MLS Ratings on ESPN2 up since WC

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by kenntomasch, Aug 6, 2002.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLS Confidential:

That's encouraging. Maybe people tuned in, found they liked Jack and Ty and decided to come back? ;)

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    good news...

3. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Now that I discovered Veronica, I will be tuning into more MLS games..... Does she do sideline reporting for weekly games as well?

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a positive step. Lets hope a good chunk of that continues to watch all the way to the MLS championship.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

yes... she didn't during the world cup, but that was because she was in j/k with jack, ty and everyone's favorite... lisa salters (a real reporter)

6. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Very, very good news indeed.

7. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Dude, these numbers are still pathetic.

8. jackistheman

jackistheman New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Maybe? Try definitely.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

actually, they really aren't that bad... they aren't great, but they aren't bad

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted they're not too hot, but they're not that much worse than ratings I've seen for some of ESPN2's other programming.

Ice hockey on ESPN2 had an average rating of 0.3 a few years ago, women's basketball 0.2, etc.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    This story is just a bit ridiculous given the Nielsen methodology. All of the discrepancies listed are well within Nielsen's margin for error.

12. Any rise in the ratings is an improvement. Last time I checked, improvement was important, no matter how much or how little. Rome wasn't built in a day....and neither was MLS. It took like 3 years for attendance to begin to rise (fell after the 1st and 2nd years I think....)

13. For espn2, they're actually not bad at all. ESPN2 is probably the perfect type exposure for MLS right now.

14. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    What sort of average rating would be needed for a TV contract where ESPN pays for rights to MLS?

0.3? 0.4? 0.5? 0.8? 1.2?

Any thoughts?

15. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i don't think it is going to be any set tv rating

it's just going to take time and encroachment into the american sports scene

16. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This echoes what Garber said a few days ago in his State of the League address. Hopefully this can be sustained the rest of the season. The next big test is going to be growing these ratings over the next 4 years.

As for being pathetic - maybe, but considering ESPN is putting pennies into MLS for each dollar it spends (literally, as well as time on Sportscenter) on hockey for similar ratings, this is pretty good.

I am guessing, but I would say MLS has to get close to 0.5 or double what they have now to get any money out of a TV contract. That could happen in 4 years, with help from the Nats, but again, it is going to be tough to grow these ratings without a WC.

17. good point about investment. When you consider that the NHL got a 600 million dollar tv contract from abc/espn yet they get similar ratings to mls. I would say mls is probably a pretty good deal for them.

18. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i would imagine that would be something that they wouldn't necessarily like to admit too... am i wrong on that or??

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, with the advent of SUM, getting $$ for TV rights might not be part of the plan. If ratings go up, SUM can leverage ad sales and sponsorships in a way ESPN2 never could. And SUM ought to be able to sell ads for soccer broadcasts more efficiently than ESPN2 (since they'd already have the relationships.)

What I'm trying to say is, for the foreseeable future, it's probably win-win for ESPN2 to continue to get the guaranteed, low hassle income from a timebuy, and for SUM to reap the benefits of higher ratings.

That won't be the case if ratings go way, way up, but so long as ratings are slowly but surely going up, SUM and ESPN/2 may both benefit from the timebuy.

20. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    that first quarter had 3 us soccer matches make the top 10... 1, 3, and 10 for the rankings

the second quarter had a us soccer match at #1 and a highlight show at #10 (15 minutes???)

First Quarter
    #1 1:00pm - 3:00pm 02/03 Sat 1.8 (what was this???)
    #3 4:30pm - 6:30pm 02/28 Weds 1.6 (US vs Mexico at Columbus)
    #10 2:30pm 4:30pm 01/27 Sat 1.1

Second Quarter
    #1 4:30p 6:30p 25-Apr Weds 1.8
    #10 1:45p 2:00p 02-May Weds 1.3 (highlight show)

what was the highlight show of??

22. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    That 15 minutes of highlights must have been after a Champions League game?!?

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA 0-1 Colombia at the Orange Bowl

USA 2-1 China at the Oakland Coliseum

USA 1-0 Costa Rica at Arrowhead

24. meg4food

meg4food New Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Little League "World Series" kicks ass on ESPN2. Would a telecast of the best U.S. U-13 side against the best the world has to offer draw similar interest? Could it match the LLWS for scandals?

25. SpeakEasy8

SpeakEasy8 New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    While that may be true in the short-term, I am sure in the long-term MLS will want primetime coverage. For a weekly primetime spot MLS would need to strike a deal.