News: MLS TV deal with Apple

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jun 14, 2022.

1. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly they are, making this a so called, "Win, win" situation.

For me Brad it tainted by too many years of trying to put lipstick on the pig that was Bob Kraft's neglected Rev team. Of course that's who signed the checks so it makes some sense. Still, it was hard to listen to him.

Charlie might yet grow into an adequate announcer.

pwykes repped this.
  2. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Felger yesterday concur with my question - how do you grow the game if it's on a private channel? I think between the USSF fubar and MLS going "private", soccer's popularity probably has peaked in this country until the 2026 WC.

frankieg73 repped this.
  3. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have the exact same question - how do you grow the fanbase? How do you add new fans when you are severely restricting their access to your product?

Instead of trying to expand the footprint and the visibility of the league, MLS has chosen to milk every last dime out of its existing fanbase, and not all of us are interested in meeting their asking price.

4. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of this bothers me because I have no problem streaming content, and I don't have to pay extra for it because I get access to it as a season ticket holder. Additionally, TV ratings for Revs games locally and MLS games nationally have always been abysmal. But I get why this bothers some people. It does make it harder to just pop on the TV and tune into a game in a traditional sense. I don't know that they had to go this route, but they have. So we'll just have to see how it goes.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an old story about a military recruitment day at a high school. Recruiters from each of the four branches came to meet with the students. First, the Army recruiter got up and gave his sales pitch, then the Navy, then the Air Force. Finally, the Marine recruiter got up, and without speaking slowly scanned the students in the room. He then said, "You all might as well sign up for one of these other 3 branches, because none of you have what it takes to be a Marine." Then he sat down. When the students lined up, guess which table had the longest line? The Marines.

I guess MLS/Apple is taking the Marine approach... ;)

6. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your take on this. I'm of a similar opinion. I think 10 years from now this will be seen as a master stroke. Oh, and by then, there will be a lot more streaming of other sports team's games as well.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS was just trying to expand market share in the demographic represented in this forum then this would not make sense. To get younger folks interested streaming the content makes much more sense. Putting it behind a paywall does bother me but I am an old fart. I don't think the pay wall is as big a deterrent to the younger folks.

8. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last century :) when I taught an economics class, to grow your market you didn't put it behind a paywall. Restricting access was a way to raise prices, not market share.
    I understand the argument that today's generation streams their content, but are they going to pay for it? Or is 1 person going to pay and share the password with 10 other people? Disney just announced cutting 7000 jobs, because people are not renewing their subscriptions to their services. I don't believe that is just a one-off.
    My argument is from a grow-the-game perspective, personally, I know how to stream and can easily afford $100 per year.
    Go Revs.

edcrocker repped this.
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same.

Reportedly more games will be available for free than ever before. But the loss of local broadcast and the lack of a "Revs-only" subscription option is a bit concerning. Overall though, I believe this is forward-thinking. My son is 22, and he hasn't watched anything on cable/OTA TV in about ten years. Like it or not, streaming is the future.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    But, if they do that - that's increasing the exposure. So, in some cases they'll get more revenue and in others, more exposure.

- I think one factor is that any MLS game can always be found at one location - AppleTV. I have a variety of streaming platforms on Roku and when looking for a specific event, it can be maddening trying to figure out who is streaming it (yeah, I know, JFGI!). Here, at least, there is one answer and it is always the same answer.

- I think the plan is a ton of cross-promotion, Apple->MLS, MLS->Apple.

MLS has had almost 30 years to expose the product. I'm not sure how many income-producing fans (those that will buy tickets or are of high-value to advertisers) there are that would still be influenced by the local free broadcasts (it sounds like there will still be free national and Spanish-language games).

Bottom-line for me, I'm fine with this (and optimistic that it will be an improved televised product) mainly because I'm already a STH. I'll leave it to the MLS braintrust to have thought this out - I really don't believe that it's just a money-grab.

And one more thought, often the value of a product increases when it's availability is limited ...

11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, MLS is suddenly available worldwide. I have several British friends who are curious and can't wait to be able to watch games.

pwykes, edcrocker and ktsd repped this.
  12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 16 pairs, but 29 MLS teams, so we won't get the same pair every game. Maybe we will get a primary pair that does most of the home games, or maybe it will be random each week.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of things that might help.

16. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not officially selected the MLS season pass, but I have set up my apple account. I can't tell you how bad I hate apple!!! I needed to set up an iTunes account and an apple tv account to get the MLS season pass. Is there an MLS app for my Roku like the other channels? No, I have to set up apple tv and run everything thru them and if someone clicks on any of the other apple products inside apple tv, they will gladly charge you for that.
    I read the other day that a tv operator, who carries 14 MLB teams, is going belly up because their rosy projections for subscribers never materialized. I previously commented that I thought that might be the case for a lot of these subscription services. We'll see.
    Sorry for the B**chy post.
    Go Revs.

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I already had Apple TV set up (have 3 month free trial of Apple TV+, so I got MLS Season Pass for $79.) But so far, I am impressed.

The good: Quality production. Multiple camera angles. I like Brad and Charlie, but Zivin and Twellman were an upgrade (YMMV). I jumped on late, and I had the option of joining the game in progress or watching from the start (nice). When I got up this morning, the game was available on demand (no 24-hr delay like some streaming services). I like that I can watch the game on my TV (via Roku), my laptop or my phone.

The bad: The game was not on the app home page this morning. I had to go the Revs page to find it. I assume this is because it is pre-season (all the regular season games are on the home page). I almost missed the full-game option this morning. There is a "Play" button at the top of the game page to watch the 4-minute recap, then multiple pictures you can click for various highlights, but you have to scroll down to the bottom and select "How to Watch" to choose the 90-minute game. The browser version doesn't have a pause button, but if you click on the game picture, it pauses/unpauses.

Overall, I'm glad I bought it.

18. BrianGockley

BrianGockley New Member

NE Revolution
    United States
    Feb 3, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an Apple user who is always watching games as reruns, and getting blacked out, count me in on Apple Season Pass. Picture quality of the Orlando game was crystal clear … so much better than the low-def we watched in the 2010s, when the lines were actually jagged ;)

Now, how do I turn scores off? Hate logging in on a Sunday to watch and seeing the final score before I start! Anyone?

oh, yeah, and good to see a game after the long winter! They didn’t look great, but they won!

pwykes repped this.
  19. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I did like the broadcast last night. I'm not a Brad and Charlie fan, so I'm not going to miss them. The PBP guy did his homework and knew all the players backgrounds. Intrigued me a little bit about Orlando which means I'll check out some of their matches. The one negative to me was you couldn't hear the announcers very well. TT on a pre-season match was a nice surprise. I do like him as an anylyst.

rkupp and pwykes repped this.
  20. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Agree completely with this. Hope they provide an option to do that. I hate knowing the score before I watch a game. I'm going to have to ask my wife to start the game for me so I don't see the score!

21. Padre del Astro

Padre del Astro New Member

Feb 14, 2019
    There is a per-device setting to turn off showing scores. If you watch on multiple devices you will have to do it on each one. It will not prevent all spoilers, though. The text summary with a completed game will give a lot away, and in-progress games show the current score on the overview tile.

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I did it on my phone, and had to do it again on my Roku. It's not easy to find, and different on every app, but it is there.

On my iPhone, it wasn't even in the app. I had to go to the phone "Settings", then "TV", then under "Device Preferences" there is a toggle for "Show Sports Scores". Turning that off worked.

On the Roku, open the Apple TV app. The top line menu has a gear icon on the far right. Scroll over to that. Scroll down near the bottom to "Show Sports Scores".

23. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    That worked. Thanks so much!

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seeing a few other posters on the MLS:N&A board saying the same thing. But I had no issues with the sound, announcers were loud and clear (watching via Roku).

25. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could not watch Saturday and then tried to find a recording of the game last night. Couldn't find it more than 24 hours after the fact. Is this going to be SOP?