News: MLS Signs 3 Columbians..but what team got them?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Onionsack, Dec 21, 2009.

1. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    LOL...I watched that movie last night!!

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Respuesta: Re: MLS Signs 3 Columbians..but what team got them?

One would hope that Escobar's name is off any watch lists by now.. He has been dead for 16 years and all.;)

3. soccermagic1

soccermagic1 Red Card

Dec 22, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thank god that I am columbian and pay more attention to MLs liga more.

4. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I know everyone thinks Escobar is going to Seattle because of the D. Cali links, but it doesn't make any sense. We already have 3 starter-quality centerbacks (Ianni, Hurtado, TMarshall) and a decent sub (Graham). I don't think Marshall is on the brink of retiring either.

5. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern Munich isn't a superclub....?

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Mexico

7. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    doesn't chivas or club america count as a "super club?"

8. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brasil doesn't REALLY have a super club.

Anymore, Boca and River have become so average that Argentina only has two superclubs in history, not in reality. Same with Mexico, Chivas and America once dominated, now more or less are stuck in the mid table every tournament.

9. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    but because teams have been a little shakey as of late, does that mean they arn't a supper club? Look at a teams like Arsenal or liverpool. they have been falling behind the Chelskis and man yoos. I'd still call them "super clubs."

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define: superclub, and this conversation will be much more fruitful.

FWIW, I'd still consider Chivas and American superclubs, but if their recent "funk" continues (or, if you believe that the rest of Mexico has simply caught up), they'll loose that status.

In regards to England, their superclubs are quickly falling to two.

As to this topic, I can't wait for the day when the headline will read "3 MLS Clubs sign Columbian defenders"

11. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    not quite the same as argentina
    in argentina boca has 33 titles and river has 23 the closest one to them has like 10 less

in mexico chivas has 11 titles and america has 10, in third toluca has 9,then cruz azul 8,pumas 6 and so on, so in reality mexico doesnt have superclubs,mexico only has big clubs,not superclubs.

12. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The other way around... River has 33, Boca has 24 and then yes the one closest is Independiente with 14. But then again on the international stage River is behind at least 3 teams, Boca, Independiente and Estudiantes. Boca won the Libertadores 6 times and the Intercontinental 3 times, Independiente won the Libertadores 7 times and the Intercontinental 2 times, Estudiantes won the Libertadores 4 times and won the Intercontinental only once, then River won the Libertadores 2 times and won the Intercontinental only once, though River is the one that played the Libertadores the most, mainly for their amount of domestic titles.

13. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not in any way shape nor form are they, with a country with as much footballing history as England, 'superclubs' are formed by history not current form.

Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal are considered 'superclubs' having won the most titles, namely 18, 18, 13. Whereas Chelsea despite their success throughout the 00's aren't considered a massive club by most English football fans for the reason that their history pre Abramovich is pretty average with the exception of a couple of European competitions.

Teams such as Tottenham Hotspur (mainly for their cup exploits), Everton and Aston Villa have a greater claim to being English superclubs than Chelsea have now, it'll take at least a few more English titles, a good few more cups wins and a spell of prolonged dominance along with a massive hike in attendence before Chelsea are viewed as a major club amongst traditionalists.

14. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the topic at hand...
    I'm glad that MLS is able to sign these players. The more young foreign players the league can attract the better it will be for the league, as MLS still seems to carry a stigma throughout much of the world (aside from Scandanavian clubs, apparently) whereas a player like Montero will draw some interest from overseas. A steady influx (and eventual selling of) this type of player will help the league become a developmental league.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    With LA signing Leonardo (a CB), I would guess that they aren't one of the teams going after one of these three players.

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marshall isn't getting any younger though, and I say :eek: on Ianni (and Graham). Seattle had a great first year, but fans of the team should hope for upgrades, too, as Sigi gets more time to refine the team.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweet from Robb Heineman.

Random guess, but I think KC might have gotten one of them.

18. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mfl

19. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Thank god you're Colombian, so you know how to spell your own nationality correctly.

20. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  21. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If my nationality wasn't already destroyed by all posters here I would care. I was just following the trend.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    No, he means he's from Columbia, SC.

25. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team: