MLSnet.com News

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by futbol571, Dec 23, 2003.

1. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    How come MLSnet.com only posts stories very rarely, and the Newstand (links) is done sometimes only for 1 day a week and sometimes longer???

I mean are they as bad as USSoccer & CONCAJACK???

How can you complain about ESPN and TV not giving us coverage if we can't even cover ourselves on our own website. Big RED F!!!

2. Matteo

Matteo New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    what news would you have them report right now?

it'll start picking up after the new year with signings, the draft and preseason. relax.

3. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    So having the MLSnet.com website, report NOTHING since December 23rd and once or twice for weeks before that is acceptable?

How can we have soccer beat writers get paid throughout the nation and justify their columns, when the official website/organization can't even muster putting their links, columns, or any soccer tidbits on the site consistently.

Sorry but this this is a terrible negligence and a perfect example of how inept the MLS is. You can;t expect fans to come to you, and when they do, nothing to offer not even a Merry Christmas, bit of news, some updates somewhere, but a measly 10% off of stuff at their crappy store?!? (this stems from the belief in the USA Soccer Community of taking much more than you are putting back - so I don't blame them entirely just the culture USSF has fostered since they take $ from kids to pay for themselves basically) Excellent way to make fans oops customers, happy, loyal and excited. Not.

If ONLY this league could function like a normal business, but basically they all know they have major $ behind them, so why innovate, grow, think out of the box and perform excellent service for the fans? They'll be there.

Terrible x 100. It's things like this that add up in peoples heads. Go check any major sports league's site when they are in "off-season" you think it sits stagnant like this for this long? This is not even a holiday thing, they do this from time to time. Unacceptable.

MLS can complain til they're blue in the face about getting insufficinet national media attention, but the biggest "footprint" in the world wouldn't matter if they cannot adequetly report and promote their own news. Marketing, advertising, self-promotion and excitiment has to be stressed more. But they get this cavalier attitude from US Soccer which does nothing of the sort, so we cannot expect much better.

4. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and in the way website design goes, mlsnet is lame. it looks very amateur.

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amateur? MLSnet is far from amateur. Look around the web for the angelfire, tripod, geocities, and other free hosted sites and there you will find amateur sites. MLSnet is far from amateur.

6. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    since we're talking about the league's website, why don't they make the change over to www.mls.com ? i thought they did mlsnet.com because mls.com was for Multiple Listing Services, but now that site if availible.

7. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas

To call it amateur is a great understatement.

The people in charge of MLS web page should be fired by Garber and all of you, BIGSOCCER moderators should take over.

It's almost pathetic that we can find the soccer news in these pages way before they get to MLS web address.

What a shame...

8. Matteo

Matteo New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    futbol571

news out of mls is always slow in december especially on their web site.

if you've been following mls for the past few years, you would know this.

9. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle
    News is largely created, not simply reported. If you knew anything about journalism, you would know this.

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get off the mother nipple of the league for the news and go to the news sources.

When you want NFL news, do you go to NFL.com? Is NBA.com the only place to find basketball news?

11. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I disagree. For a league that is trying to establish itself and build a following they need to do all they can to promote themselves.

The current MLS website is a pisspoor attempt..

In the offseaon, I can understand a little lax coverage, but during the season it was pretty poor..

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Website design may be a poor attempt. But the league is better off getting external outlets to write about them than focusing on daily content on the Web site.

There's a reason newspapers see their Web sites as secondary content. Fewer eyeballs come there.

Good PR means getting other people to tell your story so you don't have to.

13. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sincerely,
    William Randolph Hearst

14. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Re: futbol571

Knowing a problem exists and wanting it to finally end are two different things.

MLSnet.com is a terrible terrible website, for many reasons. Most of which is no/few updates and news. IE: no reason to keep coming back.

15. lammygeek

lammygeek New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    minneapolis mn
    One thing I went there expecting to find (and leaving disappointed) was a draft schedule with up-to-date selection order. It would be cool if they could keep track of all the trades of picks that have gone down, and run them down so you could tell which picks each team actually owns.

Of course, I went on to find that someone here on BS had taken the time to come up with this, without being on the payroll of the league or anyone else.

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like mlsnet.com.

peace.

17. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    or if that HAS to be the case, recruit volunteers to help accumulate data, news, etc.

18. litsong

litsong New Member

May 31, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    So the Web site could definitely be better. Everyone knows that. But if you knew the site 2, 3, and 4 years ago, you'd know how much it has improved. Obviously they don't have the budget of the NBA, NFL, etc.

19. Justin Mapp

Justin Mapp New Member

Dec 22, 2003
    'sota
    This is ridiculous... it's been more than a week since they've updated the site. Absolutely nothing about the Ruiz loan deal with Wolverhampton. In fact I've been finding articles on the Ruiz loan everywhere else other than MLSnet.com. And no news about the CONCACAF Champions Cup? Over the last month all 8 teams that will participate have been determined. Not a word about it on MLSnet.com.

20. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    dude, it's called a holiday break.

as for the look of the site, i'd love to see mls hook up with a company like demosphere (who does ussoccer's and fifa's websites) to improve the apperance.

21. mac_jojo

mac_jojo New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Bowling Green, KY
    I could not agree more that mlsnet.com and ussoccer.com is straight weak. not much real coverage during the season. no off season behind the scences. no player profiles. I've emailed ussoccer.com about their player profiles once or twice but nothing has been done about it. somebody at both sites need to invest some time to get some pictures stats about the players in their retrospect and post it on the sight. With nice format not like ussoccer.com has their FEW players with info on that. people like to see more than they read. Granted I would read all the detail but it needs to be layed out better.

22. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Jesus - what won't you bitch about?

Most comanies "encourage" employees to take off between Christmas and New Years to burn off vacation time so that it does not have to be carried on the books.

If MLSNet perfect - no. But has it improved? Hell yes.

Now you have two writers who contribute regularly (Tino and Connolly) and Waldo started writing pretty regularly towards the end of the season.

In terms of breaking news - you usually won't get that from the main site. Why? Because they can't report something that is not a done deal yet. Rumoring about Bocanegra to wherever can't be done by the league site - leave that to BS or the Chicago Tribune.

The next major event is Jan 10th when the Player Combine opens - don't expect to see anything written about until then.

Also, I hate to tell you folks but the MLSNet website aint going to get asses in the seats so if the budget has room for one web designer or two ticket reps guess which way the league will lean.

23. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they don't do ussoccer, they do the US Soccer Federation site. Ussoccer is done by the same company that does Man U's, Tiger Woods, and NE Revs site. Those sites suck.

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Please enlighten us on the MLS-related news that we have missed because MLSnet has not updated their news section.

25. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruiz on loan with Wolves.