Morgans' Behind Game

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by subbuteo, Nov 11, 2003.

1. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Really nice article, Ed.

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Great work Ed. You nailed it.

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Great article Ed!

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yup.

6. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
  7. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I wish there was some way to let Earnie know that the supporters still are behind him. If we're going to be successful next year we're going to need Earnie Stewart in full form.

Hopefully I'll run into him at MLS Cup (if he goes) to tell him so.

8. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    "As much as I defended Stoitchkov this year, there is no defense for Sunday. Not when even with his occasional struggles, Convey has done more for this club than Stoitchkov ever will. If he never wore United's kit again, his departure wouldn't be fast enough."

Thank you! I hope United understands this too. Adios Hristo.

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Indeed. Fans need to send this message to DC United via email or phone.

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I already did. Two days ago. No response from my rep.

11. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

What does he mean by that?

Convey w/DC United, total:
    6,430 minutes, 8 goals, 13 assists

Stoitchkov w/DC United, total:
    901 minutes, 5 goals, 5 assists

Stoitchkov scored the goal that got us into the playoffs.

To get along w/the "supporters", Stoitchkov must learn to:
    -Talk about how goals and assists don't matter, and bitch about the team
    -Come over and talk to the "supporters"

Unfortunately, Stoitchkov seems more interested in winning the game than winning over fans. Or at least certain fans, I should say.

Leave the guy alone. We do enough crucifying in this place as it is.

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon me, but screw Hristo. Statistics don't mean dick when the guy is an obvious head case and a detriment to team chemistry.

13. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one will not leave the guy alone. I have been a Hristo supporter because I loved his passion, that support is gone. He is a player/coach and there is zero excuse for pushing a teammate who was trying to defuse a situation. Bobby was trying to prevent Hristo from getting a card for standing over a fire player. For Hristo to push him is over the line.

14. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Zack responds.

15. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first amendment
    heck, this is the Internet
    fire away

16. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    To all those who say screw Hristo:

Let me know how perfect you are. How you never make mistakes.

Also, Convey played a role in this. Takes 2 to tango

Course, if you need someone to bitch about, this is the forum. Everyone seems to need a guy to bat around here (including me). This guy's just the latest "I'll give up my season tickets, this guy must go, he's a cancer, embarrassment, head case" guy to come along here.

Next year I estimate there will be 6 guys on the team who will get that.

Maybe we should search for the biggest Politically Correct p****** in MLS and bring them over here

17. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Poor Hristo.

Even you, Bud, have to admit that he's a complete nutter. I don't think anyone is blaming Hristo's antics for the way the season wound down, but I do think it's pretty clear that he's a loose cannon that adds to the distractions on the field rather than providing solutions to the disarray in which the club is mired.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

That's such crap. By the same token I could ask you by what right you so belligerently criticize other posters on this board for having opinions different from yours. And just so we're clear, I am indeed suggesting you're a hypocrite here.

By the way have you actually watched the incident in question? You said you hadn't seen it here.

19. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I am not perfect but I will say that I don't go around shoving my co-workers like Hristo did. What he did in my opinion was unexcusable and unprofessional. Good riddance. I hope United gets rid of him.

20. Sajuan

Sajuan New Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Central, PA
    So Hristo pushed Convey....big deal!

It sometimes happens between teammates and anyone who has ever played soccer most likely have been on a team where this has occured.

In fact, I almost came to blows with a teammate (and college roomate) in one particular game when the opposing player almost scored on a missed marking assigment. Later on, we both laughed and shrugged it off and our still friends to this day.

My point is that some posters are soooooooooo quick to judge people on this board for their actions which occur during a game. Actally, I would say that almost 9 out of 10 judements on a player seem to be negative.

Were Hristo's actions justified? No. Was it a classy move by a veteran? No. Is Hristo simply an evil person who wears the DC logo? No.

He is just a person with a fiery, competitive nature who reacted to a situation.

Let's move on........

21. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah I'd say arguing w/the refs so much, pushing Convey is uncalled for.

I just don't believe it's THAT bad to the point where we call him completely inexcusable, a complete embarrassment, a disgrace to the game, I'll give up my season tickets if I ever see that guy in a DC United uniform again, on and on...I mean come on w/the passing judgement "holier than thou" attitude already....I pretty much agree w/what Sajuan said.

22. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

By the right to have an opinion, whether it agrees w/the majority, or it doesn't. My opinion is as worthless as everyone else's-no more worthless, no less worthless. Hard to have an opinion that's less than worthless, but I think sometimes we succeed on this board, me included.

23. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see your point if it was just this one game, or even the last five games, but this is a pattern that started in pre-season when he broke the leg of some poor kid at AU in a fit of rage during a scrimmage. He's been hollering at and/or baiting EVERYONE on the field - refs, opposing players, teammates, COACHES - all season long. Enough already.

24. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I remember playing basketball w/a guy who I think maybe is like Stoitchkov. I'll agree the guy comes across as a real jerk, but a real good basketball player at the same time.

If you're on the opposing team, you absolutely hate him. But you can't say anything to him because he gets in your face, and he's so loud and obnoxious about what you say you just give up after a while, cause you don't want to deal w/the arguing.

He argues just about EVERY controversial call. And when the game's on the line that's when he plays best and argues the most.

If he's on your team you go "Thank God" because then you don't have to deal with going against him.

Is he a disgrace to the game of basketball? No, of course not. He's a jerk, but if you like competition, if you like to play hard, he's who you want to be on the court. He'll only play in somewhat competitive, serious games. He's quite an athlete. And he's fair and never goes out to intentionally injure anyone, but he plays hard.

A lot of guys in sports are like that. Mean and nasty and intimidating. But that's what can make them good-look at Stoitchkov's #s this year-best per-minute producer on the team. And he was a former world footballer (or runner up).

I can see where a lot of you are coming from, I just think you go too far. I say don't make this guy out to be a disgrace to the game, an embarrassment, whatever. Remember, Stoitchkov could have made MORE money outside of MLS

Kovalenko's kinda the same way. Remember that "porridge" statement? Pretty telling.

Just remind yourself Stoitch is on OUR team. Helping US win. He got us in the playoffs-and I can't thank the guy enough for that.

25. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So you're saying Convey was wrong to try to calm him down and get everyone playing again? That because Convey was more interested in trying to win than trying to intimidate that he asked to be pushed around by one of his coaches?

Is that really what you mean to imply?

Guess what. Year after year I've held on to my season tickets no matter how disappointed I was in the results. Sure I'd thought about cancelling them but I knew that would be ultimately self-defeating.

This last incident with Hristo pushed me over the line. I don't want to be associated with a team that condones dishonorable behavior.

So, if Hristo comes back next year, I don't.

My wallet is the only vote I get. I want a team I can be proud of - winning or losing. And the team on the field last weekend was not that team.

And you know what else, BW? I don't give a rat's ass whether you approve or not. If you'd rather have Hristo than Earnie, then fine. Be my guest. I've got better things to do with my time and money.