News: MLS Rest Of Season Schedule. FWIW

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Wow, BigSoccer is dead... I am moving on. I'll miss you guys and will check in occasionally to see if there if new home base.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, it may be down to just me, but my online support for my team shall take place in this forum, as always! Glad I decided to brave the cold and go to Nashville in Feb. Earned my Road Fan Badge and kept my live game streak alive another season.

If we can reach the playoffs with an interim manager and without Josef, I'll take that and be happy. Howay the Stripes (lol)!

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Still nothing on Gonzalez. I wonder if he's concerned about who our next manager will be.

5. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of us are still here. But with no actual soccer, it's hard to be engaged.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As for AUFC... Yours truly has had end-of-life year auditing and reporting to file, so it's like harvest season these two months. Plus I think we're all kind of in a stupor over the results from the tourney.

But I've also noticed a trend at a lot of message boards that traffic as a whole has decreased except for a few sites pertaining largely to politics. A lot of folks have experienced an online media burnout from their time in quarantine, and that their usual outlets like sports, movies, and travel are likewise in a slowdown there's only so many times you can post "So done with 2020!" Most of my friends and family that I would chat with via Fb 2-3 times per week are now down to 1-2 at best, with others just scared of what they'll see so they're taking a Fb sabbatical.

Meanwhile I asked Roberson about the lineup when matches resume. As of Wednesday he felt confident Torres would start right away as striker but was unsure about where Damm would slot in. A lot will hinge on formations and the opponent. Was hoping he'd tip his hand regarding that but really sounds like Glass is not trying to force anything right now and is looking to see how select partnerships are working among the players in practice.

Word from a couple friends who try to spy on the camp is training looks lively, and none of the players' media pages I've seen have hinted at any lingering frustration or issues. Most seem anxious to put the MIB event behind them, so while this year will still have issues I think they'll at least be better then what we saw in July.

There will be match threads and news to come. Just need actual news to happen!

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Roberson has put out his projected lineup for Saturday, suggesting a 4-2-3-1.

Guzan
    Lennon-Robinson-Meza-Bello
    Larentowicz-Hyndman
    Damm-Martinez-Barco
    Torres

That's a lot of speed on the wings but it might tax Lennon's defensive limits. Barco will have to be smarter in his movement, too; He can't leave Bello without support and no more running into the same space as Pity.

The big thing here, though, would be Pity himself. Can he play as a disciplined director of the offense or will he think only in terms of a singular play and sometimes run out of position?

I'm not averse to this lineup but will have to check in on Nashville to see how this matches up against thm. It does put the most aggressive pieces on the pitch at the same time while allegedly providing defensive cover. If Hyndman can play the Nagbe role well enough this could work very well, provided the youth on the wings have the discipline to match their ability.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll be honest, and I know not everyone will agree with me, and that’s okay, everyone is entitled to their prerogative, but I’m withdrawing a lot of my support from MLS because of their politics. Some fans might love, and that’s good for them... but I’ll never watch a game again with this collective kneeling for the anthem. So, I’ll probably keep up from a distance, but I’ll never go to a game again, I’ve cancelled my cable subscription, and I’ll never purchase another piece of merchandise again. I hope that’ll change, but not until MLS stays out of politics.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm sorry to read this. I think I know where you stand politically, so I've worked to keep the various threats to my life and the lives of people who look like me off the forum. I've enjoyed your posts here, and I hope you'll stick around and post in support of your club. Fish as well, tho I suspect he's more unhappy about de Boer's exit than he's let on. Managers are hired to be fired, in most cases.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. I know, I have always enjoyed our discussions on here. And I miss the days when the game was the great unifier. We could all take a break from the politics and share in the sport we love. I’m praying that this nation comes back together and praying for wisdom on how to better speak to people who have a different belief system than me. And I’ll say, if we can all just learn to talk respectfully to each other, we could all feel so much more positive about things.

11. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I agree with the sentiment of the political stances being taken. I also agree, though, that politics need to be kept out of football. I specifically watch sports to escape from "real life."

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Life was so much easier when some could ignore racism and pretend racism is political.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Those of us who can escape often seek to do so. I cannot, and unless I'm wrong, neither can the poster above me.

sitruc repped this.
  14. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, which part of my decision to spend money paying minority and white athletes millions of dollars to play a child's game is racist? Which part of my support for the most racially-diverse supporters' group in the world is racist? Which part of Atlanta United's decision to hire a foreigner and a Hispanic guy to run the team is racist? And why is it necessary to disrespect veterans and first responders to support black people?

Why doesn't the team wear "Unborn babies' lives matter" shirts? Why don't they wear "Women's lives matter" shirts? Why don't they wear "Suicidal veterans' lives matter" shirts? None of those issues should be political, and yet they're politicized every day.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Come on, man. Adults do not play children's games. Children play at doing an adult's job, whether that job is musician or doctor or actor or firefighter or teacher or footballer. A workplace is a workplace, whether the attire is kits and boots or suits and ties.

I think the rest belongs in P&CE myself.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do want to say that I think it's past time for the league's site to update the standings to reflect the fact that we're now into the season again.

17. Cltfcfantv

Cltfcfantv Member

Spurs
    England
    Oct 11, 2020
    Well I have to post 10 threads before I can create my own. With that being said Atlanta are you lot looking forward to Charlotte FC joining the league. I am assuming the banter will cross over from the Panthers/Falcons which is pretty close to derby game?

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There was a guy here who lives in South Carolina and was mulling over which team he'd support, but I think he decided to split. I was a Steeler supporter in my NFL-watching days, so I can't say what Falcons or Panthers fans will do.

19. Cltfcfantv

Cltfcfantv Member

Spurs
    England
    Oct 11, 2020
    I'm sure the natural divide will continue to be there... I mean after the Falcons lost yesterday they look to be letting the head coach and co go...

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Welcome aboard!

Absolutely, and (pending pandemic conditions) my usual Atlanta seat mate and I will be travelling to any matches in the Queen City. I think your owner is trying to do things the right way and is seriously vested in the city, which is always great to see. I have enjoyed my brief trips there in the past few years and am hoping for something more genuine in a rivalry than the forced and spite-filled thing we have with Orlando. Atlanta's culture has more in common with Nashville and Charlotte, I feel, so the competition should be fierce but congenial.

That's my hope, anyway.

21. Cltfcfantv

Cltfcfantv Member

Spurs
    England
    Oct 11, 2020

Well that was a nice welcome from an ATL fan :) Sucks you have Gunner in your name though not sure if that's in reference to Arsenal... if not I apologize for me last sentence. We too are super stoked about coming down 85 to watch Charlotte FC win. Tepper is for sure fully vested in this so it will be a fun banter between us as usual.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh I'm an Arsenal fan! Have been since the early 80's.

Cltfcfantv repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wondering just how different Orlando is/would have been if we hadn't bought that billboard. I mean, they've had reason to have beef with us- do they have it with anyone else? I haven't been to ORL since 9th grade, so I can't make a call on the residents.

They did beat up a United fan back in '17 or '18, IIRC.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  24. Cltfcfantv

Cltfcfantv Member

Spurs
    England
    Oct 11, 2020
    Sorry mate!!