Mod note: Post nice

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Wahoo, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    There have been a number of newcomers to the Yanks Abroad boards over the past month or so that have been pretty much attacked or hassled.

When someone new posts on this area, they are not necessarily trolling.... even if they have a different opinion on player skills or teams or whatever. Sometimes these posters have actual information that we don't have - and I've gotten too many PMs from posters saying they got tired of the headaches.

Maybe I've been too lenient with name calling or attacks on persons rather than ideas... but lets clean it up please. To post on Yanks Abroad you shouldln't have to go through a hazing ritual or agree with everyone else out there.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well said, although you might want to simply substitute BigSoccer for Yanks abroad . I remember thinking when I first posted here, "I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition." I guess my thoughts were somewhat heretical. :cool:

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The BigSoccer hazing ritual was nothing compared to that Omega Psi Phi ritual.

That was brutal.

[Otter from Animal House]Wahoo is right, psychotic, but right.[/Otter]

4. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Just a hint.... in a thread titled "post nice" wouldn't it be good to refrain from certain types of posts?

I really didn't intend for this thread to have much discussion... just pointing it out.
    I'm hoping some people will police themselves.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sticky it?

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Wahoo should have added that it's open season on the newbies that have it coming. :)

But seriously, the flipside of this coin is that we do encourage folks who are new to a forum or BigSoccer to spend some time reading and doing homework rather than diving in and trying to become the center of discussion. Both sides should be polite. I could propose that Mia Hamm should get a haircut and start for the National team but that doesn't make me a genius.

7. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Foz comes crashing through the wall with trumpets blaring..

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

(what, you didn't see that coming?)

8. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    VERY CORRECT
    Newbies should not jump in right away without doing a little homework... especially on sensitive topics.

Yes we get some trolls here. Those are rightly run off ;)
    Sometimes these are easy to spot. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they are a troll or just ignorant. Maybe all I'm asking is to try an explanation first. If they are ignorant, they will learn. If they troll and defy logic and facts, well.... open season I guess :eek:

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    With all due respect, no matter how many times a mod posts something like this everyone will always assume he's talking to the other guy... you jerk.

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Wahoo - Looks like you might want to PM Dave directly - the subtle thing ain't working!

11. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Yeah, like I couldn't have figured that on my own.... jeesh! :rolleyes:
    Supermods are always right though..... ;)

As for DMN - I don't know why we let him post here anyways...
    I think half the list he has are made up anyway --- like there really is a Robert, Steven, or Jeremy Cue playing in Germany...

[so how well does sarcasm come across in these?]

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    What exactly is a troll?

How do we define that

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey,hey,hey.where's the sarcasm tags?!:p

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think there should be a sensitive topic thread then: SFS/Friedel/Keller/Hahnemann hairlines, Freddy Adu's ability to legally buy alcohol in the US, the winner of the imaginary match between the Columbus Crew and Arsenal, Frankie Hejduk's crossing ability (sensitive only to Frankie Hejduk), BLTLeo's hereto unmentioned subjects of adoration, et cetera et cetera.

16. house

house Member

Dec 27, 1998
    Inver Grove Heights, Minn.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True dat! I've got friends who are, ``Q's''