Monday Night Downtime

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Kryptonite, May 19, 2014.

1. DanV

DanV BigTech

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My favourite kind of fix :)

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Seems to be working somewhat better now, but for example I just tried searching the USA Men: News & Analysis forum for "beasley". I checked the boxes for 'Search titles only', 'Search this forum only', and 'Display results as threads'.

Then the result was: 'No results found.'

Or can it actually be possible that that forum's archive has no threads in with "beasley" in the title? (seems hard to believe...)

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I replicated your search and also got no results. Then I went to USA Men (not USA Men: News & Analysis like you) and sorted the topics by name:

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/usa-men.131/page-63?order=title&direction=asc
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/usa-men.131/page-64?order=title&direction=asc

Those two sites combined to find 36 topics starting with Beasley, excluding incorrect spellings of his name and excluding "Beasley's" since a search for Beasley wouldn't find them. In USA Men: News & Analysis:

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/usa-men-news-analysis.180/page-56?order=title&direction=asc
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/usa-men-news-analysis.180/page-57?order=title&direction=asc

Those two sites combined to find 35 topics starting with Beasley, again excluding incorrect spellings of his name and excluding "Beasley's" since a search for Beasley wouldn't find them.

4. DanV

DanV BigTech

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hmm, it appears that the "Display Results as Threads" is affecting things. Unchecking that and lots of results come back.

I'll do some more digging to see what's up, seems like a bug in the software. May need to file a report for it.

5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    #80 Totoro, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    Anyone else occasionally seeing page load errors from Cloud Flare, saying the connection to Cloud Flare is good, but not the connection to Big Soccer? (Sorry I did not take down the text verbatim.)

Edit: some info:

No cached version of this page is available.

Error 520 Ray ID: 131fb1fe9ec20103
    Web server is returning an unknown error

[Then I get a diagram (L to R):]
    Code:
    You         Dallas           forums.bigsoccer.com
    Browser <-> CloudFlare <->  Host
    Working      Working           Error

What happened?

There is an unknown connection issue between CloudFlare and the origin web server. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

What can I do?

If you are a visitor of this website:
    Please try again in a few minutes.

If you are the owner of this website:
    There is an issue between CloudFlare's cache and your origin web server. CloudFlare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. To help support the investigation, you can pull the corresponding error log from your web server and submit it our support team. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page). Additional troubleshooting resources.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I saw that the other day, but thought it was something on my end so I didn't pay too much attention to it.

7. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
  8. DanV

DanV BigTech

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  9. DanV

DanV BigTech

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hmm, this shouldn't be a regular occurrence. Possibly a blip if I'm on the server doing a bit a maintenance. If it keeps happening, please let me know.

Cheers,

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    #85 sitruc, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    It's nice that tweets can more easily be embedded by using the media button now, but there are still issues with quotes that include embedded tweets having a limited size so not all media objects in the tweet can be seen.

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'm getting a 520 error repeatedly on my iPad. Too technically challenged to fully explain.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I have seen several of these as well. Two within the last few minutes.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    @DanV

Yeah, something is definitely wrong. Tons of 520, website offline errors.

14. DanV

DanV BigTech

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hmm, our servers are not going offline at all. And no load spikes to speak of. Nor have any of our monitors triggered this error.

Looking into that error code, this appears to be related to the size of the header that the forum responds with, which Cloud Flare doesn't like. Since our monitors aren't triggering it, I suspect its related to the forum's cookies.

I'm still digging into it, seeing if I can find a way to recreate it.

The next time it happens can you post your RayID that appears on the error page?

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I got a 522. Am I special?

No cached version of this page is available.

Error 522 Ray ID: 13456a7843d7084a
    Connection timed out
    You
    Browser
    Working
    Ashburn
    CloudFlare
    Working
    forums.bigsoccer.com
    Host
    Error
    What happened?
    The initial connection between CloudFlare's network and the origin web server timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

What can I do?
    If you're a visitor of this website:
    Please try again in a few minutes.

If you're the owner of this website:
    Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not completing requests. An Error 522 means that the request was able to connect to your web server, but that the request didn't finish. The most likely cause is that something on your server is hogging resources. Additional troubleshooting information here.

CloudFlare Ray ID: 13456a7843d7084a • Your IP: • Help • Performance & security by CloudFlare

16. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to the CloudFlare errors, I have been getting this error seemingly at random when clicking on threads or forums:

[​IMG]
    Error
    Unfortunately there was an error while trying to retrieve the page you are looking for.

Click here to try again.

17. DanV

DanV BigTech

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A plugin is misbehaving right now, which is what's causing all the issues tonight.

I'm slapping it around to get it inline.

18. DanV

DanV BigTech

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ok, plugin is back to running smoothly again. Servers are much happier.

Couple more performance tweaks in place now too to handle things like this a big more gracefully.

Cheers,

19. DanV

DanV BigTech

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fixed :)

Twitter plugin had a max on it's height when quoted.

sitruc repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :cautious:

21. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There still seems to be a problem. For example, in this post the tweets show up at first, then when the image loads it shows incomplete (and on top of the text). I'm running Firefox on Windows.