Post-match: MORE MUST WIN MAYHEM! MLS MATCHDAY 24 CREW @ DOS HIGUAINS SATURDAY SEPT 11TH 8:00PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Sep 7, 2021.

?

result?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2021.
  1. Crew win by 2 or more aka Caleb Porter Master Class

15.4%
  2. Crew win by 1

17.9%
  3. Draw

38.5%
  4. Crew lose by 1

5.1%
  5. Crew lose by 2 or more aka coachbot 9000 disaster class

5.1%
  6. Bugs Bunny had the right idea - TKyle

2.6%
  7. Cry 4 me Argentina - Lucas scores gwg from direct free kick (Worth 10 points)

15.4%
  1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least United won today.

2. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true but with his salary I expect more.... lots more. Not just free kicks.

It blows my mind that I see people say he's better than GBS. Although most of those people probably never saw Guillermo play.

Minnman, stanger, Bill Archer and 2 others repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to bring the sheep league back for one night, just so we can talk about how baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad this team is.

4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget the Wooden Spoon! I'm pretty sure we have a shot at that. It's certainly more likely than making the playoffs.

5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like TFC had a death grip on the spoon this year.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Rigby was a better goalie...

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #107 Bill Archer, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    I just can't forget the preseason prediction show Shep did in 2008 on majorleaguesoccersoccer. When asked what had to happen for the Crew to win the Cup he laughed and said "Look, there's just no possible way the Crew can win the Cup"

As for the game last night, it cannot be denied that the Crew lost because Josh Williams did a stupid thing. It's kind of a theme this year; Harry did the same thing once, Keita did it a couple times, earning himself long stretches on the bench, and don't I recall even Mensah coughing up a goal on a stupid, lazy pass in the back 3rd?

Part of the problem of course is this play it out of the back and make 30 square/back passes bullshit that Porter insists on, no question. That shit always bites you sooner or later. Always has.

But the biggest problem, again, is that we don't score goals. One goddam defensive boner can't cost you games.

The old saying is that if you can't score you can't win and these guys just can't score. Period.

And sadly, that's just not something that magically changes this late in a season. This team, quite simply, is what it is: just not good enough.

We can stop looking for a resurrection. It ain't gonna happen. Blame Porter, blame Z blame whatever defender screwed up most recently, doesn't matter, and a little.tinkering around the edges isn't going to fix it.

In sports, the worst thing you can do is fall in love with a team that just won a championship and treat that roster as sacrosanct. Even now people are still horrified at the idea that this team needs to be gutted and rebuilt and that some players are untouchable.

It's time we close the book on 2021 but first we need to close the book on 2020.

The Crew is now just playing out the string. The only question is whether you really want to go into 2022 with this same roster.

porchlight and BlacknGold repped this.
  8. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin is giving them some competition for it as well.

9. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turned off the game in the 60th to watch Cowell, Pepi, Pomykal, Che, and Ferreira in the FCD-SJE game - much more worth my time

10. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Turned off before halftime. Watched Michigan. Lots and lots of yellow and a win. Go Iowa! Done with Crew soccer for the year. What a lazy display of effort by the Crew. Unwatchable

Bill Archer repped this.
  11. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really stoked we came from behind at home to beat Cincinnati so Porter could have a front seat to watch us play the brand of soccer he likes best for another two games. Stop me if you've heard this already but last night we "out played" the other team and came away with a loss, while never ever threatening to score. Really exciting stuff.

hangthadj, LaMacchia and Bill Archer repped this.
  12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the plus side, the lines at the food stands in LDC are going to shrink and shrink.

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next season will be awesome, basically no wait.

Bill Archer repped this.
  14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's for sure. The only one trying to get into my fridge is me.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Which United? Man U or one of the MLS teams imaginatively called United?

Glad I watched it on fast forward so it took less of my time. Zardes has been a hero for the Crew but as Bill said the team should be looking for an upgrade. Keep Gyasi and Berry for next year but find a better striker to start.

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wholeheartedly disagree on Zardes. In less than four full seasons with us, he's scored 48 regular season goals for us. If he doesn't score another one, that's still 12 goals a year, which ain't bad at all. Oh, and he's a national teamer.

ZipSix, the_rickler and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  17. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What does him being a “national teamer” have anything to do with it?

Frankly, I wish he wasn’t. At least he would be around more often.

Tobias C and Bill Archer repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a statement about his quality. If he's good enough to be on the national team, he must be somewhat decent. He's at least good enough that getting someone BETTER is not going to be an easy task.

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in fairness you have to say that getting a better AMERICAN is not going to be an easy task.

I just perused the MLS scorers list and I think the highest US player is Sapong tied for tenth with 28 other guys. Down at 20 I think Toye is a Yank as well. Neither one is any great shakes and I don't see them lining up for Berhalter any time soon.

Now I suppose it's an honor to be selected over those two chumps -somehow- but the point is that MLS isn't exactly boiling over with hot American scorers.

I like Gyassi a lot but there are a bunch of guys in MLS I'd trade him for.

Salacious Bum and Tobias C repped this.
  20. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We can point the finger at who’s not scoring but so far, neither Zardes or BWP (who has had multiple 20+ goal seasons) are scoring. To me, that says a lot more about the system and who’s around those two than it does them.

Tobias C, Sagz, ZipSix and 4 others repped this.
  21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in BWP's case, I think it's because he's old and slow.

But yeah -- hard to pin the blame on any one player on this team, because EVERYONE has struggled.

22. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are actually not struggling. They are playing the way their coach wants them to play and after ever game he tells us how pleased he is with it.

Kyle Crew and LaMacchia repped this.
  23. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    On Porter, I find it difficult to believe a two-time MLS Cup winner looks at what he's seeing out there and thinks it's all just bad luck. Then again, it could just be ego.

On Zardes, he's a Gold Cup national teamer. He's not going to see time ahead of Pepi, Dike, Sargent, Weah, Hoppe, etc. when they're available.

stanger repped this.
  24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, BWP had guys like Vela, Rossi, Atuesta, and Kaye making plays for him to simply finish off last year.

Shocker, he’s not a guy you just bomb crosses into from midfield. If I know this, you’d think Porter would know this…

That being said, I’ve never kicked a ball in a competitive match and can’t run a sub 6 minute mile, so what do I know.

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do believe you answered your own question with your last sentence.

YITBOS repped this.