MLS team profits

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BVgolski07, Sep 24, 2007.

1. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have read on multiple occassions that only two teams in the MLS are actually making money. I assume they are LA and....the Fire? Anyways, this seems hard to believe with average league attendence coming to around 16,000 this season. What exactly is the salary cap right now cuz I def think they need to bump it up substantially to keep the league's momentum going.

2. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think it was Dallas and LA. I remember hearing that Columbus is technically profitable until you factor in league debt or something. I'd imagine that Chivas (with its league best sponsorships) and Toronto (with a sold-out Season ticket base, little team based-debt, good sponsorships) are pretty close.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS needs to follow the model of European and S. American leagues and get - wink, wink, nudge, nudge - "help" from the local governments.

4. FC Dizzle

FC Dizzle Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    How would Chivas? They dont have very good attendance and rent the HDC.

5. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Colorado and Chicago are expected to be profitable this year

6. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I have only seen two confirmed as profitable, the Galaxy and FC Dallas. From the BBC in July, 2007:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/6904077.stm

Generally, MLS projects any team playing in a SSS should be profitable. The exception is Columbus, in large part because it has never been able to sell the naming rights to Crew Stadium. From the Columbus Disptach in 2006:

Link: http://www.dispatch.com/live/contentbe/dispatch/2006/06/30/20060630-G1-01.html

Garber adds that stadiums are critcal:

7. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The part about all clubs being profitable by 2010 is misquoted. What garber actually said is that the league as a whole will be profitable by then. As in, with single entity, the league's bottom line will be positive. That can happen before every club is making profit. Although with beckham, I don't know if that'll happen much sooner.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be stunned if TFC didn't turn a profit at the end of the season.

9. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting rid of the black hole of rent payments named Giants Stadium (in 2009, I guess) is really going to help the profitability of the league as a whole and specific teams (a some/all of those expenses are shared amongst all of MLS). If, someday, DCU can build a SSS and get out of RFK and it's similar (though not nearly as bad) rent situation, the league will be in much better shape.

10. tguy24

tguy24 Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Don't worry TFC will be in Profits probably the biggest in MLS history.

11. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckham has sold well over 500K jersey alone I am thinking the G will set a new profit record. I do expect to see about half the league turning a profit this year or next at the latest.
    Chivas has poor attendence BUT has very good jersey sales and before Becks by far the best sponsorship deals.

12. EdsonArantes

EdsonArantes Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Barra Brava
    The number Garber throws out is five teams to be profitable by the end of this season...based on no actual facts, I would say:

1) LAG
    2) Dallas
    3) TFC

^ These three are pretty much guaranteed

4) Chicago (profit or break even)

Fifth one...Colorado or New England?

13. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For $9 a beer they better be.

14. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm guessing the Dallas makes a profit over Chicago because they have the field complex?

15. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

In exchange for what?

In Europe and SAmerica soccer clubs have the power to influence voters, heck..No local government would even try to go against a local club because the allegiance to the club is so much more important than any political colour for a huge part of the population.

16. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Do you have a link for this?
    The last number I heard was in the 250k area... back in August.

17. kuhl

kuhl BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 21, 2002
    St. Paul
    Unfortunately I think we will never see the real numbers. It is in the owners interest at the point to not make the league look too profitable otherwise the union will begin pressing them for salary increases.

18. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    MLS will always ignore all other revenue such as youth fields, renting out the stadium for other events, and who knows what other ancillary revenue streams. It is in their best interest to continue to appear unprofitable as a league so that the players union doesn't gain leverage. However they do have to appear profitable as a total package to investors so there is a fine line to how they announce these things.

19. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    considering how crappy the players are paid.

If I were them...id be pushing for the cap to go up some

20. TFCSteve

TFCSteve Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Toronto
    I would have to put TFC second only to LA for profit. With a sold out stadium (priced pretty much the same as any other team), a SSS (they sold the naming rights to the stadium to BMO for some nice money), a shirt sponsor, and merc sales that apparently blew Addidas out of the water (no, they don't compare to beckham sales, but they are probably better than any other team) I can't see how Toronto didn't turn a nice profit this year.

21. I saw an article earlier this year where Graber said LA,TFC,Dallas,Colorado and Chicago would all be in the black this year. I would guess New England and Columbus lose very little as they own the stadiums. NY,DC,KC,Chivas,SLC and Houston probably lose alot though.

22. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    That would be my guess -- all will have a full season in a SSS. Chivas may be closer than people think because of their sponsorship dollars.