Most disgraceful/worst matches of the German NT.

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by poorvi, Mar 3, 2012.

1. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We've had many threads that eulogize the various German teams over the years. Lets all list out those performances that have been some of the worst of the NT that we Germany fans have seen. Compiling such a list has been difficult, given the incredible record of the NT team over the decades.

Here is a list of some of the worst performances that I've seen ( in no particular order).

1. Romania vs Germany , pre EC 2004 friendly, Bucharest. 1-5
    These were the twilight days of Rudi Voeller. After a satisfying WC02 and an acceptable EC 04 qualifying campaign, the expectations ( mine at least) were high from this side going into the Euros. However, this loss followed by a 2-0 to Hungary after a few days ( that match was supposed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Das Wunder von Berne) made me reassess my expectations.
    As a match, this has to be the worst that I've seen Germany play. 4-0 down at half time. Romania already scored two goals before Germany could string in a couple of passes and get into the Romanian half.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/29/1083224516215.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmYgf_RgB08"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmYgf_RgB08[/ame]

What is worse is that a player called Rat scored against Germany.

2. Germany (West) vs Austria, WC 82, Gijon 1-0

Disgraceful moment as a Germany fan. Not so much for the football on the field, but because the way Germany and Austria approached the game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7_SyXO6VeQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7_SyXO6VeQ&feature=related[/ame]

3. Germany vs Holland, EC 92, Goteburg, 1-3

EC92 was the first tournament after the re-unification. Germany were reigning WC champs and in red hot form. Can't remember any other tournament when such a strong German side played so poorly in a tournament. And this tournament came right after Beckenbauer said that international football would be dominated by Germany after the re-unification. :(
    Both teams were through to the semis even before this game was played. Still, given the rivalry, one would expect a concerted effort from the German NT. However, the Dutch were 2-0 up inside 8 mins and both the goals were off set pieces.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yru40SMBNz8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yru40SMBNz8[/ame]

4. Germany vs Portugal, WC98 qualifier-in sept 1997, Berlin 1-1

This was a match that I saw at the stadium. :)
    A boring match through and through. Germany didn't show any sense of purpose and woke up only after Portugal scored (which was more of a gift to the Portuguese). An incident, which can be termed as unfair then occurred. A Portuguese player was walking to the byline after being substituted ( Sergio Conceciao, I think) and he was red carded for walking slowly. Germany then rallied back and made use of the one man advantage to equalize. Kirsten scored. As a result Portugal didn;t qualify for the world cup.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25JWLwc3Bd4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25JWLwc3Bd4[/ame]

This match was the start of the decline of German football. The glorious era of EC96 was over.

5. Germany vs Portugal, EC 2000, Rotterdam, 0-3
    This, was the lowest ebb of German football. A 3-0 loss to an upcoming Portuguese side in a must win game. Last place in the group and a return ticket home for the defending champions.

http://en.archive.uefa.com/competit...on=2000/round=1458/match=64850/report=rp.html

Lothar Mathaeus surely deserved a better last match.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The England loss doesn't feature in my list. That was simply an off day. Germany weren't particularly bad either. Neither were England 4 goals better. Its just that everything that could go wrong went wrong in that game. :(

Please list out your 'worst' games.

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Were you living in Germany in 97?

A portuguese guy I knew once talked about that game and how unfair it was. I think the player was João Pinto.

3. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know it's not the worst game but recently within the last year.

I have to add the Germany vs France game.

Even though we had players missing, we have enough depth to relatively cover missing players.

The way we played this game was so disappointing. They played half ass the entire match, then whenever someone did decide to do something (mostly Ozil) the attacks looked great..

I know it was a nothing game, but if Germany came in the way they did against brazil and holland, they should've annihilated France..

This was a game I was looking forward to watch all year and it was my biggest let down..

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

With this attitude against those types of teams, you're going to be disappointed.

5. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One of the worst games.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu0LFTa7Cvk"]Germany v Croatia (French)- 4/7/1998 Quarter-finals - YouTube[/ame]

I was at a hotel in India and passed out just before the match started. I woke up the next morning to read the paper and couldn't believe it......but I'm glad I missed it

6. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The Conferations Cup 1999 in Mexico against Brazil (0-4) and the USA (0-2).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-I2XFA5cVQ"]Germany 0 - 4 Brazil[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsn8rIFx1eY"]Germany 0-2 USA (B-team)[/ame]

At the EC 2004 quail round the matches vs. Faroer Islands (Germany won with 2 last minute goals) and Iceland were also very pathetic. The later led to Völlers famous interview, where he got in rage from minute 2:30 on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHTO0UkFuK4"]Völler in range after a 0-0 in Iceland[/ame]

7. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure that I agree that this is one of the worst games they played. It was an older German team, the last hurrah for many of the players and after this the team was certainly below par for a number of years.

What I remember of the match, and I am sure that I will be corrected if I'm wrong, was that a German defender (I think it was Worns) get red carded for fouling a Croatian attacker (Suker?) on a break. After that it was 10 v. 11 and the Germans were giving as well as they got. The Croats scored again (I think it was on another break) and after that the Germans were pressing. I do remember the commentator saying that he didn't know who had 10, who had 11, with the Germans pressing as hard as they did.

So from an effort and skill standpoint it was ok, from a results standpoint it sucked. If they would have won, they would have faced France, and I doubt they would get a result against them considering the form France was in in '98.

Moral of the story: don't meet balkan teams in finals (still stinging from Serbia WC 2010).

And why do we always get a red card playing balkan teams in finals?

8. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To add to what RJ123 said about the 98 WC QF,

The team was playing good football till the time Woerns got the red for the stupid challenge. For an aging squad, playing against a fast and upcoming side like Croatia was always going to be an uphill task. Also, two of Croatia's goals were brilliant. No defense/keeper could have stopped Jarni low shot and the second goal was also very neatly done.

I remember Stimac not being given the red in that game for what a sure red card offense. All in all, it wasn't that bad a performance, though the result was disastrous.

@ "Eisenfuss" Eilts, those are some good picks. That game against the Faroes was nearly a disaster. I remember it was 1-1 at HT at home against them. Arne Freidrich scored an o.g. in the dying moments of the first half. :eek:

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey I'm glad for that loss against Croatia, that kind of kick-started the whole DFB/youth reform!

Cordoba also a low point.

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some others, 2-0 loss against Hungary in 2004, 8-3 loss against Hungary in 1954, 4-1 against Italy in 2006, 9-0 against England in 1909, 1-0 against Easty Germany in 74 (more symbolic than anything else) and 2-1 against Algeria in 82.

11. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not following you on this one..

I thought they played half asses against France and despite missing several key players, they wanted to just go home and move on... Where as France wanted to play and win...

Holland and brazil are better then France ATM. We went into those games looking to play and win. We were firing on all cylinders..

So by that theory we shouldve killed France..

But I guess enough players were missing to make that impossible for us..

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    France is too good a team for us to be able to annihilate whether we "turn up" or not

13. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh FFS....keep it to IN your lifetime!! :p

14. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Yeah I've never watched that match to this day, so I can't add anything :p

15. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The 1998 quarters loss to Croatia wasnt shameful as Worns was red carded.I think the Croat keeper pulled a stunning save on a Bierrhoff header, Similar to the one he scored vs Mexico.

The red card coupled with Croatia inspired world cup performance wasnt too bad. France struggled to beat them and the pipped Holland in the 3rd place match.

One of the most dissapointing to me was EC 2004

Germany 0-0 Latvia,
    Germany 1 Czech 2, EC 2004
    Euro 2000 Germany 0 Portugal 3.

FR, I think It was the EC 2000 fiasco that inspired the youth revolution. Those were the days Paolo Rink was an option even Sean ********ing Dundee

16. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea 2000 definitely was the straw that broke the camel's back and really kickstarted the initiative but the roots lay in 1998 when they sent the oldest ever side to a WC. They also used the Clairefontaine academy system that helped France win the WC and the EC as a rough model for their reform. So I think there was a conscious realization that something was wrong but the structural changes weren't implemented until a bit later. It's better to forget those years though, so damn depressing.

17. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are a number that come to mind.

The worst for me was the 1-0 win over Austria in 1982; it's a game I can't bear to watch again simply because. It was made worse by the attitude of both the team and the coach post-match; there was a clear lack of moral fibre in that team.

The 3-0 defeat to Portugal at Euro 2000. A complete and utter shambles that thankfully resulted in the powers that be realising that German football was seriously ill. It served to accelerate the moves that were started in 1998 when the pensioners were defeated by Croatia at the WC.

The 4-1 defeat to Italy in 2006, which almost sent Jürgen Klinsmann packing. Having watched this complete and utter disaster, I will have to admit that I was one of those that feared a first phase World Cup exit at home.

The Confederations Cup of 1999 in general - first, the 4-0 whopping by Brazil where the team managed to keep the Brazilians out for the first hour only to completely collapse in a heap. Then a dire 2-0 win over minnows New Zealand that bored me to tears. Then the 2-0 defeat by the US which left more than a lot to be desired. Perhaps the only excuse for these performances was the low quality of the side that was selected to wear the Nationaltrikot. Maul, Rink, Preetz?

However, for me the game that for some reason really rankles is the 1-0 defeat in Turkey in 1998 during the EQ qualification campaign. Yep, another Ribbeck game. It was bad because (a) the performance was truly shocking; (b) it didn't help that the team was wearing that truly horrible away kit; (c) the goal itself was a horror show.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeRq_gBgdq4"]1998 (October 10) Turkey 1-Germany 0 (EC Qualifier).mpg - YouTube[/ame]

Of course, space needs to be reserved for the two 5-1 defeats against Romania and England - the latter will I believe be invoked by the media for the next hundred years whenever England are playing Germany. I do think the 3-0 defeat against Croatia was due to Wörns' dismissal made a huge difference in a match where Germany had actually started well.

Looking at the OP's list, I think calling the 3-1 defeat by the Dutch as one of the NT's worst games is a bit harsh, though I can imagine why one would assume that given that it was set in a tournament where the NT appeared to stumble its way through to the final. I recorded the game back at the time, and had never watched it again until recently to write the match report for my website - and when I watched the entire game I was actually a little less disappointed.

http://www.schwarzundweiss.co.uk/to...championships/sweden-1992/92-netherlands.html

Vogts' side very easily could have got a draw from this game. In fact having watched Euro '92 again I think was the level of expectation rather than any poor performance that shaped how many have seen the team that played in that particular tournament. Having watched all of the games again with a clear view, they weren't that bad; they were actually a bit unlucky both with injuries before the tournament (Loddar) and during the tournament (Rudi) and did meet some opposition where individuals excelled (Schmeichel in the final v Denmark) and where they were at the wrong end of some refereeing decisions (there was a foul shortly before Jensen's goal in the final and then there was Vilfort's handball which allowed him to score the second).

18. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i think the worst matches of germany are as shown below
    1/ 1954 final against hungary because they used banned drugs
    2/ 1982 against austria because the match was fixed
    3/ against argentina 1990 because the victory is to do with codesal more than it is with the team
    4/ against england 2010 for the same reason of number 3

19. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Fair enough....:cool: But only 4 matches?

20. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    there are some more
    against france 1982 for instance :)

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Well someone just hasn't been doing their homework then....;)

22. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Riiiiiighht.....

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Dude, I don't see anything wrong with that. He's entitled to his opinion as much as you are....he may or may not be wrong, but that's why it's an opinion.

24. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This guy has a long history of inflammatory posts of this nature. I would take everything he says with a huge handful of salt.

25. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Me or OWN GOAL?...