Monday 5 April 2021

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Covid-19 ‘concerns’ force Phoenix Rising to cancel match vs. Sounders
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/so...ising-to-cancel-match-vs-sounders/ar-BB1fikUr

Austin FC scores first-ever goal against MLS competition, but drops La Copita preseason opener
    https://www.kxan.com/sports-general...etition-but-drops-la-copita-preseason-opener/

Kaku Romero to return to New York Red Bulls
    https://en.as.com/en/2021/04/04/football/1617555068_232362.html

Chivas player Isaac Brizuela rejected offers from MLS
    https://en.as.com/en/2021/04/04/football/1617488835_190939.html

superdave and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  2. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's name the badge:
    CAG.png

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  3. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winner, winner ... Atlas FC from Liga MX

5. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

[​IMG]

stlwahoo, superdave and mbar repped this.
  8. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa repped this.
  9. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good in theory, I just hope teams don't try and abuse the rule. I'm assuming they think the sign off of this impartial 'Venue Medical Director' on any possible concussion calls along with the opposing team also getting a substitution will curtail that...we'll have to wait and see how it does in actual practice.

CeltTexan, JasonMa and footballfantatic repped this.
  10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Right, I'm thinking especially the other team getting a sub too will really disincentivize shenanigans.

superdave and footballfantatic repped this.
  11. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good point.

12. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I can’t say I’m a fan of the new concussion subs rule.

Before you jump on me for being a horrible backwards concussion denier or something, please hear me out.

First of all, we need to acknowledge that the decision to or to not substitute a potentially-concussed players still rests with the teams under this rule. This is problematic because the teams are worrying about more than just the player’s health; they also are concerned with the tactical impact the move will have in the match. Yes, giving them a substitute and allowing the other team to match them helps alleviate these concerns, but there are still situations where it may be tactically beneficial to leave a player on. If your team’s star player gets concussed, but you have no one decent to replace him with, we’re still left with the old problem of teams being hesitant to take that player out. This is especially true if you know the opponents have a deeper bench, which they can take advantage of with the additional substitution.

So, I come to the conclusion that these decisions must not be made by the teams, but by independent medical professionals with the sole power to remove a player from a game (temporarily or permanently). The teams should have no say in this decision.

And given that system, what is the need to add all these extra substitutions? If the teams can’t control whether or not a concussed player returns to the game, there’s no need to incentivize their removal with additional substitutions: the team will be mandated to take them off anyways (and either expend a real substitution or play with fewer player).

As others brought up, with the system MLS has adopted, it’s possible to see 9 substitutions made per team in a game. There’s no need for this. The adopted system doesn’t even address the problem (teams making their own decisions about concussion safety) while adding the potential for a ludicrous number of subs to be used.

So, don’t just blindly support this system because it makes it look like the league is trying to do something for head injury safety. Their intent may be noble, but this implementation is horrible.

Honore de Ballsac and MPNumber9 repped this.
  13. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    As I mention in my comment above (but would like to highlight again here): if there’s an independent doctor who has the power to pull players off, without needing the team’s permission, why do we need extra subs in the first place? There’s no need to provide an incentive to the teams to bring the player off if the teams don’t get to make the decision.

14. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that different than a guy who breaks his leg after the 3 subs have been made? I think having the independent doc is probably a good idea, but I'm not a fan of additional subs. I think we should go back to 3 anyway. How have the two extra subs helped the game? If your team isn't fit enough to go 90, rotate your lineup. If your bench isn't deep enough to support the rotation, then build a better roster. MLS salary rules hamstring us, but they hamstring everyone equally.

Or do line changes like hockey, where 10 dudes just run onto the field during the middle of a play and the other 10 run off simultaneously.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The difference is that nothing visible is broken, and guys have been playing with a concussion, which poses long-term damage to their career and their life. Concussion happens to have accumulative effects-after you've had a couple, it's substantially easier to get more of them, and if you've had a lot of them, there can be long-term or permanent consequences.

Basically, there's not much similar to a broken leg.

JasonMa and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Repped because we should go back to fewer subs anyway. I don't think facilitating the berzerker pressing game makes the sport necessarily better. And we know how college ball can look with unlimited subs to just run through a brick wall. "Ok now it's your turn, Caden."

CeltTexan and SabreKhan repped this.
  18. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... hence the independent doctor to make the call whether the player continues or not. That guy has no incentive to allow a player to keep playing with a concussion. If the doc says he has a concussion, he comes off, sub or no sub.

StarTime and JasonMa repped this.
  19. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching Atlanta vs. Alajuelense last night, I strongly reconsidered my 4th sub opinions. Guzan got red carded, then shortly thereafter Rios Novo (the backup keeper) got kicked in the head. He was fine and made some massive saves late in the game. But if he'd had to come off for injury in the 58th minute it would have been a field player in goal for 37 minutes and Atlanta would surely have lost the game (not because we were out of subs, but because we only brought two keepers). What if there'd been a 3rd keeper on the bench, but we were out of subs?

After thinking hard about it, I still like 3 subs with no exceptions for injury. Fate is a cruel mistress sometimes. Life is hard; suck it up.

20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 4/5 should be a thing that sticks around. The quality of play is better over the course of 90 minutes and it allows for more new blood to get game experience. It saves wear and tear on the star players (provided rotation management happens). You get your stars playing better, without injury, for more of the season. Maybe 4 field subs and an extra GK sub. One extra field sub for extra-time in multi-leg tourney matches.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would get Bob Bradley's support

ElJefe, sitruc, CeltTexan and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The player, of course, has every incentive to lie, since if he tells the truth his team will have 10 men. And one can imagine the pressure on the medic who has to make these decisions to err on the side of permissiveness.

23. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are you going to lie about pupil dilation and reflex tests? The NFL has this same type of protocol, and it seems to work OK for them.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The NFL has. . . unlimited substitutions tho?

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  25. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Which I don't want. I do want the independent doctor to tell the team this player's done for the day, though.

JasonMa repped this.