MLS Superdraft in Baltimore Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mellon002, Nov 16, 2004.

1. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I guess it isn't too early to begin discussing the SuperDraft which will be held in Baltimore in Jan. Someone mentioned starting another thread and here it is. I'm definately in.

2. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Anybody know if we have to buy tickets or anything?

3. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Well for styarters let's not be late, It is taking place on January 14th, at noon I believe, in the Convention Center which is on West Pratt street directly on your right if you take 395 into downtown.

4. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Most things at the Convention Center require a pass of some sorts usually on sale at the front doors or lobby area. Perhaps someone with some pull can contact the FO and see what we need to do?

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, the SuperDraft was free last year.

6. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually making a note on my calendar a couple nights ago. So does that make three of us so far?

Finally something happening in my hometown I care about. ;)

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who are the early draft candidates?

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'll be there, but don't think I'm a draft candidate.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    You're talking about beer, right?

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    What kind of beer will they have on draft?

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nice, I remember I stayed home from work last year to watch the draft on FSW...now I can stay home from work and actually attend :D I hope this is open to the public and at little cost....oh yes and Foggy Bottom on tap.

13. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

The brew pup right across the street serves the following:

Oliver's on tap at Wharf Rat

Oh and get this folks, 12-7pm 3 for 3bucks. Of course they are 12 ouncers but ya can't beat a 36 oz. drink for 3 bucks.

14. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Hmmmmm if my memory serves me (hey, given what I've done to this brain in the past 72 hours I can't be fully sure I trust it) the Wharf Rat is right across the street from the Bmore Convention Ctr...................................

(hint...hint...hint)

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What's the draft order?

16. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Yes that si the one, I prefer the Wharf Rat in Fell's Point a sit is a different crowd of people but the one downtown across from the Convention Center is just as good.
    A quick write up of the one in Fell's Point.

17. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I'm trying to figure out the draft order by looking at years past and I can't figure it out. Check this out. In 2003 with the first pick in the second round we picked Brian Carroll over Eddie Gaven and Damani Ralph. Carroll was an absolute rock in our midfield this year, but a year ago I think a bunch of people must have been kicking themselves.

18. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Guinness, Newcastle, Widmer, Pyramid.... Oh you mean the teams... I have no idea. DC United is last and only has 2 picks in like the 809th and 954th rounds.

19. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA

Darn, I'm slotted to go in 1245th round. I don't know what I will do now that my dream has been dashed. Oh well, you never know, maybe they'll trade down for me. :D

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Salt Lake
    2. Chivas
    3. Chicago
    4. Dallas
    5. San Jose
    6. MetroStars
    7. Colorado
    8. Columbus
    9. New England
    10. Los Angeles
    11. Kansas City
    12. DC United

This is before any trades. It's expansion teams, then non-playoff teams, then 1st round losers, then semifinal losers, then final loser, then champion.

21. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think maybe there should be a December Happy Hour there just as a dry run (ironic name for a night of drinking). You know, you just want make sure during the offseason that everyone maintains match fitness and is ready to go when it counts in January. :D

Barring a business trip, I will be there for the Draft and festivities - only about 20 minutes from here.

22. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Baltimore peeps - We gotta get together some time next year to watch away games together or something.

23. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    Right now, a few people should still be kicking themselves. Gaven and Ralph are much better players. I realize we don't need more offensive players, but the value one of them would fetch in a trade now is certainly higher than 2 Brian Carrolls. Could you imagine Chicago trading Ralph for Carroll straight up? How about NJ trading Gaven for Carroll?

Of course there are plenty of other teams kicking themselves for passing on those two. It's like that every year. I'm sure in the next draft, there will be a couple of players who people can't believe they passed on. (DC probably won't be kicking themselves because they didn't have the draft pick to get him.)

24. mkpage

mkpage Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Alexandria, VA
    I suppose Dallas FC could be kicking themselves for "passing" on Freddy and Earnie two years running.

25. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    They'd have been a better team for it. Brian Carroll is exactly what the Metro midfield lacked this year.

Sometimes the better player doesn't make for the better team.