MLS Playoffs 2008: Conference Finals [Rs]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Is this the first time a sub .500 team has made the final?

2. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    watching that game was like DeJA Vu all over again...

NY plays the most unnattractive soccer I have ever seen. I guess Osorio figured his team sucked and the best chance of winning was find 9 good defenders and let Richards and Angel score all their goals.

Osorio does deserve credit for formulating a winning strategy but he really lucked out by having Cepero fall into his lap.

Let's hope karma finally rolls back around and bites them in teh final because Columbus plays much better soccer IMO.

Columbus and NY have both suffered for many years with no playoff success or championships so at least they get some reward this year.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nope. In 2002, New England won the East and made the MLS Cup but had a record of 12-14-2

Also, in 1997 Colorado made the MLS Cup with a record of 14-18. They didn't have ties back then.

4. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    good for NY-finally all those loyal Metro fans have been rewarded with a trip to the big one. They deserve it-13 years of shite, and being shite upon by 3 different ownerships, not to mention the majority of the players. Good for them. They deserve this.

5. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    So what did they do? Penalty shootouts?

6. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of. Instead of penalties, they got the ball from like 25 yards out and had 5 seconds (I think, but it was definitely timed) to go one-on-one with the keeper.

7. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    hahaha, oh my God, that sounds awesome. I can't believe we never thought of that at intramurals. Does anyone have videos?

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was modeled after the old NASL-style shootout. They were pretty fun to watch because there was a decent chance of a keeper-shooter collision if the shooter made a bad touch. I remember in particular Eric Wynalda getting crunched on one.

I think they may have started at 30-35 yards. Have to be some on youtube somewhere.

9. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    [youtube]J_JpXVZwxYA[/youtube]

10. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    classic Metro-Vermes' legendary statement-"Esse, I shoot we win!" or was it more like "Esse, I shoot, we win?"

Shootouts were from 35 yards out and then had a giant shot clock on the field as well to tell the shooter how much time they had.

11. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weren't the goals bigger back then, too? Or was that just an idea they thought about?

12. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    goals were the same

the clock counted backwards and ended at 00:00 (no stoppage or injury time)

no ties-you got a point for a shootout win

of course they still had the yellow card caution point system