MLS Suspends Season

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by anotherfan, Mar 12, 2020.

1. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True that. Now back to binge watching season 3 of The Wire.

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Jeebus, that's really something uplifting to watch during a crisis. What next, 12 Monkeys? Streaming a Great Courses video on the Black Death?

Winoman repped this.
  3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    The Hot Zone - aired on National Geographic last winter

Chernobyl - aired on HBO last winter

both very scary and absolutely true dramatizations of one horrific mess avoided, and caused by politics

both may be available in On Demand from your cable provider

Winoman repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Thx,

Jay!

majspike, fatbastard, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  5. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    We're getting that in real time, witness South Korea (mess avoided) and here, Italy, UK, etc (mess exacerbated by stupid politics).

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    The thing that I've read and while I don't think it should be allowed to serve as an excuse is that the countries that have experienced past epidemics have had better reactions, not because they have more experience treating or quarantining, but because they've politically burned by past outbreaks. South Korea was hit hard by MERS and SARS which is why they mobilized very quickly. Don't be surprised if their patient zero, the woman who left the hospital twice to go to a shopping mall and church ends up facing criminal charges.

That said our response has been piss f_cking poor and insufficient to date. I think Cheeto boy is guilty of dereliction of duty. I said it on my twitter on 3/8 that a national quarantine was what we needed to do right then. We looked at the genie bottle and chose not to put a cork in it. Had we quarantined then, the reopening of America by Easter would look optimistic, rather than patently absurd.
    [​IMG]

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  7. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what you are saying, is that experience and knowledge assists in your approach?

Let's hope old ass Olsen agrees...

Yeah, I'm older than he is (a little.)

8. anotherfan

anotherfan Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 21, 2018
    Given how the situation is unfolding, MLS should cancel the season. The worst would be to start again in, say, June, then have to suspend the season again in September when the second wave of coronavirus infections start.

9. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt if it would be necessary to suspend the season a second time because everything is should down now mainly to avoid overloading hospitals. By next fall, hospitals should be geared up and not be in quite the dire situation they're in now.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Thx,

Jay!

11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/04/trump-says-nfl-season-should-start-on-time-amid-coronavirus-crisis/

"The call included the heads of the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, WNBA, MLS, PGA, LPGA, WWE, UFC, IndyCar and Breeders Cup."

This could be a real ClusterF$%K. NFL alone needs 3-4 months time to gear up players and teams for a season. That puts it at May or June.

MLB & MLS could get away with 2 months, maybe. But then to cram the whole schedule into half the time is suicidal. They would be better off with 3/4 of the matches and end the whole thing around Thanksgiving.

And thats assuming things will be back to normal. Which they won't be.

13. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After some furious denial on my part, I'm inclined to believe that we're done with live sporting events until next Spring. The basic problem, is that right now, with the First Wave having not peaked and with a likely Second Wave due to hit next fall (and perhaps even earlier as collateral fallout as folks living in areas that once constituted the Confederate States of America spread the infection because their political ruling class has been recklessly failing to issue shelter in place orders), the fans who would attend live sporting events and the players themselves would be placed in an unreasonable risk of danger. Hopefully, by next spring, enough tests will be available and enough knowledge accumulated to make live sports possible again. But, it's entirely possible that most of 2021 will be a washout, too.

By the way, Grant Wahl has been doing all of us footy fans a genuine solid by starting recent episodes of his podcast, Planet Football, with interviews and commentary by his wife, who is a physician specializing in immunology and is based in NYC. Last week's episode, in which Dr. Celine Gounder was interviewed by Landon Donovan, was particularly informative.

anotherfan, fatbastard, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PGA Tour just announced the major events on their reconstructed schedule for 2020. I think it's more likely than not there will be live professional sports this year.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I hope those golf fans have a blast. And that they stay the ******** away from people who might come in contact with my family.

I'm out of work. People all around me are sick and dying. Being in a sporting venue with 20,00 strangers is about the least healthy place I can imagine.

I'll cross my fingers for 2021.

anotherfan, tallguy, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Garber: "From tournament formats and neutral locations, ultimately playing an abridged regular season, but doing everything to get as many games," Garber said.

Garber's expectation is that games would be played without fans. He termed the contests as "MLS Studio" games.

"Are there different ways that we should be looking at our schedule? 'Cause clearly our schedule will be very different," Garber said. "We might be playing further into the winter. That's even hard to imagine because we had a zero Celsius MLS Cup in Toronto in mid-December in 2017, but we're going to have to push this season as far as we can so that we can crown a champion in 2020."

Winoman repped this.
  17. anotherfan

anotherfan Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 21, 2018
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  20. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Yesterday, Formula One announced an expected return to racing in Austria over the July 4th weekend. No spectators. Two races in Austria, two at Silverstone probably races at Monza, Barcelona and some other European venues. Then a trip to the Americas (expect Canada is out because we're talking September at the earliest) with a conclusion in the Middle East. We'll see if any of this happens. On a personal note, my wife and I were lucky to plan and go on a 3 month sojourn in Lucca last summer. We got to see the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa and the Italian Grand Prix at Monza on back to back weekends. Don't know when that will be possible in the future.

Seems like the outdoor sports are at least trying to figure out a way to return. My guess is that the auditorium sports like basketball and hockey will be the last to return. Also, soccer, American football and auto racing all, generally have events every week or so. The sports that have daily contests with constant travel will be the most problematic to restart.

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASCAR, like F1 is talking about returning - albeit with no fans. Talking about doing two races at each venue, so starting with two at Darlington, then 2 at Charlotte, etc. Weird plan, but I still have to read more than the first sentence in the new Athletic story ;)

I cannot figure out how they could pull it off, will all the teams be isolated together somehow in a traveling-circus sort of way (a partnership with an otherwise-closed hotel chain, maybe?).
    Where would all the regular health-care workers they need come from - I know they have some of their own but supplement with local EMS/Trauma surgeons, etc - seems to me like the type of people who are a bit too busy right now.
    Who would feed everyone?
    Way too many moving pieces needed to even try to pull it off in my not-so-humble opinion.
    And are sponsors going to be on-board? I may avoid the products of those who are.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and then I run off to the twitterz and see this (cute pic)

John L, anotherfan and Winoman repped this.
  23. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Yeah, it's tricky for sure. I don't know about the finances of NASCAR, but with Formula One, there are at least three teams that might not survive without racing and some income from sponsors and TV this season. They already pushed back the new formula for cars until 2022, and there is talk of moving it to 2023 possibly. Also, much discussion over the spending cap that was just put in place. A number of teams want to lower it further, but Ferrari is balking at that. What we all took for granted in major sports is over, what will replace it will be interesting.

fatbastard repped this.
  24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not be surprised at all if all the European leagues outside of the big 4 end their seasons over this.

The TV money is too big for England, Spain, Germany, and Italy to not attempt games behind closed doors.