More St. Louis/expansion details

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by flippin269, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree because they should be going to stadiums that are owned by MLS instead of back to football stadiums, if it can be helped. Please no flaming about how great Qwest is. That is not the point. If MLS can add two cities that seem to be ready for MLS with RCS stadiums, they should be ahead of cities that will play in a stadium that they do not own.

And KC & StL need to be in the same conference if we're going to keep the ridiculous conferences. Houston & Dallas, KC & StL it makes no sense to split teams in the same state up. They help each other sell tickets & they should be playing each other as often as possbile.

2. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, technicly (whoa that is some bad spelling i think) KC and St. Louis won't be in the same state. Hell, if KC gets the SSS i've heard them talking about, they won't even be in connecting states.

3. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point on the geography. That's really interesting that Kansas City & St Louis, (both in Missouri in my mind) could have stadiums in not even neighboring states.

That's why I think that conferences are bad for soccer, at least at this point. I think that Houston's biggest rivals are Chivas & FCD. Many of the ways that I see the cookie crumbling in terms of conferences could see them split from one or the other depending on who gets into MLS next.

Maybe I overstate the rivalry between cities, but I know that I'd be bent if they put Dallas in a seperate conference than Houston. Would people there have similar feelings if StL was broken up from KC?

4. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the rivalry between KC and St. Louis isn't anywhere near the rivalry between St. Louis and Chicago.

5. Memit

Memit Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Yes , and that what Jeff Cooper and St.Louis is doing now by start playing in the league in their wonderful - 3D generation - soccer stadium .

6. Memit

Memit Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Actually , I heared that the league may be going back to the old 3 conference system for 2009 when St.Louis and Philly is in .
    Central Conference :
    Chicago - St.Louis - KC - Colombus

7. Chris '66

Chris '66 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Where did you here this?

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Would anyone else support a movement to increase funding to our schools? :confused: :p

Sorry - I normally don't point out such errors. This lot, however, caught my eye. :)

9. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you mean four conference system? I don't know. I thought the rivalries were more intense in the three conference system. I mean, you had fewer teams to truly hate. On the other hand, there is the real possibility that the teams that make the post-season would not be the top eight teams.

I suppose the breakdown would go like this (assuming Seattle and St. Louis.)

NY-DC-NE-TOR / Crew-StL-KC-Chi / Dal-Colo-RSL-Hou / LA-CDC-SJ-SEA

Subbing Philly for Seattle, maybe Philly in the East and Toronto moves into the Central? I could go with this.

10. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly what is going to happen. Jeff Cooper has been saying 2009 all along, and that's after extensive talks with the league. He has never once said anything about even a possibility of 2010 for StL. 09 is a done deal for Cooper, he just has to let the league take their time with the announcement.

Seattle as the other team is looking very likely, but Philly can still be in just one year later. The interesting thing will be a rush to be the 18th franchise. It might just wake up some dark horse cities.

11. bvolt3000

bvolt3000 New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Nashville
    whats colombus? is that near venezuela

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the number of cities that have been mentioned for possible franchises, I'm having a hard time imagining what city would be a dark horse!:)

The clear front-runners for #18 are currently Las Vegas and NY2.

Other cities that have been discussed in some level of seriousness or other are Milwaukee, Vancouver, Montreal, Atlanta, Phoenix, Minneapolis, San Diego, Miami, Portland and Cleveland.

Once-upon-a-time cities include Oklahoma City and San Antonio.

I guess I could go down the list of cities that have other major league sports teams. New Orleans. Tampa Bay. Sacramento. Detroit. Baltimore. Yeah, any of those would be serious dark horses.

I'd love for a dark horse to appear. Salt Lake has been a fun addition to the league, in a way. But the way MLS is working now, I think we can safely expect that they'll be only looking at the bigger cities here on in.

13. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, if KC gets their first choice in stadium sites, they will still be in Missouri, about 7 miles south of where Arrowhead currently sits. I am guessing we will hear something definite about both KC and St. Louis stadium sites within a few weeks of each other (KC in October, St. Louis/Collinsville in November).