MLS PromotionShip, MLS with 56 teams, 28 relegation free

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Paulo_PT, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    In my opinion, MLS could have a MLS One (D1) and a MLS Two (D2) leagues.

With a MLS Two more teams could enter MLS Universe, making soccer bigger and stronger in USA.

An MLS with 32 teams, 28 will be relegation free BECAUSE THEY WILL ENTER MLS in this expansion process with fees and stuff.

The remaining 4 TEAMS will come FROM MLS TWO each season.

MLS Two will have other costs and fees, with the advantage of earning a spot in MLS One in the following season.

At the end of each season MLS PROMOTIONSHIP will be played between the 2 MLS TWO worst teams playing that season in MLS One and 6 top teams from MLS Two.

The permanent 28 teams will not be relegated, but the position at the end of each season will define in wich round they enter in US Open Cup. It's a kind of "Promotion/relegation" system for this teams.

My 28 MLS ONE relegation free team locations:
    - Western Conference (14 teams): Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles (2), San José, Sacramento, Dallas, Houston, Twin Cities and Kansas City.
    - Eastern Conference (14 teams): Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Nashville, Chicago, Detroti, Columbus, Cincinnati, Raleigh, DC, Philadelphia, New York (2) and Boston.

28 MLS TWO teams/locations:
    - San Francisco, Orange County, Inland Empire, Las Vegas, Austin, San Antonio, OKC, St. Louis, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Memphis, Tampa Bay, Jascksonville, Louisville, Indianápolis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Hampton Roads, Baltimore +8 TBD

MLS TWO will have 24 teams competing each season, because 4 will compete in MLS One. So 12 teams in western conference +12 teams in eastern conference. 22 intraconference games+12 interconference games=34 games. + MLS PromotionShip.

D3 will be made from MLS One and MLS Two sattelite teams + maybe 8 independent teams= 64 teams.

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    In my opinion, MLS should focus on developing a strong D2 Soccer League.
    I'm not seing USL being the best D2 in the future. I believe the gap between MLS and USL will be bigger and bigger.

MLS should stop MLS expansion process for now, staying with 24 teams, delaying Nashville and other until 2022, seing how this new model will result.

Starting the process of growing a new D2 Soccer League, probably with expansion fees around 25 millions.
    Detroit, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, San Antonio, Phoenix bids could enter this D2 for now and not in MLS. Nashville and the other anounced this month will play in this D2 without paying the D2 fee because they already payed the MLS expansion fee.
    I think the end prize of playing next season in MLS will be welll received.

They could do this for the 2019 season, giving promotion berths for the MLS 2020 season.
    In 2020 MLS could have 28 teams, but with 4 teams coming from D2 MLS new league, the top 4.

Who knows if CanPL succeeds and Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal leaves MLS in 2025, before 2026 World Cup in North America. I think an 2026 World Cup in North America could be a huge factor in the break-up between US and Canada Soccer Pyramid. :D

Why?
    Because MLS should't do the same the other sport leagues did: to many teams and still missing some big markets.

I think MLS should have 2, 3 or 4 berths for "promotion/relegationish system".

This new D2 (TBD) will have probably ONLY 16 teams. At the end of each season a MLS PromotionShip will be played between the best D2 teams (Like D2 Cup finalists) of the season and the worst D2 of the season playing in MLS. The other 2 D2 teams in MLS will be safe for next season.

Also they could use this new D2 to create some sort of financial parachute for a non-restrictive "promotion/relegation" system.

USL will be running D3 and D4 soccer leagues within this model. With "promotion/relegation" between D3 and D4.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?