MLS Wrap: Beyond Embarassing

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by aleaguer, Oct 9, 2005.

1. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Anybody see this week's edition?

At least they had Christian Miles as the disembodied voice rather than Mark Rogandino, but Miles did his best Rogandino impression.

In the Fire/Crew highlights, he repeatedly referred to the Crew goalkeeper as "Murphy" (this Murphy character had a great night "between the nets" as we were constantly told, even stopping a penalty kick by "Mapp" when it was Marsch - do they have the internet on computers now at FSC?), then said "after the match, Crew head coach Greg Andrulis had these comments."

If that wasn't bad enough, over the Robert Warzycha interview, they put "Greg Andrulis - Crew Head Coach."

Uh, FSC? Andrulis was broomed three months ago. And the Crew have no goalkeeper named Murphy. It's Matt Jordan. Later in the show, Jordan (correctly identified) actually had the "Save of the Day."

Just beyond horrible.

Do they do this show live and give their disembodied voice one shot at getting the whole show in? Who writes this stuff? Who came up with "Murphy," and why did a guy who does MLS games every week just read "Crew head coach Greg Andrulis" if it was written for him - and if it wasn't written for him how the fark do you make that mistake?

And if it's not live, how do you not go back and re-tape those parts?

MLS Wrap has been a nightmare since it began, and it all starts with the producer, whoever the hell it is. Either do the show on Sunday after everything's in, hire someone to produce it who actually finished college, or quit doing it.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um, I looked up the producer and then googled his name and came up with this ...

[​IMG]

3. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I had planned to make this exact post a few months ago after slogging way through the canned crowd noises, and repeated mistakes, and wondered the same thing, but was just too lazy to make the post. Why on earth is this taped live? There is no reason, except to just get it done. And since it is done live, it absolutely is done in one take.

The show is just embarassingly bad.

And didn't Freddy get a tremendous goal this past week? Or was it the week before? I don't remember seeing it on any MLSWrap highlight.

4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    The show started as a joke, and really has just gotten worse as the season progressed.

The show is so short and crammed in, that there really isn't a reason to watch it: just go to mlsnet.com and watch goals there.

It's too bad - because the show at least used to be about soccer. Although Harkes and wheelock were too disjointed, at least they tried to talk aoccer, talk news, have in studio guests - show all the games(including wed).

And then even Rob Stone and Alexi on ESPN2 was a better show.

This cost saving measure of MLS Wrap has the right intentions - but gets the product all wrong. If that's the case - then do even do it.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [BigSoccer]
    But ESPN HATES soccer. Give it to FSC! They LOVE soccer!
    [/BigSoccer]

Exactly what you said. The ESPN2 show was decent. The only problem with it was that it was constantly bumped. Some times it would be on Monday nights at 11, sometimes early Tuesday mornings, other times Tuesday nights. You'd have to visit MLSnet.com on a weekly basis to get the latest schedule.

This new 25-minute show IS horrible.

Memo to FSC - Send your announcers to the games, use your own camera crews, and make a decent MLS review show, just like last year's. This "new version" is beyond embarrasing. Grow up and act like a professional TV channel, not like you're doing everything on a 5-year old's allowance.

6. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    does anyone still watch this show?

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I record it and fast forward through everything but the actual highlights. Oh, and on the off chance they have an interview after the game with a RApids player/coach I watch that as well.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Wrap might actually be good for something.

MLS Wrap Drinking Game anyone?

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61849

This year's MLS Wrap is absolute crap. Last year's MLS Wrap was crap too, but at least it was funny.

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Really, just a shocking lack of care about their product, all the way around here. Just take a couple days, get it right, and release it ala Inside the NFL.

The fans would probably rather tune in midweek as a filler waiting for Saturday anyway.

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Wrap = MLS Crap

I quit watching it months ago. It was just too painful.

Really a shame. Some basic care and effort and the show could easily be improved.

12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AMEN!!!

After three weeks of suffering through this version, I took it off my auto record list on the DVR. I've seen much more polished television productions on cable access stations.

13. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i watched the first two shows....never again...maybe next season, at least the first one...