MLSnet.com's New Look

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Bill Schmidt, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It didn't suck before, but now I think it's really good. The new look looks great. The pictures are sharper (and they've chosen better pictures). Very well produced and stylish. What do u think?

2. LaFley

LaFley New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Definitely a better look than before. It seems a little more organized, and you are right the pics are crisper. Wish they would add a wallpaper section though.

3. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I like it except that it doesn't take up the whole screen -- there is a big white bar along the right side. Is that just me?

4. talina_baby

talina_baby New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    phoenix, az
    I like it. Very purty and colorful. Also easier to navigate and find what you're lookin for.

That's a better picture of Eric Wynalda, too.

I've got the white bar, too. Maybe it's a buffer for people that have not-so-good monitors, like mine at home.

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some designers still feel the need to appease the people who still use 800X600 resolution. Some people still like the big icons, etc.

It's been years.

It's time to stop and use the whole screen for the 1024X768 world.

As for the site... I think the menu items on the left are too small... but I absolutely love the sharper new images.

The Fire site is, supposedly, switching to a new design sometime this weekend. The pictures are already sharper. I just hope the rest looks good.

6. trams

trams New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    West Palm Beach, FL
    I am a web designer, and unfortunately designers still need to account for people using 800x600 resolution. This is why... Currently 37% of people on the web use 800x600 and 47% use 1024x768 (the other 16% is the other resolutions). So there is still a large percentage of people that use 800x600, and that is why the MLS site and most other sites are still optimized for them. I think the percentage of people using 800x600 would have to drop to around 10% for most websites to change.

If you want to stay updated on web stats go here...

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Hope this helped.

7. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    I see any same results on my webpage, but I don't understand why so much people use the IExx.

It's a slow crackable programm who allows everybody to spy your data.

8. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and even many of those who run at 1024x768 don't maximize their browser.

Ideally, Web sites should be designed to stretch to the full width to fit more stuff in if the window is bigger, but still be usable on a narrower screen. Bigsoccer.com does this pretty well, I think.

9. nedigital

nedigital Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Mass
    I like the fact that all the team sites will be uniform. It makes it seem like a more professional setup. I just checked and three teams had already switched.

The only drawback is that someone like the Rapids have just paid a bunch of $$ to re-design their site and now that money is wasted. Didn't MLS give them a heads-up?

10. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    I think Colorado and NE arent using the MLS.net team pages. Im not sure about NE but there are 2 teams that wont be switching. I think the new websites look great