MLS on XMRadio

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DCU112, Jan 17, 2006.

1. DCU112

DCU112 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any movement on MLS' part to air games on an MLS satellite radio (XMRadio) station like MLB, NBA, etc.?

What a great way to reach supporters when television or cable is unavailable or when on travel.

Does anyone have an idea of how to move MLS to look into this as a broadcast option? (Perhaps this is a good way to develop soccer announcers.)

2. AEK

AEK Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they do it I hope they go with Sirius...I got one for x-mas and I love it!

3. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Boo on XM and Sirius, neither is availible in Hawaii.

I'm just glad they boardcast over the internet. Although being able to get games on my phone or on XM/Sirius would be cool (especially if I had that service availbie)

I think it would be cool if MLS Films or an MLS Highlight show were availible for download for an iPod or just to watch on iTunes.

4. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I think thats a better idea than satellite radio.

5. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm enjoying the EPL matches on Sirius. And I would listen to MLS matches on Sirius as well. It would be great to have that option.

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice for English speakers in NJ/NY to be able to hear Metro games on the radio.

7. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent an e-mail to XM back in early December asking about them carrying MLS, but I have yet to get a reponse. I'll post if they ever respond. I know they will be carrying the 2006 WC broadcasts.

8. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Same for English speaking Chivas fans in LA or even, for the matter, online. Does anyone know whom I could e-mail about Chivas games in english on MLSnet.com?

9. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a good idea. I am planning on getting Sirius by summer time so I am all for this idea.

10. doliveti

doliveti New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I emailed XM on this subject a few months ago and basically got a form email back saying they never know what will be added but thanks for the feedback.

11. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Whichever provider does more business with AEG figures to have an edge, but we'll have to see. Would be a nice move for MLS.

Of course, MLS would have to find announcers to ensure they have a broadcast of every game, many of them in both English and Spanish.

The costs are probably something MLS just doesn't want on their hands right now, seeing as they probably would not get paid for the broadcasts. Otherwise, I think a deal would've been done already.

12. AEK

AEK Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listen to my Texas Aggie Sports broadcasts on Sirius and it is the same broadcast team that does the PBP for the "Aggie Sports Network" (a group of radio stations that carry the broadcasts in Texas). They use the same feed but put it on Sirius, and since I live in NC it is wonderful. I guess if they were to do the same thing for MLS, as in just pick up the PBP announcers that teams use for local broadcasts, they would have to find English Speaking commentators for Chivas or Metros games. Do all of the other teams have local broadcasts of their games?

13. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Dallas: English and Spanish
    Los Angeles: English and Spanish
    D.C. United: English and Spanish
    Chicago: English and Spanish

MetroStars: Spanish only
    Chivas USA: Spanish only

Columbus: English only
    Real Salt Lake: English only

Kansas City: none
    New England: none
    Colorado: none

Houston: ???

Why get it from XM or Sirius when what I listed above you can get for free from mlsnet.com though?

14. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Answered your own question, didn't you?

15. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I didn't.

If I listed none, that means there is no radio coverage...anywhere, which means no feed for XM or Sirius to pick up. KC fans had a lot of sportsticker games this year.

16. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    XM is broadcasting the World Cup Games, so who cares about MLS when you get the best soccer event on thee air?

17. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    A league-wide contract with XM or Sirius would bring in many more advertising dollars than are currently generated from revenue. This in turn would make it more likely that a station would begin to broadcast those teams without good radio coverage.

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all of us get mlsnet.com in our cars, like you apparently do.

19. footballtrickster

footballtrickster New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Liverpool, NY
    You should keep hounding them about it if they dont respond. Make them reply out of annoyance. :D

20. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  21. clevemlsfan

clevemlsfan New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Re: MLS on not XM, Sirius

Hola Amigos i speak little spanish and in spite of this i tunes in to a few nights of ESPN Desportes on SIrius and i had to laugh at eMay eLay eSay (as they say with Gusto) these guys sounded great and enthused and of course even I with only four years of Spanish 28 years ago started to get little bits of it

I would kill for this same 1 hour MOn - FRI or even 1 hour a week same idea

22. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    In response to the guy who said The Rapids have no radio broadcasts that is untrue. All of our home games and atleast a couple road games a season are broadcast on the Altitude Radio Network which is carried in the Denver metro area on AM950 The Fan or one of its sister stations if there is a conflict with the Avalanche or Nuggets.

23. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already are.

I emailed MLS toward the end of this most recent season and asked them if they had any plans to broadcast their games via satellite radio.

The personalized response I received said that satellite radio was something the league was seriously looking into.

24. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already are.

I emailed MLS toward the end of this most recent season and asked them if they had any plans to broadcast their games via satellite radio.

The personalized response I received said that satellite radio was something the league was seriously looking into.

25. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already are.