Montreal Expansion Thread - Name, Colors, Logo/Kit Design

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by Z010 Union, Apr 9, 2008.

1. vonlindner

vonlindner New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

Canadiens used to be called Canadian Athletic Club. But I don't mind, sure keep the impact.

I meant that Manu had a nickname (red devils) and arsenal (gunners) and so on... Ok, eager to see what the nickname will be :)

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For the sake of precision:

Le Club de Hockey Canadien = Canadien Hockey Club

In English, it was adapted as "The Canadiens", but in French it's still known as "Le Canadien" (ie The Canadien).

We all get that some people would rather change the Impact name (for one reason or another), and we ALSO know that it won't be changed. So let's move on to something less stale, such as the logo, or even a special strip, shall we?

3. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

i agree 100% with socrates.

4. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I'd like to see Montreal to go with the below as colours. No more with the single colour uniforms that infest MLS currently.

Home (for some reason all the royal blue coloured uniformed changed to navy blue before Montreal got in).

[​IMG]

Away (Basically the same of their current 3rd version but with black socks)

[​IMG]

5. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    Of course the person who wants pink jerseys is not a fan of the team at all.

6. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

True but those are actually good and more importantly unique unis and make sense being that Saputo is a fan of Palermo. I'm a fan of secondary kit being a completely different colour scheme from the primary kit.

7. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    It's alright as a third jersey, lame as an away jersey. I have no problem with it but having worn it in voyageurs cups.

Take the cup seriously, and wear your actual team colours.

8. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of like Arsenal?

Also, I will likely cheer for the team, but the team is really silly. Olympique Montreal sounds like a really cool name and might be a bit Europeanized, but it just sounds so much better.

I am going to lay it off now, since I know Montreal people don't want to have this discussion here. Even though the thread name says Montreal Expansion Thread - Name, Colors, Logo/Kit Design

9. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    You're a fan of Real Salt Lake.

Your opinion on names in the MLS is worse that a wizards fan.

10. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How about trying to contribute something instead of insulting on tenuous arguments?

I think a lot of people from elsewhere in MLS keep bringing up this "classy" issue with regards to the name without a proper knowledge of the Montreal scene - and that's why Montrealers are saying about "Olympique".

- It's a name that simply doesn't resonate in Montreal, with our 1976 Olympics known more as a flop and money drain than anything else.
    - The IOC has (supposedly) precluded any new teams from using the name (in the past decade or so?).
    - The name "Impact" is entrenched in the city's soccer culture, and the FO has indicated time and time again it's not looking to change it. It sounds like a lame name when you "think" about it, but here most people say it "automatically", so you forget what the actual word means and just think of the team - think Green Bay Packers or Seattle Sounders.

11. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    Because I said something tongue in cheek. I'm allowed to do that.

I don't have to give an argument, and besides, pretty much every page in this thread has the same "argument" about not changing the name posted on it.

12. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does Real Madrid, Real Sociedad, Real Betis, Real Zaragoza, Real Espana, Real Murcia, Real Oviedo, Real Sporting de Gijon, Real Atlantico, Real Avila, Real Shore FC, Real Union, Real Aranjuez, Real Mamore, Real San Jose, Real Club Deportivo Espanyol, and even Real Colorado Cougars.

All of them are awful teams because they use Real just like Real Salt Lake. Sure, Real Colorado Cougars or Real Salt Lake doesn't make much sense in the US since the King of Spain doesn't hold special patronage to these teams, but neither does it to Bolivia, Honduras, Puerto Rico, Brazil or New Jersey, but that is OK with them.

I think that advantage of the Europeanized branding is that there is little to no true branding attachment that is made to it. In essence, it allows the city to be and to remain the main brand of it, which is why it so cool. There is a difference in branding from Chivas USA to Dallas FC, or from Seattles Sounders to Real Salt Lake, or from Colorado Rapids to DC United.

What I say is that Impact is just kind of a silly name like Tampa Bay Mutiny or Kansas City Wizards. Free yourselves from having to do rebranding later, and make freaking awesome Montreal be the brand. Let the people, the fans, the culture be the brand. That is what you get with a generic European name that simply adds sporty title to city name.

13. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There WILL be a rebranding (which is why this thread, you know, exists), but the name will not be changed (possibly tweaked to something like "Impact Montréal FC"). There will be a new, more traditional logo, a change of uniform (but not colours), and a different "brand experience", as the Impact doesn't really have one right now, or rather hasn't really defined one besides "family-friendly".

As stated previously, the FO believes that history should carry forward, not be erased, especially when that history has nearly 20 years of stories and players, 3 league championships and many national cups.

Or, put another way, what if RSL were to rebrand in 15 years' time?

14. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

Lol, cmon with that, man....

And "let your city be the brand", and our culture, while advocating snatching naming conventions from France? Which contrary to North American belief, isn't super popular and emulated in this province.

This isn't France, this is Montreal. This is where the impact name has a history longer than the league, and will be the second oldest pro team in USA/Canada.

History is better off made, than to be hollowly emulated.

To snatch a European thing to use for this situation:

Ici c'est Quebec, Ici c'est Montreal, Ici c'est Impact.

15. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Hmmm... what about "Quebec Impact"? :cool:

16. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Repping Montreal at the Amsterdam Arena in April ;)

[​IMG]

That Expos logo is so classic.

17. jephweiser

jephweiser New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    KCMO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea when the new logo/name/brand will be unveiled? I remember hearing late May some time ago.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There's an easy joke there.;)

19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh oh
    somebody wanna start some sh*t
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    :confused:

21. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Because they no longer exist?

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Mostly, yeah.

23. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Haha less a joke and more just the reality of the situation, but I get it now :cool:

24. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    Well, to continue the sidetrack, the Expos logo is widely viewed as one of the best ever in MLB, and still to this day apparel with it is more popular than some actual active teams in the MLB.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I apologize for the threadjack, but for a while I was hoping they would just flip it upside down when they brought the team to DC.