MLS Training Grounds Round-Up

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Scoey, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    A Mondrian inspired facade ...

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL owner Dell Loy Hansen does love his Dutch--

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    More likely the Partridge Family. :)

partridge family bus.jpg

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And suddenly it seems appropriate that my company's contract with Zions is one of the banes of my existence...

Todorojo, Ismitje and sitruc repped this.
  5. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way go my alma mater= California State University at Los Angeles. The mighty Golden Eagles ! A commuter school on a hill above a freeway interchange. Looks like LAFC getting their pyramid together with the USL connection with Orange County FC and now a place to train and academy. On eastern edge of downtown and has commuter train and a busway station that services the university as well. Not a lot of room, but considering land availability and costs, not bad and helps the university as well.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went and walked around the Herriman site a couple of weeks ago - wandered into the various facilities - and wow. It was amazing to see all of that going up.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Academies with on location schools, the sign of a serious commitment.

These are the ones I've found. Any more?

NYCFC
    Orlando
    Philadelphia
    LA Galaxy
    LAFC (considering)

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you see that Orlando has a School at their Academy?

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I misread something. Thanks for the correction.

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's NYCFC's high school located?

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be at the 17 acre training facility in Orangeburg I believe. On the other hand it could all have been a dream.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe RSL will have this. They have already been running the Arizona RSL academy with a boarding school, so I imagine it will continue.

13. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Dont know if it's necessary to build a school from ground up. I think many clubs have and will partner with nearby schools or form hybrid schools, as appears to be the case with Salt Lake at herriman.

14. Christianjd

Christianjd New Member

Atlanta United FC
    United States
    Oct 24, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance DC will look to build a training facility soon? Could they do something at the RFK site now that they are moving to Audi Field? Tear down RFK for a training facility? I'm a bit of a training grounds nuts

15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Doesn't seem like DC United want to spend any more money, or they would have splurged on that scrap of astroturf rug for the new playing field ramp. I know it was tagged $12, but the lady at the card table said she'd sell it for eight bucks.

Also, all the players on DC United should get their own water bottle, and not have to share. Their should be a minimum standard of treatment for professionals.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Rumors I've heard from some DC fans is that they expect the current ownership to try to sell the team once it's in the new stadium.

If that were the case, I'm not sure they'd be too interested in spending a bunch of money on things like training centers or USL affiliates if they couldn't add that to the price.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Part of their deal with the city is two years in the stadium before selling, but minority shares are already be shopped.

Maybe they'll have a site picked out by then since they're working so hard on setting up that USL team too. George Mason was once a leading candidate with the St E's campus where DC is building a new practice facility for the Wizards/~5,000 venue for the Mystics and other stuff was also once mentioned. :sleep:

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've always been a little surprised DC United never swung some sort of deal with Maryland. Especially when their athletic department was hemorrhaging red ink.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's amazing that I can consider that athletic department to be more incompetent than United.

Lancaster FC and Gamecock14 repped this.
  20. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Gamecock14 and sitruc repped this.
  21. Ron36pc

Ron36pc Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ‘They thought of everything.’ Check out Sporting KC's new national training center

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article198537254.html

Select quotes:

"The national soccer training center, a vision spearheaded by Sporting KC nearly six years in the making, was officially unveiled to media members on Monday. It will be referred to as Pinnacle."

"Pinnacle, funded primarily through Kansas sales tax revenue (STAR) bonds, will serve as the new full-time training home for Sporting KC, which previously occupied Swope Soccer Village. Located on the southeast corner of 98th Street and Parallel Parkway, it will house three tenants. U.S. Soccer has moved its coaching and refereeing training programs to the 50-acre site. And Children’s Mercy Sports Medicine Center occupies a branch of the lower floor, with a planned completion in April.
    What truly makes Pinnacle stand out are its details — cameras lining the fields for audio and visual components, ventilation in the lockers, check-in fobs for players that alert them to daily responsibilities and a trophy wall with several openings for future hardware."

"Two weeks ago, ownership from a future Miami MLS team toured the facilities. Sporting KC president Jake Reid said he asked prospective owner and former soccer star David Beckham how they compared to overseas offerings.
    'As good as any I’ve been to,' Reid recalled Beckham replying. Reid added, 'The Miami reaction is actually funny because the owners were like, ‘Wow, we haven’t budgeted enough for what we need to do.’
    'To that extent, it is an arms race at some point, and I think we’ve put ourselves in position (just) as we did with the stadium. We’ve got now the best asset, in our opinion, in the sport.' "

"The U.S. men’s and women’s national teams have open invitations to use the fields, and there are locker rooms, coaching offices and training rooms reserved for them. While none have yet committed to a specific training schedule, U.S. Soccer CEO Dan Flynn previously told The Star they will likely be here regularly during the summer. But much of that will depend on the preferences of each individual coach."

"The project’s estimated $75 million price tag is separate from the $12 million bill for 12 new youth soccer fields that opened a mile to the east last June. STAR bonds contributed a total of $63 million to those two projects."

22. Ron36pc

Ron36pc Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI - a link to the Pinnacle National Development Center's website for a tour of the facilities:

http://www.pinnaclendc.com/

The physical address is 1913 Pinnacle Way, reflecting that the year 1913 was the foundation of the US Soccer Federation (as the US Football Association).

Lancaster FC repped this.
  23. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Even this bag is impressed.

[​IMG]

Or it's seeing something it shouldn't.

24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    does the national development center have one of those monster passing drill things pulisic used at dortmund?