Mo Edu: Back at Stoke[R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crossing.

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #977 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Asked if the reported $1.2-1.4 million salary was accurate, Garber insisted “that would perhaps be on the low end.”

Union head coach John Hackworth, for his part, said he's optimistic a deal will get done for the club.
    "It would be a great acquisition for our club and a player I think could be a real difference-maker for us."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...t-usmnt-midfielder-maurice-edu-negotiations-s

Looks like the Union and MLS have a higher opinion of Mo's value than many on BS!

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    After the away game n the hex at Azteca, the Mexican commentators praised the Bradley-Edu midfield as the reason Mexico could not score.

Edit: Recall that Jones got spiked by Costa Rica n the snobowl and went home which is why Edu was filling in at the Azteca

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone send a message to the Union explaining that BS says Mo is just a DM and sucks going forward.

“It was a target all year long and in this offseason to [improve] our midfield and we think that Mo can do that box-to-box role. That would allow us to sit Brian [Carroll] in a little deeper behind him,” Hackworth told SI.com.
    http://soccer.si.com/2014/01/16/philadelphia-union-draft-edu-blake-mls/

keller4president repped this.
  5. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does the fact that a few posters think he's a DM irk you that much?

The Union are my local team and I think he'll be useful in a box to box role for us but at a higher level, he's almost exclusively a DM.

Sam Hamwich and 6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think this is great business for Philadelphia. In an MLS where Bradley is worth $6.5 million+ a year, Edu for $1.2 million a year is close to overpaying but I think respectable. His club career has atrociously fizzled, but he's instantly one of the best DMs in MLS.

Plus, anything that causes the MLS minimum wage to jump above the pitiful 35K (with a new CBA for 2015) is good news for American soccer IMO.

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does the fact that I am posting info about Mo in Mo's thread irk you so much?

8. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't, it's the snarky comments like this that are annoying. Stop acting like everyone thinks he sucks because they prefer him at DM.

9. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Tbf, how often does a manager say "yeah, hes a bit shit" when announcing a new signing?

10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect you can read so you know I never said everyone, and this has nothing to do with posters' 'preference' for Mo's position.

Best as I can tell you have an issue with me responding to other posters very negative and inaccurate opinions of the Union trying to sign Mo. Given that this is a message board I am puzzled by your issue.

11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never. However this is not a signing announcement it is in fact the middle of a very contentious negotiation.

12. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is an important distinction that you make, given managers' propensity to bad mouth players they're trying to sign.

Grumpy in LA repped this.
  13. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Someone send a message to the Union explaining that BS says Mo is just a DM and sucks going forward."

I suspect that you're capable of reading comprehension so you should know that saying "BS says Mo is a DM and sucks going forward." insinuates that the entire message board thinks that Mo sucks going forward.

14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is silly. If you are going to police the entire board as to if a post refers to every other poster on the board, a subset, or just one please start with post #1 in this thread and start correcting.

15. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Compared to Carroll and Daniels, Edu is freaking Valderrama so it wouldn't surprise me that Hackworth would put him there.

16. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if I would say this is something that Cameron has "developed" though it may be something that has improved over the past year or so. When he was with Houston, I remember seeing him put some nice crosses in. It could be that having been played around in a number of positions, his timing and control of his cross was rusty and with many repetitions, he's shaken the rust off.

17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. If you look at the rest of the teams in the league you would find that most would view Mo as an upgrade over their existing B2B CM.

18. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Possibly. He was absolutely awful at it last year. Decent this year

He's improved the attacking side of his game immeasurably from his first season at Stoke to his second. I dont really know anything about his game at Houston though

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, Edu hasn't made the bench in six months. He has no bargaining power as no one else other than Stoke is going to pay him that much. Capitalism creates differences
    It's only normal that Cameron would have improved as an attacker at right back this year since he almost never played a wide position in MLS. Attacking as an outside back is very different than doing so from a central position and it is hardly surprising that he has improved in this area. Personally, I don't think it add much to the argument that players' development usually isn't that great at 26 because of this.

20. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    With all due respect, if Cameron hasn't shown he's further developed into a better player compared to last season I don't know what else to say. The difference is night and day. Outside of Begovic, he's been Stoke's best player this season...last season, that wasn't the case.

21. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There can be a difference between learning to apply one's abilities to a new position and actually developing new abilities. At an extreme, Messi would probably improve his crossing if he moved to Stoke and played nothing but left winger. But it's hard to say that doing so would involve much "development."

But that's a blurry line and may be impossible to draw in many cases. From what I can tell, Cameron has definitely flourished. Whether that's because he's "developed" or just gotten a chance to settle into a stable role is hard to tell. Or whether that distinction is meaningful in his case.

jaxonmills repped this.
  22. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Oh I'm with you it's just Stoke management obviously thought otherwise.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wonder why Fullham have not bid for Mo. Could it be Stoke would not send him to a relegation candidate?

24. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Wonder why Fulham would bid for Mo, when there are many other reserve players (prosumably) available. Could it be that Fulham do not rate him?

25. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new coach with a different style of play and increased play with his teammates can make a world of difference.