MLS Playoffs and the progressively non-existent home field advantage

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Unak78, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #1 Unak78, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    First off here are some links of articles from this year that deal with the subject:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/blog/2014/10/24/notyourshield
    http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/...seattle-sounders-la-galaxy-new-york-red-bulls
    http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/03/14/away-goals-mls-playoffs
    http://www.dynamotheory.com/2014/1/16/5316800/the-ever-changing-mls-playoff-format
    http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...shield-means-nothing-in-the-chase-for-mls-cup

This is a subject that I will continue to bring up as long as I'm a fan of MLS. I think what bothers me the most is that MLS seems to want to have their cake and eat it too along a number of areas.

The idea that MLS actually has a home field advantage is continuously bandied about in during the games whenever playoff positioning gets brought up despite using a formula that they have said is now progressively more intended to replicate the Champions League. But, as has been said before, the Champions League was designed to negate home advantage. It seems clear that MLS wants to artificially create parity in it's playoffs without saying it, so the talking points hit on how much they want to emulate the "global system" used in UEFA and Champions Leagues around the world. If MLS actually wanted to emulate actual globally used playoff systems there are plenty of examples of actual playoff systems used abroad, and I can't recall any that directly copy the set of rules that are most utilized by Champions Leagues. Bring up Belgium or Mexico and both have avenues which truly represent home advantage. Neither use away goals. But what really causes MLS' argument of emulating the global system to ring false is the that the tie breaker that they use in the regular season is not only at odds with the tie breakers that most leagues use, it almost deviates from that which is used in their own playoffs.

So here you have MLS wanting to call the playoffs the culmination of the regular season yet creating rules that do more to divorce it from the rest of the season. MLS wanting to emulate the "global system" yet implementing global systems in the oddest of circumstances in one instance yet ignoring it in others. MLS wanting to state that they have a "home advantage" yet utilizing a system devised to negate it.

It bothers me that MLS continues to insult my intelligence. If you don't want a home advantage, quit saying that you have one. And I recognize that there are places where advantages exist. In the first round playing the short-rested wildcard teams. In the final where actual home advantage exists. But in the middle rounds where they have the home and home games, MLS is remarkably schizophrenic as to what they want. The home advantage that they speak of is really the extra time of the second match. But not only is this interfered with by the fact that MLS uses an aggregate scoring system in each round, they doubled-down against that by implementing the away goals system this year. So clearly they don't want games to actually get to the tiny portion of each series that would represent the only advantage that teams actually get for better performances throughout the regular season.

Anyways I'm a bit tired as I write this, and my thoughts aren't totally structured, but I just wanted to get this into the ether and get people discussing this again. MLS wants the playoffs to represent the the highest goal of the MLS season, and in principle I have no disagreement with this. But it should, in my mind, then be more representative of the regular season that it stemmed from. That's only fair.

I think that what MLS is doing is mollifying certain realities that they have to deal with in creating parity. MLS has a capped league, that hasn't changed. MLS wants superstars so they created exceptions in order to make it possible for inclined teams to purchase them. MLS also wanted and needed to be a functioning part of the player development model and teams who were inclined to be more involved in this reasonably demanded to have control over the players that they developed. So what you see is a core parity model that has become somewhat compromised by other factors that somewhat offset that parity. That's part of what happens when you want to have your cake and eat it too. So I think that MLS chooses to use this playoff system to offset those advantages that they've had to give up to the clubs with stronger markets and bigger player development pools. The problem is that they don't want to admit that they're doing this so they come up with this "global system" excuse when it's obvious that that's bs.

I guess there's a part of me that wishes that they would just admit this and quit jerking me around. And then there's a part of me that understands why they can't admit it even though I don't think that they're fooling anyone.

So there's a lot of things I want to discuss here. What do you think about the system? Would you prefer if MLS were more transparent about why they use this system? And do you even agree with my reasoning about why MLS truly wants the current system? Okay have at it...

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    MLS is like Homer Simpson designing a car.

They want so many things put into it, they don't care about the final product as long as it has the things they put into it.

The wild card was for the clubs, whose fans might have tuned out much earlier otherwise.

The second home match was for the fans of the teams who did make the playoffs.

The single match conference final has to be a one-of to get on the cable TV schedule and save money on travel.

The finals location has to be in the warm climate (and the more the Galaxy benefits from that warm climate, the better).

You add everything up and it's the dumbest, most idiotic system ever invented.

Boloni86 and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unak78 says that the regular season and playoff series have different tiebreakers. The wins tiebreaker used in the regular season wouldn't help in the playoffs because if the aggregate was equal the wins must be equal also (either 1 each or 0 each with both games being draws). The away goals tiebreaker used in the playoffs could hypothetically be used as a regular season tiebreaker but it would be strange to use away goals scored before goal differential or total goals scored.

4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Of the two of you, the bolded you is the one who is being reasonable.

IMO, people worry too much about what MLS says. If you'd like a different system, by all means, make a case. But they end up here for good reasons.

1) The final at home of the higher ranked team makes a lot of sense. It's probably too much of an advantage to that team but the alternatives of best of three or a neutral site are worse.

2) For the middle rounds, you want home and home. Whoever goes second has the advantage so you give that to the higher ranked team. I can take or leave away goals, personally I kind of like it, but not a big deal to me.

3) The wild card gets a couple of more teams into the playoffs, which is valuable, and putting them on a short week seems fair since they are the wild card and also you don't want to add an extra week to the playoffs just for a wild card.

I guess I'm not sure what you're really objecting to since this seems like a reasonable compromise.

Unak78 repped this.
  5. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #5 Unak78, Oct 30, 2014
    The point I was making here is that the regular season tiebreaker goes away from the global standard yet the playoff tiebreaker was meant, in MLS' words, to move MLS closer to the global standard. It isn't about using away goals in the regular season but rather how MLS used the global standard as an excuse to shoehorn in a rule that had no business being used in playoff matches.

I think part of this is the idea that behind how they progressed along this path. MLS prides themselves on having informed fans. Many of us watch other leagues around the world, but to casual MLS fans the idea that UEFA's Champions League directly correlates to MLS' playoffs is more than misleading, it's damaging to the fact that we ourselves have our own Champions League that we play in and that equivalency minimizes it.

Also it's the manner that MLS obfuscated when the subject of home advantage would be brought up directly. Anyone who's gotten into a forum discussion, even on this site from time to time, can recall discussions (arguments... flame-wars really) in which you might bring up points that you feel are reasonable and the other person seems intent on continuously moving the goalposts and varying the topic to the point that you're no longer arguing the original point but defending opinions on topics that have little to do with it. At this point it's clear that the person you're arguing with is no longer contesting the topic but rather simply waiting for you to stop talking. That seems like how MLS played this very issue. For a league that does alot right and likes to be open with the public and their fans, that's a problem with me.

As for the structure itself, it seems as if just when I begin to come around to the merits of one system, they go ahead and move the goalposts one more tick in the wrong direction. First off it's that they play home and home. Then it's the fact that they do it on aggregate scoring. Then you add in the fact that they expanded the home and home. Now away goals, which is the one thing I had hoped would never occur especially with the amount of people and media who had specifically brought up the lack of home advantage and how implementing this rule would detract from that even more. It felt like MLS decided to just flip me off then.

6. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any hard math on this "non-existent advantage"? Oh, there's not? Because the sample size is too small!?

Damn. I guess now we'll need to have this conversation based entirely on speculation and gut feeling, instead of facts and logic. Too bad.

7. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #7 Unak78, Oct 30, 2014
    Logically you should be able to calculate odds based on probability. They teach that in math too. Also, do engineers and architects wait for buildings and bridges to fall down before they decide if a design is structurally sound?

Boloni86 repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to start a thread called, does MLS have the worst playoff system in US pro sports? And my answer was going to be yes.

Now I don't have to do it.

As a DC fan, I absolutely don't care AT ALL whether we came in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd wrt the playoffs. I honestly don't see any advantage. The only reason to come in first is to make the CCL and get extra allocation money.

To me, playoffs should accomplish two things. They should be interesting to fans, and legitimate. Of the NHL playoffs were a one game knockout like the NFL, that would be interesting, but people would say a single game doesn't mean much in hockey so the format wouldn't be legitimate. I think that's a weakness with baseball; all of the off days change the nature of baseball from a sport where starting pitching is important to one where relief pitching is what matters.

MLS' playoffs fail on both counts. It's not exciting because in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, what the first match is really just the first half of an extended game. MLS playoffs have 11 matches, and 4 of them lack resolution, and 4 of them have the potential to be dead rubbers. That's an awful ratio.

At the same time, as unak pointed out, the compulsion to kill off any advantage accruing from a superior regular season enhances random results, which seems illegitimate. Until the final, the MOST important match, where the best record gets HFA in a single match.

Do away goals serve as a tiebreaker in extra time? Cuz I'm going to completely lose my shit if DC gets to extra time, scores a goal, then gives one up and loses on the away goals tiebreaker.

BHTC Mike and AlbertCamus repped this.
  9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I would say that a "home field advantage" is more of a priori argument rather than a posteriori.

Fortunately, in this case, both provide the same answer.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't see the 1 seed having more rest than their Conference Semifinal first leg opponent as an advantage?
    MLS playoffs have 15 matches, 3 in one game, 6 first legs, and 6 second legs. I agree with you about baseball. To make the MLB playoffs more like the regular season I would make a rule that in any four consecutive games of one playoff series, four different pitchers must start. The last time my favorite team, the Yankees, won the World Series, they used only three starters in the playoffs.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a player from the 4-5 winner gets injured or a red card, then there's an advantage. Otherwise, in my view, "rest" helps but "momentum" hurts. My gut instinct is that they balance out.
    They just need to get rid of one of the off days within each series.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    BTW, the original poster didn't bring it up but the total number of games designed to determined a winner is laughable as well.

By comparison, Liga MX champ needs to play at least 8 matches to win, which is ~ 50% of its regular round-robin total.

A MLS Cup can play as few as 4 out of 34.

The worst playoff system in history?

You betcha and darn tooting right.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 actually (2 legged conference semis, 2 legged conference finals, 1 game MLS Cup).

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    2+ 2+ 1 ?

The conference finals are home and away this year?

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

16. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in the other thread but I think this should happen to encourage seeding during the regular season:
    I say do away with the play-in game. Then they could add a third game at the higher seed home in the event that is tied during the 2 leg series. This could be a better way to determine winners than the home-away format that I've never liked. Game "3" would be incredible spectacle compared to.... "and NY goes through on the away goals rule."

Boloni86 repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that the playoffs are a sprint and not a marathon doesn't make them inherently bad.

Want to play with math? Okay, fine.

5 games (minimum) after a 34-match season. That's less than 15% of a season.

A Super Bowl winner can play a minimum of 3 playoff games after a 16-game year, or just under 19%. Not much more. Boycott the NFL.

A World Series winner can play 162 game in the regular season and then win the title in as few as 11 games. That's less than 7% of the season. What a joke. :rolleyes: In fact, the MAXIMUM number of playoff games an MLB team can play is 20 -- that's still only 12% of a season; less than what MLS does. And it used to be LESS THAN THAT.

Playoffs are DESIGNED to be short, intense sprints. That's how they work.

So what would your alternative be? Best-of-fives? With the time constraints on the calendar and the marketing difficulties of selling playoff tickets?

jayd8888 and henryo repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always felt that the best of three format that MLS used in its early days was the best format. I'd be more than willing to ditch the play-in game if it allowed for enough time on the calendar to go back to that.

Boloni86 and henryo repped this.
  19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The NFL doesn't have a 50% playoff participation rate, so the "short playoffs" are among the top teams. The same is true of the MLB.

The NBA and the NHL, which both have a high percentage of its teams making the playoffs, have a much longer playoff system.

You can have either/or but not both.

At some point, marketing has to take a back seat to the sporting causes and the problem with the MLS playoff system is precisely this - every cause has been added in to dilute the main one.

As to what system I would prefer - home&away for every series (if you let the wild-card play-in, then let it be the best of two also) including the final, with the higher seed getting the goal tiebreaker. In other words, make it like the Mexican league. With the split seasons, to reduce the random nature of the outcomes.

PS. That would be the only thing I'd borrow from the Mexican soccer. I don't find the South of the Border soccer very appealing in general but their playoff set-up makes perfect sense.

20. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is the magic number for a regular season 34 games anyway? Go with 32 and add more playoff games. Even more incentive for clubs to make the playoffs. You get more games to sell and the regular season becomes more valuable. NFL only has 16 games and they are doing well because its about quality, not quantity in terms of games.

Boloni86 and henryo repped this.
  21. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You don't actually get more games to sell. If you cut two regular season games, every team loses a game at home. If you add two playoff games, only some teams gain. The regular season pays the bills. The playoffs are something tacked on at the end to decide a winner.

Pretty soon we're going to be in a situation of 24 teams with 10 making the playoffs. It's a pretty reasonable percentage and you don't save any time cutting it to 8 since the bottom 4 teams play midweek anyway.

8 teams, best of 3 would be fairer, but it has problems too. To not extend the season, you're going to have to play weekend-weekday-weekend twice in a row, which is not conducive to producing the highest quality. And if the third game isn't required, then you've got this gap there and you've traded a weekend game for a weekday game.

I'm not arguing that this is the fairest system of determining the champion (that would probably be the supporters shield) I'm arguing that this is a compromise that probably maximizes revenue for the league. That's important since the more money the league has, the more competitive it will be.

jayd8888 repped this.
  22. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFL has twice the revenue that NBA has and they play 16 games compared to 82. Its not all about how many games you have that determines monetary success. Again, quality over quantity brings more fans to the game and the television.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

23. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides which, I'd argue that Liga MX is the league whose playoffs are unusual and in a bad way. The Liga MX setup makes half the teams idle for a third of the season. And a team that makes the finals in both split seasons plays 50 league matches in a year, not even counting Copa MX and international competitions.

jayd8888 and nlsanand repped this.
  24. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Which one was the best? ;)
    • Best of 3 (1996-1999)
    • First to 5 (2000-2002)

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think that's wishful thinking. I'd give it a 10/1 odds that, as the number of teams go up, so will the number of the playoff teams

At some point, the league will have to put sporting reasons as superior to the mere financial. If they try to squeeze every last buck out of the game, it won't do anything to help its image.

And we know that Garber is very keen on these images.