MLS - USL Relationship

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BUSA Bulldog, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How close/distant are USL and MLS? How do they transfer players? What is the working relationship? Competitive? Indifferent? Is there a possibility of deep discussions on a mutual future?

2. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no official relationship that I am aware of. Some MLS teams have had working development relationships with USL teams. And some MLS teams definitely work closely with USL PDL sides. For example the Seattle Wolves a local PDL side are using the Sounders facilities at Starfire, and some of their players have suited up in a reserves match for the Sounders.

3. brandonboy2

brandonboy2 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL and MLS relationship, IMO, hasn't been all that close with a few exceptions. Some say their is a pride issue involved with the USL being term as a "tier" lower than MLS. I would like to see more of a developmental relationship evolved. For example, I am in complete support of the USL-2 Real Maryland FC and Colorado Rapids signing a development contract. http://www.realmaryland.us/html/affiliations-national.html
    This needs to happen more often.

4. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    One needs look no farther than the business models to realize just how big a gulf there is between the two organizations. Without getting into to too deeply. MLS runs as a single entiy, with central control over all the teams. USL teams all operate independent of one another in whatever fashion they see fit. That's a very basic breakdown.

MLS certainly sees USL as the red headed step child (even though USL has been around longer). Last season, when New York wanted to buy Mac Kandji for a $200k from the Atlanta Silverbacks, MLS blocked the move. Their reasoning was it would set a precendent of MLS teams paying large tranfer fees to USL clubs and they didn't want to let that happen.

Also, don't think that USL is sitting around happy that MLS has poached three of their best markets (Seattle, Vancouver, Portland). Or the fact that MLS is eyeing Montreal and Miami.

I've been to the USL's annual convention in Tampa the last couple of years and Francisco Marcos (President of USL) constantly takes jabs at MLS for no reason.

At the administrative level, the two leagues do not like each other. At the individual club level, you see some cooperation, but nowhere near as much as you'd think or is potentially possible.

And the development of the MLS academy system and U.S. Soccer's Developmental Academy is only going to create a greater rift because the two leagues are now competing at the youth level as well. Remember that USL owns and operates the Super Y League, which is in direct competition with MLS youth clubs and the Developmental academy.

In my opinion, as someone who deals directly with the top brass at both leagues on a regular basis, I just don't see any full fledged cooperation between the two leagues.

edit...just thought of this, but taking it a step further. Umbro owns 50% of USL (or right around that number). Nike owns Umbro. So in essence, Nike has a controling stake in the USL. Adidas has a $150 million contract with MLS to be the exclusive uniform provider for the league. Yet another massive hurdle to try and overcome if there were ever to be any sort of cooperation between the two leagues.

5. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS and USL used to have a "farm team" type of relationship many years ago. I'm glad that ended, because it has allowed the USL teams to stake their respective independent identities. I like having lots and lots of teams in the country that mean something to people, not just 16 MLS teams.

6. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info - very interesting.
    Now a couple questions:
    1 - how would you like the relationship to evolve?
    2 - what do you really think will evolve?

7. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope that eventually the USL and MLS some how combine into a larger division based soccer league. Maybe an eventual relegation/promotion system will arise from it, perhaps not like Europe, but, some sort of evolved system based on it.

If I were in charge of USL, I wouldn't be too excited about MLS scooping up my teams every few years. I know the perception of "minor league" doesn't help USL, but, it must be frustrating to see teams like Portland, Seattle, and VAncouver jump ship to MLS.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also speaks to how little anyone cares about "minor league" professional teams in the US when Seattle can switch leagues and quadruple it's attendance and ST sales.

9. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Now let's hope they can maintain these levels of support over the coming years.

10. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    it is very strained....

the USL is not at all happy with the fact that they dont get transfers for their players if they move to MLS and are flying pissed mad that MLS is picking up their teams from seattle portland montreal perhaps... these are very strong markets for them when they are gone they are left with weak markets all around....

now they have invaded NYC in hopes of creating a buzz around their league with FCNY .....

its a huge gamble one that past indicators show they wont be a player in this major market...
    i could be wrong.......

but what can they do if the owners of their teams want to jump up and be 1st division....and if they can and do so its out of the USL hands...

11. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As above. USL isn't a farm league for MLS, they're more of an unintentional trial league to weed out good cities for MLS after which we swoop in and rob them of their pride ;-) It'll be okay, Albuquerque needs a team, and I hear Elko Nevada is interested..

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shhh, don't let them hear you doubt them. They'll send Frdy Montero over to rape your sister.