Mo Johnston made BAD MOVES!!!

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by vanquish910, Oct 14, 2007.

1. vanquish910

vanquish910 New Member

May 13, 2007
    Ok, I know its just TFC's first season but you know what this was the time to build a team with mostly young players but Mo gave up picks, Eskandarian to get Cunningham, what did Jeff the HOG do? mmmm miss countless breakaways. Then MOron goes and gets Samuel, what does Samuel do??? HOG the ball. Gala is a promising talent how much time does he get none. Brennan is a waste of time, gets beaten all the time. The best move Mo made is go get Marshal, a hard working no nonsense Defender, of course a little clumsy at time. Braz is stupid, the idiot is too busy complaining to ref while his marke is flying past him. Reda just sucks. The teams heart and soul are Wynne, Edu, Gala, Robinson, O'brien and Dichio. Can't blame any of the goalies except Djekanovic, the rest were mostly left out to dry by Brennan and co, of course we are also missing Sutton. What really gets to me is that Mo gave up picks for Cunningham, for a 30+ years old player who was clearly ineffective, he gave up the future. We have no playmaking midfield and Mo goes and gets washed up strikers. Dichio is good at what he does but we need a striker that is young and talented and by no means does the Lombardo comes to mind. Samuel is FAT, hey only Ronaldo can score 3 goals in the world cup despite having a gut. Cunningham, I am f'n fed up with this jack-ass missing his chances, once is ok, twice, we can let it slide but 3-5 times a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F'n pissing off. One can argue that we have not playmaker in the middle, sure thing, is MOron doing anything about it??? Nope. Does MOron have a plan? Nope. We can clearly see during the game, defence boots the ball up, we lose the posession and we are under attack. There are those rare flashes of brilliance from the players I praised that produces something. But MOron here is useless. I hate to admit some of the American MLS fans were right about MOron at the beginning of the season, and I quote "Good job Toronto, great atmosphere, just lose the coach". We should lose MOron.

2. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hate to trot out the old excuses but O'Brien's injury really denied us a playmaking talent for much of the season. I can appreciate the criticism of trading Esky for Cunningham on a playing level but it was important to get a couple of veterans to help the team gel for the first season or two (Marshall, Dunivant, Cunny etc). Keep in mind Esky has scored 1 goal all season for RSL. There are different players to build a team around... ie Lombardo, Dichio, "mystery big-name player"

3. mikey99

mikey99 Member

May 15, 2007
    Meh, and you would be so much better than mo?

4. T.Reds

T.Reds New Member

May 18, 2007
    Toronto
    Lets see what Mo has in store for us, in the 2nd season. I do feel Mo isnt the best manager around but every deserves a second chance and I am willing to give him, so should all of us.

5. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Let's give Mo some time. He's had to deal with an expansion draft, Canadian content restrictions and a redonkulous number of player injuries. It's too early to judge his performance at this point.

6. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can't agree with everything here. Mo has 2 first round draft picks this year so what exactly did he give away...and the 1 thing Mo is best at is drafting.
    Cunningham, yeah he misses alot but in order to miss alot you have to get a lot of chances...which he was until Dichio went down and O'brien went out and of course...oh ya, he tore his abdomen. Was all that Mo's fault? In fact when all those 3 were in it looked like we could be a factor.
    Brennan horrible...your out of your mind...he does waaaaay much more good than bad. Samuel ok you win.
    Marshall overall was a nice pick up. Dunnivant/Goldthwaite..I like Goldy better but really this is a wash.
    He had no choice with Braz, Reda, Lombardo, Pozniak as MLS tied TFCs hands with a Cdn "domestic" quote. Not sure if 1 or any of those guys could be a factor in MLS but not yet thats for sure

When you get thrown mostly castaways and 12th men on each team what exactly did you expect to get. In the middle of the season after all the trades and before all the injuries, the way we were playing was a shoo in for a playoff spot (and we started 0-5)...what more can you ask for a 1st year team. As it turns out...wrong injuries turned us into a reserve squad without the ability to create significant scoring.

Lets see his draft ability again, hopefully get a gem or 2, find a couple other players and in this league you can get competing again really soon.

7. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Great post:)

8. ag futbol

ag futbol New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Toronto
    The more you look at it the "expansion draft" is a load of crap. I looked over the list and Mo Johnston actually did a pretty good job selecting those players. MLS teams generally don't have much depth and the back end of rosters are pretty terrible.

The only thing an expansion draft is doing is sandbagging new teams with a bunch of crap players.

9. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I suppose that next year will be a true test of Mo as a coach - how does San Jose's 2008 expansion team compare against TFC's 2007 team. But then again they might not run into the same injury problems as well have.

10. KWorld

KWorld Red Card

Mar 15, 2006
    At Home
    Even if you give Ho, I mean Mo a million chance he'll still suck at what he's doing. The guy just isn't bright enough to be a football manager. He F*ed NY up and now doing the same thing to TFC. Just wait until next season and see! It's going to be the same 'ol story.

11. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    everyone's a critic :rolleyes: please people, get off your high horse and STFU because we all know you wouldn't even be able to do half as good of a job as Mo has done.

didn't your mother ever tell you "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anythign at all"?

12. TFCSteve

TFCSteve Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Toronto
    Seriously, give him another year. Most people that complain about the expansion draft, and Mo trading away all the players he got, have no idea how the expansion draft even works. I think his moves on players were fine, he definitely made some questionable signings (samuel, welsh) but he made some good ones too. He is hiring a full time strength and conditioning coach for next year to address the concerns that the team isn't fit enough (and the injury concerns). The only question I really have in my mind is his tactical ability mid game, but with the depleted roster he was working with this year, I don't know how much is just a shortcoming, and how much is working with what he has.

13. TFCBlue

TFCBlue Member

Feb 7, 2007
    KW, Sec 223
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not a fan of Mo, but you can't slag everything he's done.

- Eskandarian to get Cunningham - looked good at the time, the extent of his injuries couldn't be foreseen
    - Samuel - agree - fat sam doesn't belong here
    - Gala - at least he has been getting a chance
    - Brennan - when fit, Brennan plays very solid - he is the face of TFC
    - Marshall - he's settled and proven a decent swap for Buddle. Then again, for all the critism that Buddle received, he likely would have been top scorer this season.
    - Braz is stupid - I couldn't agree with you more
    - Reda just hasn't had a chance to impress - jury is out (even with the red)
    - The teams heart and soul are Wynne (yes! I just hope we can hang onto him next season), Edu (improving but he's a defensive midfielder not the playmaker we need), Gala (please? maybe someday), Robinson (ok), O'brien (yes) and Dichio (I'll get slammed for this, but I'm not sure he's a starter next year if we can get someone with pace).
    - Djekanovic - too inexperienced
    - Sutton - good backup
    - Mo gave up picks for Cunningham - maybe so, but if he'd stayed healthy along with a couple of others, we might have been looking at a playoff spot this year
    - We have no playmaking midfield - absolutely agree - I said near the start of the year this was our biggest problem and think it will be next year if we have two defensive midfielders in the centre.

The one you missed that I still think was wrong was Goldthwaite - he obviously fell out with Mo but I think he was a lot more capable going forward, and had a good partnership with Brennan.

Looking forward to next year, it'll be interesting to see who we can add and who has to go. I think we'll have a decent first 11, but we're going to continue to struggle with depth.

14. mikenike

mikenike Member

May 31, 2007
    You might want to keep that quote in mind the next time you decide to post.

15. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's different when someone has a chance to fight back son, not when they are in the public light and you are simply slandering them without a chance for them to answer you back.

16. LombardoSucks

LombardoSucks New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mo needs to sign Edu and Wynne to long term contracts, or TFC will lose both to Europe in the near future. MLSE has money to burn, so he has NIL excuse.

As for a midfielder: As I keep saying, Mo, Go to Africa in January. Watch these guys play, and bring a pen, a contract and Canadian dollars. And some pictures of Canadian women. Anything to find the next Essien or Drogba. etc, etc. Every EPL and Serie A team has a dozen scouts at the African cup, all Mo has to do is follow them, like a lapping dog. At minimum, he might learn something about the game, like passing, and strategy, and playmaking.

As for Milosevic, he may become the worst player Mo signs, not because he is crap, but because Mo will think he is done, and do nothing productive until the middle of the next season.

17. T.Reds

T.Reds New Member

May 18, 2007
    Toronto
    I totally agree with your Cdn Women pics.

18. v00d00daddy

v00d00daddy Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto
    how about taking a little of your own advice. or your mom's advice as it were. sorry jadger. had to do it.

zzzz
    # 41 [​IMG] Re: The "Long Ball" posted 12 Oct 2007, 10:53 AM
    BigSoccer Member

[​IMG]
    Club: TFC, gli Azzurri
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jadger [​IMG]
    so... what racist remarks did I make then? please, quote me. I said the Italian National team is well known for diving, which it is. how is that racist? I didn't know 11 players was a race? If I were racist, don't you think I would of called you "Gino" or some other inflammatory word based on your ethnicity by now?

not really, when we're out somewhere and a Gino is showing off his Gino in his Inter or Azurri jacket, I can just show them up with my even more beautiful gf, with an even sicker jacket, from an even better team

jadger
    09 Aug 2007, 03:04 AM
    Re: FC Bayern Uniform Thread

when the user making such claim only says so cuz they are either a fan of that team or are a Gino cheering for whatever Italian team is successful at the moment.

jadger
    05 Aug 2007, 01:00 PM
    Re: Lalas: "If we had it to do over again..."

for one it's FOOTBALL, we don't speak Gino in Canada. and 2nd: I think you just totally answered my question, saying Chivas has the only good lookin girls then calling it Futbol, lol... personally, I dont think bearded ladies are that hot.

jadger
    28 May 2007, 11:15 AM
    Re: TFC Cheerleaders?

nor surprising coming from a Gino... I still havent seen someone from the civilized world in support of flares.

jadger
    28 May 2007, 11:13 AM
    Re: Flares

We are talking about the LEAGUES here, not just one or two teams that seem to buy their victories *cough* Juventus *cough* AC Milan. never mind that there have been 7 German ballon d'or winners, and what's that? only 5 Gino winners. oh my

jadger
    20 May 2007, 12:21 AM
    Re: America Weeps

Or you can interpret it a different way, they save the more popular gino-leagues (Serie A and La Liga) to later in the show, so that people will watch the whole report.

jadger
    18 May 2007, 02:40 AM
    Re: America Weeps

19. ag futbol

ag futbol New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Toronto
    Let's not start that one again, it just goes nowhere.

What's this "oh you can't criticise unless you can do better" stuff? real practical. Using that logic not a single person who writes in the newspaper could have told me Gili was the crappiest movie ever (despite the fact it was). Try as they might I doubt Ebert & Roper would do better than Ben Affleck (although 2 months of acting school might put it over the top).

It's kind of like we all bitch the CSA sucks, can we do better? really? doubt it. But we can recognize that they are ineffective and need replacing.

It's still too early to completely judge mo Johnston but let's not act like a bunch of lemmings.

20. v00d00daddy

v00d00daddy Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto
    you're right on both counts. it will go nowhere and i was just stirring the pot for not good reason but some of his posts bug me...anyways...he'll give his retort and it will end there...promise.

as for mo...i'm not a big fan and wouldn't be sad to see him go but it was season 1. we already know he's back for next year so i guess we have one more year to see what he's got. personally i don't think it's very much but we'll see.

21. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I stopped reading after this.

22. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well, before you start turning this thread into a flaming war, you should NOT quote someone who has only come on here to slander me (ZZZZ is that person) and totally types in his own words to my statements so that they say something totally different than they originally did, NOTICE HOW HE NEVER GAVE A LINK TO THOSE QUOTES.
    that's different because it is blindingly obvious, whereas as people have stated in this thread and countless others, it isn't so clear cut in the case of TFC and Mo. Whereas Mo is starting from a brand new team, the CSA is controlling a team that's been around longer than anyone alive. Let's see, a brand new expansion team vs. former World #2 team, who's fncked up more? I think it's obvious.

23. zzzz

zzzz New Member

May 11, 2007
    Toronto, Sec 221
    Oh good lord ...

click on 'Search'
    click on 'Advanced Search'
    in 'Search by Key Word' enter "gino"
    in 'Search by User Name' enter "jadger"
    in 'Show Results as' click on "Posts"
    click 'Search Now'

(basic on-line lesson over)

Compare for yourself. There is no need to make stuff up to make you look like a fool.

(Sorry mods but I had to respond to this. I promise, no more replies to jadger until he says something stupid about Italians again)

24. ag futbol

ag futbol New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Toronto
    If you're saying it's too early to completely judge i agree, if you think it's too early to say anything about his performance i don't. I wasn't comparing Mo Johnston's perfomance to the CSA, I was critiquing the idea that you can't criticize anything unless you can personally do better, using the CSA as an example.

It's the same thing as saying Edu was a good draft pick. Should we be holding back judgement on that one because we're not qualified to say so or because it's too early? The same goes with some criticisms of the team. We're Samuel and Welsh both bad signings? Definately.

25. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For an expansion team you guys are a decent side. You have the core group of a really good side. Just need to go out and feed 2 or 3 impact players. Mo can get it done. Edu is a rising star and O'Brien is probably the best right mid in MLS.