MLS should merge with the USL.

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by SC in SF, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be funny if we started a thread and posted all our first ever posts....

2. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally. I forgot about that one. I'm surprised I was able to type that all out, considering how much I had to drink that night. . .

BTW, since we're posting SC in SF's PM's (too many acronyms there)

3. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    get a life drunk ass calexico77 or maybe you're too drunk to get one.

4. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the standard soccer adjective was "massive".

This is a "massive" thread...

5. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this thread kept me laughing the whole time

6. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Calexico 77. By the way, SC in SF, I'm glad that you're interested in soccer and that you're thinking about the future of MLS. But, until soccer is more firmly established in the US (that is, has a much bigger fan base and much bigger T.V. revenues -- which may take a long, long time), it's way too early to even begin to start thinking merging the two leagues. I hope that you and your friends & family go to Earthquake games -- the Quakes need as many good fans as they can get if they are to make enough money to be able to remain in the Bay Area -- the rumor is that they may have to move to Texas the year after next.

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    the why not, owners aren't going to keep sinking 30 million + of their own money into soccer-specific stadiums if relegation was a possibility to the A-League that draws <5,000 fans for most teams. They've lost ~400 million starting MLS and wouldn't do it with a merged system. pro soccer desperately needs the stadiums and long-term contracts that locks up the best young US talent (Convey, Beasley, Howard) to sell them tot Europe when they're ready. neither would make sense if demotion caused revenues to become ~1 million a year in the A-League. also MLS has salary cap that produces parity, so the bottom teams vary quite a bit year after year. owners would have to drop the cap if they were to face demotion and MLS can't do that

i did this cause I get the feeling "some" here won't go back and read the countless threads and this'll happen even more than once every 2 weeks

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's MLS offseason time here at BigSoccer. I'd say the nuttiness is alreadly off to a good start. We're overdue for both "rename all the teams" and "put corporate logos on the front of the jerseys" threads.

9. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Thanks for restating the already stated.