Modern Warfare3

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ringo, May 23, 2011.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure this game deserves it's own thread.

First trailer is out:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coiTJbr9m04&hd=1"]YouTube - ‪Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reveal Trailer‬‏[/ame]

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it looks to have copious amounts of badassery

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    This game looks a million times better than Blops, it's probably going to be exactly the same as MW2 in SP with more scripted events but that's what it does best.

Interesting to see what they do with MP, they need to evolve it more than just adding more unlocks.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    frankly, I don't even care about the single player .... it's all about multiplayer for me.

5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Sledgehammer games listed next to IW but not Raven Software. With everything that has happened internally and at least one other studio; for certain, brought in I am completely open to see how all aspects of this game will turn out... please let the rumor of spec ops returning be true.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hated Blops, with a passion. The gameplay trailer here looks ok. To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of just watching shit getting blown up. A little story goes a long way. Is it just me or do some shots look like they were done for the first MW, quality wise.

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well they are still using the same engine they have been since MW which is based on id Tech 3 which is the Quake 3 engine so they really are pushing it to the absolute limits. It's no wonder it's starting to show it's age when you have games like Gears 3, Crysis 2 and Killzone 3 looking as good as they do.

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's more of a problem of having Activision in charge than anything else. They're milking the CoD name as much as they can so they don't really care about the quality of the games. They know a crap load of people are going to buy the game. With them removing the heads of Infinity Ward, and a lot of the employees jumping ship as well, I think it hurt the quality of the games going forward.

9. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree Activision is gonna bleed this game dry, its tough to say right now if the IW shake up is gonna be a bad thing. For me MW2 was a step down from the first and maybe that decline is on those who left IW. Maybe Sledgehammer and whoever else worked on this game can breath new life into the franchise while maintaining the solid gameplay.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when you have more than one studio working on a game it's a detriment to the game.

11. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood? That game had multiple studios working on it and was great.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was developed by Ubisoft Montreal, who worked on both of the other main Assassin's Creed games. The multiplayer was developed by Ubisoft Annecy. And it seems to be the exception to the rule.

13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I never really understood how people can love one of the post COD4 games in the series and then hate another when they have all been largely the same game, with a new coat of paint and slightly tweaked numbers.

What I want out of the next COD:
    A netcode that feels like it belongs in a 21st century game
    Maps designed for team based multiplayer gaming - no more huge sandbox maps with absolutely no flow.
    A matchmaker that at least attempts to balance teams. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a team of new level 10-30s thrown against a team full of 5-10th prestige players, or the end of round shuffle put all of the top performers of the previous round on one team and the weakest on another team.

Couldn't care less about the single player (didn't even touch it in BOps). I wonder how long until Activision realize that a large portion of the players never bother with it, and release a multiplayer only COD to cut down on development costs.

14. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's good to know what day I will be taking off work this fall so far in advance...

I enjoyed BlOps... and still play the mp from time to time (double xp weekends definitely)...

so yeah... i take what they are feeding...

when it comes down to it, mathematics shows that i am getting a good deal on it...
    for BlOps:
    $65 / 144 hours minimum i have spent playing the game (over 5 days on mp) = $.45 per hour... plus, all that money i DIDN'T spend at a bar on a friday night

i get my fill of these games and am entertained, despite the fact that some of the CoD are better than others...

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on of those people that actually plays the single player, and BLOPS was a miserable failure to me. MW2 was too short and a little disappointing, W@W was a big meh. Is it too hard to have a good story?

Personally I haven't been serious with and CoD multi-player mode since Modern Warfare. I played some World at War, maybe a total of 3 hours on MW2 and absolutely zero on BLOPS. The MP just doesn't interest me anymore and since I rarely play it I hate jumping into a game and getting overran by 12 year old pottymouths.

16. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VGt5Onx0_I"]YouTube - ‪Modern Warfare 3: ******** Yeah Edition‬‏[/ame]

IW should have used this trailer instead

17. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be honest... I'm probably going to skip this and opt for Battlefield 3. *ducks*

18. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Black Ops had terrible lag and connectivity issues on PC, for one.

Also, Black Ops' maps were mostly uninspired, and you'd be surprised just how much good level design can make or break a game. American McGee's Alice, for example, was a mediocre game that rode high due to interesting maps, while several entries in the Jedi Knight series were hampered by crappy level design despite being otherwise excellent games.

19. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Initially I was the same way but now I'm done kidding myself and accepting the fact that I'll be getting both.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    battlefield 3 looks awesome

i will probably get this too but i diddn't enjoy black ops solo missions much

i play both online and solo

i hope they get rid of some of the rieiculous kill streak rewards

21. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I hope Battlefield 3 comes out after MW3 so I can play the SP and some MP then get sick of it and move over to BF.

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^^^agree, that's what i did with mw2 and bf2

23. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An early December release date would be great but my guess has been for an early October release. For what its worth Gamefly has B3 listed for a 11/1/11 release.

SPEC OPS is back!

link to Game Hunters article

24. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Black Ops maps for multiplayer were lightyears ahead of what MW2 shipped with. MW2 maps were completely nonsensical for team play, promoted camping, and were bursting with clutter.

With regards to connectivity issues - Black Ops was far better for me(PS3) than MW2. There was a lot less lag, although the connectivity issues from MW2 popped up. One of the Treyarch patches did end up fixing it, whereas IW never fixed the connectivity issues on PS3 before I quit. Towards the end of my MW2 days I was managing to complete 1 game every hour.

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the first multiplayer trailer. Some interesting things: a drone that appears to tag enemies (so that your team can shoot them? does that override coldblooded?), a robot that looked like johnny5 and drove around shooting, an 'enhanced UAV' (I assume like the blackbird in Black Ops). one map looked like downtown paris, say london in there. looks fun.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUIy9snIk-E"]Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Tango Down Multiplayer Trailer - YouTube[/ame]