Monday morning second guessing

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this episode shows how not having an owner is hurting the Burn.

Normally, in a situation like this, the owner would tell the coach to empasize winning the league games and to make the Open Cup game a lower priority.

And if, unfortunately, the Burn lost the Open Cup game, the owner would ensure that each player received an envelope containing a few thousand dollars to ease their disappointment.

2. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    If I were owner, I would have the coach go about exactly as he is doing it. MLS is still in the regular season. This is the semi-final of the Open Cup. In the grand scheme of things the Supporters shield means little as to who will be MLS champ. Only two teams have gone on to win the MLS Cup after winning the supporters shield: DC in 97 and KC in 2000.

Countdown is T-5 hours. I can hardly wait for this game to get started.

La locura rojinegra

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true, but the key for the Burn is to enter the playoffs with either the 1st seed or 3rd seed.

By playing our regular starters tonight, we're increasing the likelihood of a loss Thursday and ending up in the 4th seed spot.

And since San Jose is 11-0-1 at home and LA is 10-1-2, our chances to make the MLS Cup go from about 50% to 20% should we be seeded 4th rather than 1st or 3rd.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does anyone really see us losing thursday?

5. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I didn't see the Burn losing last night to the Galaxy either.

But that said, I am somewhat certain that the Burn will butcher the Metrostars. Now that the Open Cup has been lost, they know that MLS Cup is the payday, and the way to get there is to get ahead of San Jose. San Jose and LA have two straight, and neither team is going to get 6 points. Not the way I see it. Meanwhile, the Burn will be screaming for blood tomorrow, and then have 10 days off to get ready to exact a price on Twellman's head. Then on the DC who will be out of it by then.

All season they have come back from losses and redeemed themselves and their season. Not once have they gone into a tailspin after a loss. So now's the time to make their season. I think they know that if they don't win the next 3 and get the Supporters Shield, they've screwed their regular season.