News: MLS Suspended Season Now 60 Days

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 12, 2020.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been my experience too that the vast majority of people I've encountered are doing the right things, like wearing masks and gloves, safe distances, etc. which is all good. However, I am a bit worried that with the re-opening and of course all the recent protests where lots of people are gathered together could undo all that good.

Just like I used to say to all the KADs with their sunny optimism that Burns and Kraft would somehow do the right thing with the Revs, I hope that you're right, but I'm afraid that I might be.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    There are some very concerning reports coming from college football, where a number of teams have each reported that a significant number of players practicing had tested positive.

I think there's a good chance that this will be the experience of organized sports in the US that aren't exceptionally careful.

3. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just playing the numbers game it should be "easier" for sports like BBall, and to some extent soccer and hockey, then it will be for football. I'm not surprised about college football, what do they have 100 plus players and 30 or so coaches. Throw in the fact that they are basically teenage boys and you have a recipe for trouble. Here's hoping things work out for the NHL and MLS.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Related to the return of the season...

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  5. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any contact sport has potential for trouble, via exchange of blood and sweat (and tears?). That has always been a risk though (especially in the early days of Aids). As MLS does come back in one city, most of the players on all teams will be exposed to each other, as well as not just the coaching staffs, but all the support functions (cooks, room cleaning, other hotel staff). The idea of pretty regular testing will be really critical (and has the potential to lead to a season shutdown in any professional sport).

6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap. Our hole at DMid just got holier.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Seems like there's been an extended period of "Wait Until They're Full Strength!"; this doesn't help.

8. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #108 A Casual Fan, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020

This isn't the "news" that I was hoping for at this point in time when the season is now again showing signs of life.

I couldn't find any news floating around on how the injury happened.

But, in any case, The Bruce is going to need to get creative to bolster d-midfield.

For example -
    • Is it time for The Teal Experience Experiment at Dmid?
    • Or, pull a defender more inclined to "roam" up into DMid (Farrrell? Bye? DeJuan Jones?)
    • Or is this the year that Angking gets traction?
    • Or pull Tony Delemea up into dmid, keep his tackling in the lineup, but also keep him from having to be in the box as often as the "last player back", which has gotten him into card trouble (red and otherwise).
      • (If he takes the same card in the middle of the field instead of within the box, then that's a few PK goals per year the Revs don't give up, and it fewer "playing with 10 men" scenarios, and then that's likely good for a few more full-3-pointers.)
    • Or do you gamble that Kessler could be a field general waiting to happen - and give him that role now, in front of a back 4?
      • (If you have Mancienne, Farrell, Bye, Buttner, DeJuan, Delemea, Sinovic, Rowe in a pinch, Bruce could cobble together each week a fair-to-middlin' ("OK-ish") back 4 behind Kessler.)
    I feel like d-mid was not properly addressed going into the season, and without Caicedo it is now a much bigger problem to be solved - so I think this is important in that The Bruce is really going to have to think outside the box on this one if he wants to avoid stagnation, and instead keep the team moving upward and forward this season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's the MLS article - not much here that Seth hasn't reported already.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...edo-miss-2020-season-after-undergoing-surgery

...but, thanks for the reminder that the Revs are already trotting out an AllStar at DMid -
    "Aside from Caicedo, New England boasts 2018 MLS All-Star Wilfried Zahibo and veteran Scott Caldwell as natural options."

9. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Amen.

10. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Caicedo. I hope he comes back strong next year.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Apparently it was something he was battling in preseason and kept him out of the regular season lineup. They describe it as a meniscus tear, but it must be a pretty bad one to end his season. Generally a pro athlete can start thinking about coming back after about 3 months from a meniscus repair.

If Arena is going to look to experiment with a veteran at dmid, I'd try Mancienne. I think he has the size, athleticism and experience to do it and, since he hasn't really clicked at cback, why not try him in a different spot where he can be a little freer and more pro-active?

If we are going to try to develop one of our young players, we've been hearing great things about Nicholas Firmino, let's give him a shot.

12. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repairing a meniscus is very different than removing a torn piece. Ask Dustin Pedroia. He has not been able to come back from his repair. My son had his repaired by the same doctor who repaired Caicedo's. It is a long slow healing process because there is not a lot of blood supply to the meniscus. The doctor also told us that he will not do this surgery on someone over the age of 25. My son's repair required several "anchors" to hold the meniscus in place. They were left there while the tissue grew around them.

13. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Wells Thompson is back?

NFLPatriot and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to wonder how Corona will effect the transfer market. It was my feeling after the first game that the Revs did not have all pieces of the puzzle yet and that a DM or a CB may be needed. This may throw a monkey wrench into the whole transfer market for players coming to and from other countries by delaying visas

15. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost threw in Wells Thompson and Chase Hilgenbrinck references. :cool::D

ktsd repped this.
  16. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, the US as a major outbreak center is probably not a first choice destination at the moment.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously this puts pressure on Scotty and Zahibo but with Buttner back I would like to see Bruce experiment with Jones in the midfield. He has great recovery speed, seems pretty gritty but skilled enough offensively for a quick transition. Tony is another option but this team is thin on CB and can't afford an injury there. Not a fan of Teal, Rowe or Fagundez at DM. I feel with Bou, Gil, Buksa, Teal, Diego and Penilla offensively they can give anyone headaches but defensively I don't think they can win a Cup

A Casual Fan repped this.
  18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, so nice to be actually talking about the game itself, why this guy should be playing instead of that guy, and how this time for sure, Burns is gonna sign someone good and...

Wait a second!