Mo Edu: Back at Stoke[R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Tbh I think Edu would be a good signing for Reading, we need a central midfielder with physical presence who can support both the defence and the attack. At the moment though we've got so many players who play in a similair position to Edu that it wouldn't be worth it unless we had a clear-out.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sounds like the USMNT about 2 years ago.

3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Williams is one of those players in that role and seems to be doing well. Do you see Edu as a step up from Williams at this point in time?

4. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I think Williams is a more technical player, but he needs more time to find his feet and find a way to turn his abilty into a more substantial contribution. The problem though is if we play with 2 of Guthrie, Karacan or Williams we don't have quite enough defensive bite. Leigterwood is due to return from injury soon and is better defensively than our other midfielders, but I think Edu could possibly be a Viera-type player at Championship level.

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Davis cuts to the chase on the MLS Edu fiasco:

Sooner or later, Major League Soccer will have to remove the subjectivity from this stuff. At some point, it’s just not fair to allow one team to overpay dramatically (Michael Bradley) but then not allow another one to do so.
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...e-involving-mls-philadelphia-and-maurice-edu/

Add in the data that the Union reportedly offered a package worth $15mm for Bradley only to see the league approve a $40mm package by TFC.

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Although give the quality of MLS, I think he will see a lot more of the ball in the final 3rd and be more effective going forward.

I think he is not bad on the break but in touch-touch possession, he tends to hold the ball too long. Still, this can be corrected, but I doubt Hack is the guy who can change it. I think hack prefers his fullbacks to be lead blockers and his CB's in man-2-man coverage.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Have no idea.

You appear to have personal knowledge on the matter and rate the reserves on Fullham better than USMNT perennial dmid Edu, even as the starters ahead of these reserves are leaking goals like a sieve.

That is your case. I dont value it much which is why I was asking Serge if SFC would have a policy against sending a player to a competitor in relegation. Perhaps you would care to address that question.

8. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It's not just style of play...when Geoff would get forward last year, the guy couldn't send in a good cross...literally. Now, he's pretty decent and that's improved his game leaps and bound. That's development. This is as well:

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Mo gets reps in a league where he can have the confidence and on ball time he could be a big asset. He got that in Turkey and his game confidence improved. I don't think he evens attempt this pass v Russia if he had not played at Bursaspor: 4:00 mark.

10. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game and pass predated his loan in Turkey.

freisland, Gamecock14 and wixson7 repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1011 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    You are quite correct. I am wrong. My apologies.

As a mea culpa here is a Bradley to Edu to Dempsey to Altidor to Bradley quick one touch combo this time during Mo's Bursaspor stint: 1:50 mark:

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another opinion on the Edu saga:

Edu is no mere shield to a back line. He scored five goals in 38 games while playing for Toronto and another nine goals in 96 games for Rangers in Scotland. This former MLS rookie of the year and top overall draft pick in 2007 is not Ricardo Clark or Kyle Beckerman. He is a center midfielder you can build a team around.

Edu likely projects more as a box-to-box type for the Union than a straight defensive midfielder.
    Even so, who is the better buy for a team: Michael Bradley at $6 million annually, or Edu at $1.2 million? I’d say Edu. Bradley may be the better player, but he is not five times as valuable to a team as Edu. (He might be to the league as a whole, however.) Did the league office think the Dempsey and Bradley signings would have no impact on the market for U.S. national teamers?
    http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2014/01/16/the-monkey-wrench-signing/

13. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The relegation zone is so large this season that I'm not sure that is still the case. 11 clubs are really still in play for the drop, and only Southampton and Newcastle are firmly stuck in midtable. I think that means those clubs need to make the moves to acquire players to help themselves win now, and not worry how players are fitting on other clubs.

14. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Another good thing with bringing them back is that they could be better protected by refs and coaches playing here, to avoid the many injuries happening right before a World Cup, when the guys who are not going try to break the ones who are.

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much money he left. We all remember MLS blocked the first offer. He's obviously prioritizing World Cup.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Ohhhhh boyyyyyyy,,,,,,,,mls refs, ay-ay-ay Lucy

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, that is extremely true.

20. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    426803770756853760 is not a valid tweet id

Looks like Mo is taking a pretty drastic pay cut.

21. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    So is an allocation going to be needed or not?

22. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Better than what Jay Demerit got.

I thought his highlight of the match was the penalty he gave up.

24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edu chose MLS over a handful of other options, including teams in Turkey and the English Championship. The 27-year-old midfielder will be banking on steady playing time with the Union helping his chances of securing a place on the U.S. World Cup squad this summer.
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...rice-edu-completes-move-to-union?ICID=HP_BN_1

Very smart choice by Mo and the Union. Now USMNT fans will get to see him in action week in and out against some of the other USMNT stars. They may see why he was preferred by JK over some of those other players early in JK's tenure.

25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well his guaranteed compensation might bring close to a mil.

Good move for Mo.