MLS should merge with the USL.

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by SC in SF, Nov 20, 2004.

1. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    MLS and the USL should merge together. MLS controls the first division, while the USL controls the divisions below MLS, that way we could have promotion and relegation. What do you guys think?

2. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's funny how every time someone comes up with one of these ideas and posts it, they have to have that damn thumbs up icon to go with it.

3. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    I think you should eat ____!!!!

4. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think the Big Soccer bug of re-ordering the posts in this thread makes it even funnier than intended.

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    no thank you. MLS loses money, doesn't need the drag of the current USL finances. The benefit isn't there YET. and if anyone brings up a certain p/r topic, prepare for an onslaught.

6. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF

I think hes gay. :eek:

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Stupidest. Idea. Ever.

8. Rockey J Squirrel

Feb 27, 2003
    Brigham city Utah
    The USSF defines what a First Divsion League is; it did not grant a monoply to MLS. So lets put the money into the USL divsion I to build stadiums and pay for talent (maybe no salery limits) and see what head to head competion does for the MLS.

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Most likely scenario involving a MLS-USL merger

MLS admits Rochester, Portland, and Seattle in under a reduced expansion fee. May add another expansion team to balance out.

MLS gives the other first division teams compensation and leaves them to their own devices.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It still boggles my mind every time I see somebody who thinks promotion/relegation could work in the US. Maybe 100 years from now, but not now.

People who think this should attend some of the A-league games in the crap stadiums. I loved the fact that we had the Syracuse Salty Dogs, but the games were on a short, thin, artificial turf, baseball field. I had a vision of Freddy Adu tripping over the pitchers mound and destroying his knee.

In fact there are so many arguments against this, it's not even worth talking about.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    this will never happen

12. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

holy golly gee willickers bat man!

13. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    This thread is CLOSED man. It's too controversial for people to identify with.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I am laughing right now.

15. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Ok dude, PUT THE BONG DOWN! How high are you, I assume because you'd have to be to come up with something like this.

And can I have some of what your smoking?

16. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    MLS Premiership (1st Division)
    MLS Championship (2nd Division - USL Division 1 and 2) ;)

17. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally! Your thinking. . . it like. . . BLEW MY MIND!! I was like "WHOA!! I hope this guy has a website, cuz I dig the way he thinks, man!"

Seriously. Search this site for the smoldering carcasses of the 100+ threads dedicated to this idea.

18. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    i think your brains busted.

19. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF

People are just on crack too much these days and can't think strait. MLS merging with the USL is not a farfetched idea, it's just people who are on crack against it.

20. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    maybe too much beer...

21. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC

you should explain why, so that people won't come up with this kind of trade again in the future...

22. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone else said; that Newbies shouldn't be allowed to create threads.

23. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It didn't? I thought the "USSF granted MLS a D-I monopoly" was part of the original MLS players' lawsuit against the league. The players were looking for at least the possibility to have a rival league to directly compete against MLS. They lost that part of the suit, but I think it was because, "MLS lost $250 M, so no one else in their right mind would go through this folly again," instead of deciding the question directly.

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think that once your caretaker catches you on the computer, you'll be sedated and placed back in your straitjacket, and medicated to such an extent that, should you ever work your way loose again, you won't be able to remember your bigsoccer password.

That, and that newbies shouldn't be allowed to start threads.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The amount of abuse you received on this thread would've been eliminated completely if you'd made an effort to explain why it's not a farfetched idea, taking into account the different financial structures of both leagues, differences in size of venues, and so forth. You wouldn't have received any abuse at all because, had you thought this idea through just a little bit, you would've concluded, "man, that's a dumb idea" and not posted.