Moreno transaction info.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by 3rd Degree, Oct 24, 2004.

1. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am lookig for the complete transaction information on the Morano trade from Metro to DC. I tried MLSnet and the Metro site with no luck.

Can anyone help me out?

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I believe it was a conditional draft pick, if he met certain conditions (which he has) we give up a 1st round draft pick for him. But I might be mistaken here.

You could always email Steven Goff at the washington post.

3. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We get Moreno, they get to lose in the playoffs. :D

5. Shark

Shark Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Leesburg, VA
    Buwaaaahhhaaaaahhhhh!!!

6. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sundevil9 again.

--kravi

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I think the contender for league MVP is worth a first round pick.

If no trades are made to give United another pick in that round, that would mean DC's last three first picks would be Alecko Eskandarian, Freddy Adu, and in essence, Jaime Moreno. Not a bad group at all.

8. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Especially b/c we will see more actual dividends from Adu next year.

The kid has 5 goals as a part time 15 year old rookie.

I think its safe to say he may have 10 goals next year as a 16 year old SOPHOMORE.

Adu was worth two years of 1st round pics.

9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Future considerations owed by DC United to the MetroStars for the rights to Jaime Moreno. According to Steven Goff, "If Moreno plays in 20 of 30 regular season games, the MetroStars will receive United's first-round pick. Otherwise, they would get a second- or third-round pick."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A28851-2004Apr20&notFound=true

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  11. calciosoccer

calciosoccer Red Card

Mar 21, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    WOW........ 30 games 5 goals $100k p/goal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah? :rolleyes:

And I'm glad your not my stock broker or accountant.

Ever heard of an INVESTMENT?

See what that math translates to after Chelsea FC pays a several million dollar transfer fee in two or three years.

I won't even get into what he brings in attendance numbers as the losers in San Blowse can tell you.

13. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    cap free that is

14. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    And frankly, we're not going to be able to afford to pay a first round pick next year anyway, so it all comes out in the wash.

Alecko and Fred are going to have to come off P-40, Moreno's going to get an adjusted contract, if we get to keep Nellie, HE's going to get a big raise ...

Next year's salary cap machinations are going to look ugly.

16. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Why should Freddy have to come off of P-40? Look at Kyle Beckerman. He played for the Miami Fusion and he is still on P-40.

I agree that Alecko likely will. I doubt we can keep Nelsen.

17. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Adu is NOT coming off of p40. I'll take that bet with anyone. I hate gambling but will take your money.

The criteria are murky but if a player is a regular starter, waived out of the league, or gets REALLY old then MLS usually graudates him. Some theories about # minutes played exist.

#1. Regardless if getting Adu was fair, DC shouldn't be charged max cap value for what he'll produce next year
    #2. He's 15
    #3. MLS wants Adu to be on a successful team. MLS is much more fair nowadays but this is a reasonable wish.
    #4. DC probably played him more than they would have without "outside pressure" and off-the-field considerations (though I really respect Nowak not starting him day 1)

p40 is designed to carry a player roster-protected until about when he'd be a rookie out of 4 years of college. that's why high school p40s like Beckerman and Trembly (even Barclay) stay p40 for up to 4 or more years. Today Jordan Stone retired as a 20 yr old p40 to go to college.

Beckerman is off p40 this year (did you mean Trembly?). Beckerman spent 4 years p40 - reasonable. Trembly's 5th year this year is pushing it (guess kind of like a red-shirt).

18. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    The logic is 30 games, 5 goals means he's an integral part of the team and has to be accounted for accordingly. At that level of contribution he's not a developing player, he's a league journeyman.

You do realize he's played in almost as many games as Santino Quaranta, don't you? 'Tino came off of P-40 two years ago.

Both Olsen and Bobby Convey came off of P-40 by the time they hit 30 games.

Look, I agree that his impact in no way, shape, fashion or form equates to a full-salary slot on the salary cap. I'm just speculating that we're going to have to deal with him taking up max salary on our cap next season because he can clearly play in this league. The only reason to defer that cap hit is to give United a little breathing room--something the League has not been notoriously generous with. We somehow manage to win MLS Cup '04, and you think they'll be cutting us any slack next year? I seriously doubt it.

19. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    It'll be by minutes not games played I'll bet. In the past you weren't the "Adu team". His salary is unprecedented in p40. Szetela isn't even p40 so the rules appear to be changing. Countess is making 100k on p40 this year. I doubt we know the rules. I'm fairly sure it'll be one more year p40 and then graduate for Adu (hopefully for you guys he'll be playing closer to the 270k cap charge in 2006, I think he will by 2007).

20. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    There's no way in hell the League takes Adu off P-40. He's backed by Nike, making the League money, and drawing fans-that's more than enough reasons not to cripple the team he's on. He's the League's pet and he'll be treated as such until he transfers.

21. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    ... and part of the reason they're murky is to provide flexibility for situations like Adu's. I agree that MLS has very little reason to promote him to DC's full roster.

To be more specific, MLS has been consistent about getting players off of P-40 by around their 23rd birthday. DC fans will likely interpret this as good news, since it suggests that David Stokes is history.

I'm pretty sure that Trembly's actually in his sixth year of Project-40 status; he joined the Rapids in August 1999.

22. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The rules for Adu's cap and contract are similar to those of Calvinball; United will never feel the full impact of the 500,000/year contract as if they did, other players would have to be paid that, a bump in pay that will not happen for years.

23. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    You're right it was 99. I just checked his MLSNET bio and it went back to 2000 for describing seasons played. Not sure if he played any games 99 and that was really late in the season. Entered league at 17, now 22 and got 761 minutes this season, so maybe p40 again next year! But that's the commitment MLS needs to make to 17 y/o's if they're going to ask them to forgo the college experience.

24. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Looks like Trembly's first year was more a technicality than anything ... he trained with the Rapids over the summer of 1999, then signed with MLS right before he went back to Bradenton.

Incidentally, MLS hasn't been pursuing many of the "forgo college" types recently. Most of the signees have been college juniors who pass quickly through Project-40. As a consequence, we're looking at probably 30 open slots for next season. With so many vacancies and rumors of roster expansion, this could be a very interesting off-season.

25. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, it'll be interesting to see if/how the P-40 "rules" change with the new adidas deal and potential reserve teams.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/grant_wahl/10/22/adidas.deal/index.html