MLS reveals new set of standings tiebreakers for '12 season

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Aug 8, 2012.

1. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get it. great. but this league needs to stop switching and changing rules all the ********ing time. actually this applies to the game worldwide as well.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    MLS is growing and hasn't established itself completely.

What MLS might do with 20 teams in the league will very likely be different than what it has had to do with just 19 (or 18, or 16, or 15, or 12 or 10) teams in the league.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't believe they've changed these rules in years -- despite the long standing need for them to be changed. I don't recall how old these previous rules were, but they were very long standing. Indeed, for all I know, this is the first time the tie-breaking procedure has been changed. (Somebody I'm sure can say for certain on that point.)

So I'm not convinced your complaint here is really founded in reality.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he is making a complaint about how MLS changes rules in general on a basis, not just this specific instance.

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to SS, an East vs. West tiebreaker could be needed to determine MLS Cup home field, and also CCL qualification if a fill-in team is needed due to someone qualifying by more than one criterion.

(Also, less importantly, it could matter for draft and allocation orders.)

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm roughly 99% sure that this is the first change in 17 seasons.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are they changing these rules in the middle of the season? Why not establish them before the season starts?

Seems a bit unfair to me.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that was possibly a change I can think of had to do with the elimination of the shootout.

The original rules listed the the first tiebreaker as "head-to-head win-loss record," which was interpreted by fans during the shootout years to mean that shootout wins and real wins counted the same for tiebreaker purposes, even though they had different point values in the standings. I don't think the league ever said so explicitly, though, and there was never a situation where varying interpretations would have made a difference.

After the shootout was scrapped, nothing was changed in the published tiebreakers--it still said "win-loss record" with no mention of draws. For two-way ties, this didn't really present a problem--whoever won the most games between the two teams was the winner, even if there were also some draws mixed in. It became confusing when trying to analyze 3-way (or more) ties, especially when the 3 teams didn't all play each other for the same number of games. You'd add up the combined head-to-head records, and it wasn't clear what the standard was to rank the "win-loss record." Winning percentage? Points per game? Winning percentage with draws ignored? Who knew? Eventually some journalists dug into their league sources and it was revealed that the real standard was points-per-game, and at some point they finally fixed the published tiebreakers to explain that.

So, it would seem that the only change before now was from win-loss record with shootouts to points-per-game without shootouts, and it just took them a few years to tell us about it.

However, it could be that points-per-game was always the standard, even in the shootout days, and they just did a horrible job of drafting the published rules from Day 1, which would mean they never made a change before this one.

RapidStorm repped this.
  9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Clearly MLS is getting ready to be a fall-to-spring season league at some point. So these summer announcements will be well-timed off-season modifications in future years.

blacksun repped this.
  10. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    If the idea were to materialize, which market could be the first to stage such games? Japan? Aussie?

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Canada.

And then Mexico.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I was thinking that too. But I wasn't completely certain either.

Somebody must have some old media guides from back in the 1990s ...

13. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    No, but they have changed the playoff format quite a bit recently. Gone from a fairly simple unbalanced schedule to a balanced schedule to a even more unbalanced schedule centered around conference play.

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I understand Matt Doyle reports elsewhere that these changes were adopted in the winter and the teams were informed. So that addresses my big complaint. Leaves me only to whine about the incompetent lack in timeliness of communications which is kinda just bitchin. So, whatever.

15. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    If 2012 rules were to be applied to past seasons, the most significant impacts would be:

2000: Chicago Fire would have won the SS ahead of KC on Goals Scored.
    2009: Houston would have won the Western Conference and Runners up to the SS ahead of LA Galaxy.

16. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the league's Board of Governors have jurisdiction over the SS? Is it automatically required to abide by MLS's tiebreakers? Or, is there a separate governing body that would have to adopt the updated tiebreakers?

17. DirtyStriker

DirtyStriker Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Basehor, KS
    When it was created the supporters had jurisdiction over tiebreakers, and decided it should follow the same format as the league rules as that was what the teams were following/playing for. I don't know if that means the tiebreakers automatically adjust to what the league decides though. Also with the SS having more importance due to Champions League spots, I don't know if the supporters the supporters have the same control. Sam Pierron would likely know the most about this.

18. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    The league will determine the SS winners (or minimally the teams to be awarded the CCL spots) based on the new rules, which say:

19. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It would be fairly insane for there to be different qualification rules for the playoffs and SS.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    It would be.

But USSoccer controls the CCL spots.

USSoccer can award those however they see fit (although I'm sure there's a lot of collaboration and discussion with MLS).

At some point, a non-US-based MLS team could win the Supporters Shield, and that team would not be awarded one of USSoccer's spots in the CCL.

henryo repped this.
  21. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Good Point.

On the note of non-US teams winning the SS, the best placing so far was 11th in 2010 by TFC. In 2009, TFC were 12th at 39 points (the highest by non-US teams), just 1 point away from 8th-place and play-off.

Vancouver is currently sitting on 8th place at 37 points, 10 points away from SS with 10 games to go, well on-course to set new records for placing, points total and play-off advancement (should they qualify).

Keep it up...

22. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    More "impacts" on past seasons with the new rules:

2005: LA Galaxy would have finished 3rd in Western Conference ahead of Colorado, and played Dallas instead of San Jose in the conference semi-final.

2007: Chicago would have finished 8th overall behind Kansas City, and needed to "switch conference" to face Chivas USA in the conference semi-final instead.

profiled repped this.
  23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Does this make their run to the cup more deserving?

24. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    Bingo... This rewards BOTH sides of the game. There is no genuine reason to penalize teams that play good D.

scaryice repped this.
  25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    No, but it proves MLS wasn't doing enough (early enough) to help put their finger on the scale to help everybody's favorite clubs from NY and LA.

By not setting these new standings tiebreakers back in 2005 (but waiting until 2012) we can see that this was clearly just an attempt by MLS to help the likes of Colorado finish in 3rd and not 4th in their conference in 2005. I'm sick (retroactively back to 2005) of the league establishing and maintaining regulations/rules that are aimed at helping these non-costal teams.

Jasonma, profiled and RapidStorm repped this.