MLS vs. NCAA - whose rules?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by lovingthegreen, Feb 12, 2010.

1. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When MLS (or USL) teams play NCAA teams in preseason on the college campuses, whose rules are used? In other words, if the San Jose Earthquakes head to Berkeley to face Cal or the Seattle Sounders take on the Portland Pilots on the UP campus, do they use NCAA rules or FIFA ones? Does the clock stop like it does in NCAA play or is extra time added after 45 minutes like in the "Laws of the Game"? Can players re-enter the game (NCAA rules) or once players are substituted for they are not allowed to return to the game (FIFA)?

2. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    The rules are there ain't no rules, in preseason.

Substitution rules never apply. Running clock could be used, though I haven't seen it.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Runs a little too fast for you?

4. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's it, basically. Because these games are generally preseason for the pros, and off season (Spring) for the colleges, both teams are wanting to look at players...therefore no restrictions on the subbing. As far as clock, in my experience, the games are so informal they often don't even use the scoreboard (or they play on a practice field that doesn't have one). The time is kept by the ref, who I assume usually uses regular FIFA-style up-counting time with extra, if necessary. But then again, I've seen them do the three period thing too, so it really is all over the place.

5. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    UIC has been playing the Fire the last few years after the Fire have started the regular season; in fact, UIC tied them a few years ago after the Fire had played three games.
    The substitution was free, the time was college based.
    I doubt, however, that this game will be played again this year.

6. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks everybody. I was kind of curious how that worked given that professional and collegiate teams play by significantly different rules.

7. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew plays Ohio State every year in a charity game, the Connor Senn Memorial Game (named after a walk-on freshman who collapsed on the field during an OSU game at Akron in September of 2001 and died later that night, story here), and they always use college timing with free substitution.