More BushCo headaches - Gas shortages on East Coast; Plague of locusts to follow

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Revolt, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Well, most of us who post here can see that the situation is a problem bigger than what the current administration has or has not done. The Great Unwashed. however, will be led like sheep to slaughter by one of the 2 parties. The Dems will claim it was a Bush failure and the Reeps will claim that it was a problem that needs 10 years or so to correct and they'll blame Clinton for the inaction (slyly making it into an endictment of Democrats in general). Both parties will spin it into "If you vote for them they won't take care of the problem" and act as if it's high on their list of priorities. Once elected, the next President will stuff it into the round file because they don't pay for gas, so they couldn't care less.

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, I don't think the 'Blame Clinton' play will be very effective.

That said, Dubya is speaking out. Here's a pic (why is this guy such a ********ing ass-clown?):

[​IMG]

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/22/Bush.radio.ap/index.html

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

is that right? i can only assume you've studied these numbers then :cool:

last time i checked, the majority of people live in big cities where mass transit is available AND some people are actually smart enough to carpool as well

point being, it is often possible for someone to avoid driving a couple days a week if they so choose

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Low and moderate income folks tend to live closer to their jobs than those with higher income. And while lower income people DO tend to have more transit options than higher income people, the options are typically not as attractive (inner-city bus line versus suburban commuter rail).

But, there's no doubt that higher gas taxes disproportionately hits the poor. But higher gas taxes are increasingly recognized as a social good - to wean us off dependence on foriegn oil, to reduce congestion, to help the environment, etc.

The solution, IMO, isn't to engage in a hand-wringing exercise about the plight of gas costs/taxes on the poor; rather, a fairer tax code - the opposite of the recent reep tax cuts - could more than make up for increases in gas costs. Tax credits for small cars would be another option.

Its also true that the poor get screwed in just about every other aspect of our society, too. Their kids attend worse schools, they are more likely to live near transmission lines and factories, they have fewer health care options.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Isn't this guy supposed to have a degree in business? Rising energy prices are absolutly nothing like taxes.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    :rolleyes: The analogy being rising fuel prices are like a tax, you've little choice but to pay them. And the pain is most acute among the poor. Does every innocuous statement need to be dissected to the nth degree?

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Not sure if you have ever wondered where the rent is coming from, but I have been there. You do what you have to do.

My original point, which you apparently missed, is that earlier action might have had the effect of reducing demand and easing prices. The poor are going to be progressively worse off if we do nothing and prices rise to 5-6 bucks a gallon naturally.

If it makes you feel better, perhaps part of the gasoline tax to create an articial floor could actually go back as a low income subsidy for gas.

8. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, because they are totally and completly not alike. And by saying it, he is creating an incorrect belief about gas prices and espeically taxes.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You right, the poor aren’t in proportionally hurt by high fuel prices.

10. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm sure he meant to say "I feel your pain." :cool:

But seriously, it is nothing like a tax. He was right in that it hits lower income folks and small business owners. Wonder how he figured that out? :confused:

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    1) Yea, that first time whipping out the food stamps is a bitch.

2) I'm all for it, and I think that is the root of the floor gas tax proposal. By artificially inflating the price, it will drive demand for more fuel efficiency. We have had threads on hybrid/plug-ins that get 200 to 250 mpg for a whopping increase of .25 cents a day on your electric bill. The possibilities are out there.

3) That is what I am advocating. Set a floor of $4.00 or $4.50 now, and use that money to increase our efficiency and reduce our dependancy. We are heading there anyway, we might as well do it, and be proactive in getting our collective willy out of the oil drum. I like the idea of turning some of that money around as a subsidy for low income.

12. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do taxes do that? Last I checked federal and state taxes were progressive percentage of income.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i'm sorry, i'm not just buying your claims on this one

if you have some material to back this all up, i'd be happy to look at it

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why did you omit sales taxes? Payroll taxes? Sin taxes? There are plenty of regressive taxes in this country. The analogy is a good one.

15. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

It rained today

Is BushCo to blame Revolt ?

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    George you are en fuego today! I can't wait for your rapier-like retorts to the other forty-odd posts in this thread.

17. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is food taxed in your state? Which segment of the population uses Medicare and Medicaid most? Individual lower class people might have a higher percent of their checks going to Social Security than rich people, but the lower class, as a whole, is not getting poorer because the money goes back to them.
    Not, it just plain stinks. It creates a totally incorrect impression of the current situation.

First it serves to vilify taxes, as if it was a means of taking wealth from each person and then throwing it into a pit and burning it. It isn't. That money goes back to the people, so the wealth of the nation ends up being the same, give or take depending on the efficiency of the govermnent's handling of the money verses private uses. Most of the gas money is going overseas, which makes the overall wealth of America less in the future for the pleasure of using oil now. The effects on our economy is totally different.

Second, it imples that, like taxes, the price of oil might be modified to serve the common interest as seen by our representative govermnet. It can't. Poor people are screwed. There is no way to unscrew them. They are screwed beyond your and my comprehension of screwability.

18. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Foggy....

Must be BushCo's fault

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Ms. Hook is stealing my ideas. George, If I find out you leaked this....

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Everything seems to be zero-sum with you (i.e. your analysis of stock market investment), sorry but I disagree. Excessive taxes aren’t a zero sum gain. They represent an actual drag on the nation’s economy. And believe it or not there are regressive taxes, some mandatory others voluntary.

21. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Bush has done something - temporarily erasing environmental on gas formulation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060425/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush;_ylt=Ao4bjT_IqtyBES3dIpkhKjCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I've worked downtown and for those who work downtown that is true. Most all transit systems in the US are nothing more than downtown transportation systems. The problem is most jobs are not in the central cities, let alone located downtown. For example, Minneapolis and St. Paul have @467,000 jobs between the 2 of them. What the Met Counil calls developed suburbs have 685,000 jobs. What they call developing suburbs have another 400,000 jobs. There are over a million jobs there that for the most part are not transit accesible for most people. More so, the tranist does not runclose enough to their homes for them not to have to drive to catch it. And most cities in the US are going to reflect this. Even the larger metros like LA (18million; less than 4 million in LA proper), Dallas, Atlanta, DC, Houston and Detroit don't have what anyone would call extensive transit systems. And most of their jobs are not in the core cities but in the suburbs where it's even less likely that practical transit service is available.

There are several reasons why car pooling won't work. The main is how do you find out who lives close to each other and also works close to each other and then also has similar hours. Someone who lives on the west side of Savage and works in Bloomington near the the Mall of America may be in to work by 6:00am so they're by 3pm to make sure the kids aren't home alone after school for little if any time. Even if there happened to be someone near here working those hours, the issue becomes time. If the point of getting in early is to get home early, spending an extra 20 minutes in the afternoon car pooling probably doesn't sit well. It may seem like an usual situation but the average commute is the sum of all sorts of situations, many of which are unusual.

That's not to say that this situation can't change in the future. But it's hard to see that happening anytime in the next couple of decades. Even extensive transit projects like Denver's FasTracks still revolve around downtown. The only exception in the case of FasTracks is a line that runs along I-225.

23. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    My lunch was overcooked

BushCo is at it again !!

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Yesterday, you said that "ignore" lists were childish. In the context of elimintating opinions that you don't agree with, I would agree with you. You ignored the other possible function, and that is to get rid of posts from people who add zero in either substance or humor. Kind of like setting up a bulk mail to eliminate the spam.

25. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

If I did that this forum would appear empty to me