Mormon Fundamentalists...

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by oman, Sep 4, 2007.

1. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BYU has students from over 100 countries. But about 30% of the student body is from Utah, and most of them are from the Scandinavian stock that settled heavily in the area in the 1800s.

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in other words, nothing. I mean, you pretty much sound like a good Roman talking about those wacko Jews who believe that some obscure provincial traitor and rebel named "Christos" - get a load of this! - ROSE FROM THE DEAD! Hoo boy, that got a laugh down at the baths, I tell you what.

3. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Pretty much, slowpoke.

Romans - relativeley sane but pretty much done it all.
    Jews - wacky
    Christians - Loony
    Mormons - Loonier
    Mormon Fundamentalists - Looniest.

4. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that your reasons for thinking Mormons are loonier than Christians don't stand up under a comparison between the two groups.

-------

Mormons = "the Bible with a crazy ass American topping"

Christians = "the Tanakh with a crazy ass Greek topping"

-------

Mormons = violent history

Christians = violent history

-------

Mormons = perserving their faith through revelations

Christians = preserving their faith through revelations

-------

I don't see any difference in wackiness between the two. They're equivalently batguano insane from any rationalist POV.

5. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

Too bad for you.

Look over there! It's a dog.

No, it's a wolf.

6. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what!

forgotten your basics?

redheads were created by that evil angel, Lipitor, to seduce nice Mormon men and turn them into coffee drinking heathens.

you needs your caffeine to keep pace with your average redhead, bucko...

7. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it will too bad for YOU when Poku shows up on the Last Day and sends you infidels to Terrapin Hell where you'll have to listen to endless loops of Wham's greatest hits while watching the same three reruns of "Roseanne" for all eternity. Repent now!

8. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, dat.

9. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry. i gotta say that "Roseanne" was the most "real" family on TV during the time her show was broadcast. they were emotionally intimate ( i didn't like to think about possible physical intimacy, but they had 3 kids, if you call DJ a kid ), the program talked about actual family values issues, and it was f*nny.

maybe i wouldn't want to spend 83 seconds in a room with Roseanne Barr, but i thought the show was great.

but possibly that wasn't your point. as the other Roseanne would say, "Never mind."

10. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Can I limit it to just "Young Guns" in an endless loop? I think I might be able to deal with that.

Shut up chick, that's a friend of mine....

line line line

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    All religious fundamentalism is bad.

12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you mean that someone believes that there is a specific Truth that their life is fixed upon, then i would have to disagree with you.

anyone who has a flexible religious belief set probably doesn't believe anything worth living for, let alone dying for.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is dangerous nonsense.

14. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, I'm agreeing with bigred here.

Fundamentalism in religion is dangerous. It causes people to be inflexible, to be judgmental, to be able to cause harm to others that do not fit their personal definition of a human. It is terribly inflexible and not open to new ideas, and it is easily directed (with Nationalism) at hatred and violence against others.

15. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fundamental Christianity should render a person non-judgmental, from the standpoint that Christians must love others regardless of whether they believe the other person is wrong in belief or behavior. finger pointing is wrong. whether you have religious beliefs or not.

open to new ideas? Christianity was a "new idea" when Jesus lived and the religious establishment had him killed.

and i submit that your intolerance toward a strong set of religious beliefs, calling them dangerous, is finger pointing.

what Christian do you know personally who has ever harmed anyone because of a belief system?

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, finger pointing is NOT wrong, in and of itself. If something is bad, or if some behavior is harmful, or if some belief system is dangerous and intolerant, it needs to be called out.

Which proves nothing.

Yeah, it is. See above.

I tend not to associate with fundamentalists of any sect.

17. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, Christianity was a pretty new idea, 2000 or so years ago. Since then there have been a lot more new ideas which Christianity hasn't exactly done a very good job of embracing.

As for Christians harming people because of a belief system, wow, are you serious? Sure, they aren't out there bombing abortion clinics every day, but when that isn't happening, you sure do have a lot of Christians who like to declare that "God hates fags" and other lovely things like that. While it isn't physical harm, it isn't exactly the warm and fuzzy picture of Fundamentalist Christianity that you like to paint.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, he was a great passer, he could read defenses well, and also once he started scrambling and headed upfield he was unstoppable.

19. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I haven't seen a link to this story in this thread, but found it an interesting article -

Boys Cast Out by Polygamists Find Help from the NYT.

20. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Are Mormon's generally literalist about the historical passages of the Book of Mormon?

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what new ideas do you want Christianity to embrace?

i've never, ever met someone whom i've heard say anything more critical of homosexuals than to say that it's a lifestyle choice that is contrary to the Bible's teaching.

when you say "you sure have a lot of Christians...", do you have any idea how patronizing and critical that is? my guess is that you think that a majority of Christians think God hates homosexuals. i don't know anyone who thinks that way.

does the Bible teach that homosexuality is a sin? yes. should Christians be more concerned about homosexuality than the adultery of Christians who go to the churches we attend? NO. are some of us more concerned? YES. and that's a terrible commentary on how easy it is to point the finger.

in my experiences on BigSoccer's board, i find the community of atheists and agnostics far more intolerant of the Christian perspective than vice versa. read the posts. atheists and agnostics call us stupid, dangerous and narrow-minded.

the most significant persecution of any people group during the past 75 years has been by the atheistic Soviet regime under Stalin toward Russian peoples, some of whom were probably Eastern Orthodox Christians. that is a fact. the historical Christian persecution toward non-Christians pales in comparison.

22. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    StiltonFC, may I introduce you to the Rev. Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/

And also, let me introduce you to the Rev. Pat Robertson:

I can go on, if you'd like.

23. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or killing for. It's mindsets like yours that creates bin Ladens.

The only possible dissent with scaryice's post is that it wasn't broad enough to include ALL fanatacisms, including dogmatic "Marxism", neoconservativism, various nationalist or racist movements, etc.

24. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The willingness to die (or kill!) for a belief system has absolutely no bearing on its truth value or its social value.

25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is about as good a place as any for this video:

[youtube]KzGjEkp772s[/youtube]