MLS vs Liga MX cup competition rumored to be near fruition

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Feb 13, 2017.

1. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I liked it. Half of the Liga MX teams host, and the other half travels to MLS cities.
    You could then have say 10 LMX teams and 10 MLS teams.
    Each League's main networks can then televise games hosted by league teams.

2. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be in favor of this as well. As a fan of the Big Ten, it definitely makes for a great week of games. The matchups are determined by using the prior year's standings. I believe it is 1 v 1, 2 v 2, etc.

I think that format would be a lot of fun for fans on both sides of the border. If it is just a contrived tournament, I'm not in favor. I'd rather see MLS focus on winning the CCL. Unless the two leagues are able to negotiate a significant payoff in the form of TV money and/or a spot in Copa Sudamerica or something, I just don't see how this really benefits MLS.

3. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liga MX teams regularly play in Copa Libertadores and we have trouble with consistently playing at a high level against Liga MX. Although an invitation to Copa Libertadores for the winners of the proposed tournament would be welcome I'm not sure MLS teams can handle it yet.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't like the idea of any competition that excludes the rest of CONCACAF.

I'd like this much more if it were, like the new CCL, a 16-team knockout, but with each first-round match featuring one team from either Liga MX or MLS (4 MEX, 3 USA, 1 CAN). Bring in the best non-CCL-qualified team from all 7 UNCAF nations and 1 from the CFU. Play home-and-away, use a set bracket once the initial draw is made, and boom, you have a simple second-tier tournament.

5. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No.

No Caribbean teams. They're pretty much a guaranteed victory.
    CCL already have introduced a second tier tournament. There's no need for another second tier tournament.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the fall CCL that they've created is ********ing stupid, so in my scenario up there, pretend it doesn't exist.

I'm hardly invested in this anymore, because CONCACAF has completely bungled everything related to continental competitions over the last decade. The knockouts this spring are probably the last CCL games that I'll watch for a long time.

7. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's a good thing this will not be a CCL tournament.
    Give me the top 3 leagues in Concacaf, Liga MX, MLS, and Costa Rica.
    I want a top level competition, no gimme wins.

HailtotheKing and PTFC in KCMO repped this.
  8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I agree with you, but Liga MX teams regularly do pretty well in Libertadores groups, and a few have made semifinals and I think Chivas made the final. I watched Xolos whole campaign in 2013 and was surprised how well they did. They were a penalty away from playing San Lorenzo in the semis. MLS clubs would have a great chance at picking up about 5-9 group points at home and maybe advance out of the group sometimes with a road result or two.

Lets not sell our league short. I doubt we'd bring home the trophy, but we wouldn't crash out all the time either.

007Spartan and El Chico Carmona repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Should've been more clear: I won't watch a new SuperLiga either.

Do a continental tournament correctly or don't bother. Doing it correctly requires inclusion.

10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It makes more sense if it was the 2 finalists from Copa Libertadores and 2 finalists from CCL playing a tournament.

I agree with the inclusionary, otherwise it has little meaning than being a glorified preseason Liga MX / Midseason MLS Friendly.

As much prestige as one gets with Copa Libertadores, It's 10+ hours flight time from DC to the larger South American cities. It's idiotic to play more than a one off in South America. Especially if the game is at altitude.

tigersoccer2005 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  11. deedsy

deedsy Member

Mar 1, 2013
    We already have this - it's called the CONCACAF Champions League

Boloni86 and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Not really.

This would actually make money instead of being a money drain.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea.

14. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without having the rest of this thread yet: THANK GOD!

This has needed to happen (again) forever. Every time we talk about how to fix the CONCACAF Champions League, I always just end up coming to the conclusion that we should just ditch it and go full-on MLS-MX.

15. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing involving CONCACAF is legitimate, and everything involving CONCACAF is a cash grab.

Zoidberg repped this.
  16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #66 Zoidberg, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    People have already forgotten that the only reason the CCAF Champions league came into existence as it currently is was because Jack was afraid of getting left out of the money making end of it. Superliga scared him to death and pissed him off.

The whole tourney, if you can even call it that, was an absolute half assed joke before then. All it is now is a huge money drain for MLS teams, and a training event for many Mex teams. For all the fantasies some have here, there is no hope for the tourney becoming anything more than it is now. The money across the fed isn't there. Advertisers aren't there. TV money isn't there. CCAF isn't a reliable organizer either. Internet solutions are just that. Not real world solutions.

I can see why MLS and LigaMX want to do this. TV and ad money are there. Especially now as MLS is maturing....compared to what it was when Superliga was around. Makes a lot of sense. I can hear the obvious, and predictable complaints now....still makes sense for the leagues.

Just because you want something doesn't mean it can, or will happen.

Burr, kenntomasch, looknohands and 2 others repped this.
  17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    You can say that about all the Feds really. It's just that we have such an unbalanced one. Two behemoths in the US and Mexico...and all others. Mex and MLS have tried to play nice with CCAF, but after a while it must become frustrating as hell.

18. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCL has had decades to develop - it's not a new competition, just a renaming and reformatting of the crappy old one. It's going nowhere and it's run by corrupt morons. Why bet on that horse?

CCL has bad crowds, bad ratings, bad games, too many bad teams no one cares about, bad formatting, bad reffing, corrupt reffing, bad administration - bad, bad, bad. You play it so long after you qualify you forget why you're there, and it takes so long you forget who's even in it. It's perhaps the least interesting, most poorly designed, and worst run competition of any kind, anywhere, in the whole world.

Less CONCACAF in our lives, please, not more. Withdraw from CCL entirely, or use it to punish poorly performing USL clubs.

As in life in general, avoid failing, poorly-run organizations and bet on ones with smarts, growth, and gumption.

19. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (And that's not a hot take. That's a very, very cold take. That take was salted, dried and cured, hanging in a climate-controlled shed. That take has been lying in wait since roughly 1996.)

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall years back that someone from MLS HQ spoke about finding a way to mimic the NCAA college gridiron success the NCAA has had over the decades with their yearly Bowl games. MLS was thinking of ways to invite big name clubs from Europe and or South America and play MLS teams against said teams in a Bowl type mindset. A competitive game to win but still a not to intense encounter. As we witness it if one follows NCAA college gridiron, schools and their AD departments look to line up invitations to Bowls and the financial windfall the bigger Bowls have for the schools involved and certainly the cities involved is a big hook.
    Perhaps your idea you listed where the host city and opponent selected is done via a draw each year. Or by invitation. Being invited to play at the Azteca is there for MLS teams to want to be challenged with. To like wise the LMX teams would want to travel to our big cities like NYC or L.A. and or cities where they would have a local backing like Houston or Chicago.
    As others have mentioned, it could be as well like the NCAA basketball concept of one off match ups between two conferences. Not so much a tournament with games in a knock out format after this initial first match up, but what the fans get are head to head MLS vs. LMX contests. The TV suits get to cross promote and sell to the two fan bases of each league.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  21. deedsy

deedsy Member

Mar 1, 2013
    the average attendance for Superliga 2010 was under 10k - nearly the same as CCL from the same year.

Superliga was put to bed for good reason, the focus needs to remain on CCL, the true north american championship

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I think most of the bowls are a money loser for the schools and not much of a money grab for the host cities either. Mainly what they are are a boon to ESPN's programming, which is why they operate 13 of the bowls and I think have an ownership stake in others.

College football would be better served to eliminate any bowl created this millennium. That would cut the number of bowl games to 21 (I grandfather in the current version of the bowl game in Hawaii because there's almost always been a game in Hawaii going back to the Poi Bowl in 1936).

Gamecock14 and 007Spartan repped this.
  23. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    If this idea is so lucrative why did SuperLiga stop?

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I may interject here...do we know any specifics on what the competition will look like?

25. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sorry, not true.
    The payouts by the sponsors for said bowls, are in the millions.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forb...layoff-payouts-by-conference-for-2016-17/amp/

So the key to a successful Big 10- ACC style competition, is the sponsorship for each individual game.