is going to be more helpful in the sense that he is going to open up more the defense but I don't think he will go any higher than 15 goals
    Can't think of any more right now, not thinking clearly here
    Underrated:
    Flippo
    Hunteelar
    Arteta (Why doesn't he start for Spain?)
    Brad Friedel (sp? Is it ie or ei?)

9. tjbirdsfan

tjbirdsfan Member

Mar 12, 2007

I still not agree but thats fair enough. I can see what you are saying more with Davies, but with Heskey the chances are thier he just doesn't capitalize enough.

I understand your comment about Ciise but he is a bit of a basket case as well, Torres won't cause problems, and he will want to do well. I hope that Tevez gains form, I guess that the end of last year was what I expected out of him now. If he turns it on and Rooney comes back hungry, watch out EPL or BPL as they now call it.

10. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

Flippo?

11. Ash's Boomstick

Ash's Boomstick New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I can't belive no one has mentioned the most over rated player ever

DAVID BECKHAM

If he didn't take every freekick and corner his team gets you'd never know he was on the pitch

12. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    beckham was insanely overrated a few years ago but he's been criticized so much especially during the world cup, that i wouldnt put him in that category anymore, almost feel sorry for the guy

13. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    agree with just about everyone there (with maybe the exception of puyol?)

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I was asked to explain myself and I did. It's not my fault that the usual Chelsea faces have decided to come out and defend their players.

Shearer- His lack of European competition is what hits him, particularly abroad.

Foster - Very few keepers start for an elite country at a young age. Granted he is a tad overrated but he would have been heavily involved this season had it not been for injury. You also need to factor in England's poor keepers of late, so anyone with potential would be getting a lot of attention and up until his injury it would be hard to say that his performances did not merit it.

Keane - He did exceptionally well in his first season at Sunderland and you are guilty of not giving him the credit he deserves for it. You did similar on another thread, so it is not unexpected. He is rated highly on what he has has done and there is nothing else to go on at the moment. Obviously Sunderland fans are optimistic and pundits are saying his approach might make the difference. Only time will tell and his 'rating' will be adjusted based on how Sunderland do this season. Hardly unreasonable, is it? Plus he did chase bigger names but he is managing Sunderland and will obviously struggle to get players in. Any bigger names will join because of him and not the club.

Nice side step schafer. I have dealt with everything previously and had you read my previous posts then you will find that I defender Carvalho during your defensive struggles as well. I guess that makes me biased towards him as well...

1. I agree with Messi but simply because he has not yet played an entire season of football. Until we see how he and his body copes with playing an entire season of football then I will hold off on any praise.

2. Ferdiand has proved that he is not average without support, as I detailed previously.

*yawn*

phil80 doesn't even know anything about the discussion it was involved in.

Don't insult me! :p

I would agree. Despite all of the crap surrounding him, he is still one of the best at crossing, passing and set-pieces.

15. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Probably still the best at long balls and placing them on a dime

16. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True he didn't put the label on himself nor has any of the other "next Maradonas" but that's just how it goes sometimes. I do agree that his performances at Barca have been inspiring most of the time which is a benefit of being around great players. On a smaller La Liga outfit, would he be as effective? My reasons are more geared around his stints with the NT. Since before the WC he's been touted as the one player that has to be on the pitch for Argentina yet aside from some nice runs and pretty goals he is imho a selfish player that waits way to long to pick his head up and pass. I just don't see his game as complete as some make it out to be. Personally I'd rate Aguero from Atletico as a better all around player. Just my two cents.

17. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Because they got Xabi, Xavi, Cesc, Silva, and Iniesta.

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Better question would be, why the hell isn't he ever called up?

19. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I personally would rate him over cesc, and he can also play as a right midfielder

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Calm down FFS. In Holland the only English defender we rate is Ashley Cole because we like his footballing style, he's the type of left back we'd like to have. Terry and Ferdinand meanwhile in our view are suited only to the English style of defending. In our view they are your typical tall, static English defenders who do fine when playing against a 4-4-2 but look clunky against dynamic, creative forwards especially when the opponent plays a 4-3-3 with two proper wingers up front which English defenders aren't used to. In other words, we think Terry and Ferdinand are not complete enough as footballers.

21. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Good to know everyone in Holland has the exactly same opinion on all things football related;)

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm generalising to make a point, of course.

It's just that some English people don't seem to realise that opinions on football on the continent differ from theirs. Their footballers in turn would greatly benefit from testing their skills in a foreign league and thus adjusting to other footballing styles, but that's another discussion.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Thanks for highlighting that you know little about Ferdinand.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    What is the preferred Dutch style for their defenders then?

I'm looking at players such as Jaap Stam, Winston Bogarde, Khalid Boulharouz, Andre Ooijer and trying to see what they possess that English defenders are lacking.

25. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Cool names?