MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is pathetic what you have to put up with in the KC area to get a broadcast of a SKC game. When we lived in the KC area, we canceled our cable and used Google Fiber to stream everything and never had a problem. That was before Bally got the broadcast rights. I'm out of state now and can easily watch any MLS or USL game on ESPN+, which is what I use.

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    ESPN+ and a VPN has worked for me on a majority of the games.

3. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Key word "majority". I was screwed out of the watching the Colorado game because ESPN+ and HULU both detected my VPN as being a VPN. I use Express VPN.

The work arounds all suck. With a VPN, your changing servers as the services (ESPN+, etc) figure out which servers are associated with a VPN. It's a bit of a pain in the a$$.

4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've been able to inexplicably watch a fair few SKC games just on ESPN+ with no VPN or anything. Doesn't always work, but it's worked enough that I try it every time now, haha.

5. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a related aside, the Bally's mobile app and FireTV app are not great. Surprise, surprise, I know.

You can't tune an event until it starts and, when it actually works (often it sits on a black screen), it then starts a pre-roll of two minutes of commercials that always includes a pitch for Stirrd (same owner as Bally's). So then, at best, you miss the first two minutes of the show.

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Absolutely agree with the PITA-ness of it all. But the VPN has worked 100% of the time for me as long as it's not a nationally televised (i.e. not available on ESPN+) game. Sometimes you gotta restart your browser because ESPN+ can still track your location through cookies (this is an educated guess, I'm not positive on the technical details) even after your VPN is up.

lukeD repped this.
  7. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the Seattle vs Santos Laguna game last night, I have to think that Seattle is an overwhelming favorite to win the MLS Cup. They battled the Liga MX giants toe to toe all night and in typical Seattle fashion, delivered the dagger in the last seconds of stoppage time courtesy of a great Ruidiaz goal. MLS finally has a team in the championship game that has a chance to beat a Liga MX opponent. I’ve never been a fan of the Sounders, but appreciate the quality of their organization and coaching staff. Good luck to them.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Absolutely agreed. New England gets a lot of press but I'm pretty sure in a cup match they'd fall to Seattle.

And those are pretty literally the last two teams I'd want to see win the Cup. Damn it.

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's the leagues cup, though, right? not the ccl... so i couldn't give a damn.

Buzz Killington repped this.
  10. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t think of a team I dislike more than Seattle, but I have to give them a lot of credit on how they played Leon last night. If not for a couple of bad breaks, they would have lifted the trophy. They went toe to toe with Leon all night and showed the gap between the best Liga MX teams and the best in MLS is shrinking.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it finished in the most classic mls/mx way: a late pk to give the mexican club the win. this is not a commentary on whether it was deserved or the right/wrong call. in a way, it almost gives it more legitimacy since it follows the same script as every other concacaf club competition. the mexican club getting a crucial ref decision late is inevitable. you can't run from it; you can't prevent it; and almost always, you can't overcome it.

12. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chicago Fire can't seem to figure out who they are, where they want to play, or who their coach should be. So they changed the most important thing firing their coach and designing a new logo and crest on their kit. Nice move. They ought to rename their club Dumpster Fire.

13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To be fair, they really do need to get that crest/logo sorted out. I'm pretty sure this season is a wash at this point for them, so who knows what order they need to do things in.

I've heard a lot of Bob Bradley to Chicago rumors. If those have any water and indicate the direction the club is going, then perhaps they have to wait for the season to end before they can really make a coaching hire. I mean, LAFC hasn't fired him or anything. He's still under contract.

That said, they've been consistently poor for far longer than makes sense in a balanced league like this. I mean, New England is a clear frontrunner for the Supporter's Shield this year... Saw that Chicago had missed the playoffs in 10 of the last 12 seasons. That's definitely indicative of deep rot, but didn't they change up a lot of ownership and front office recently? Or at least recently in the context of a mid-pandemic world?

I think they'll figure it out sometime, but I do still see them like Dallas: no matter how good they get, how attractive of soccer they play, or what silverware they earn... fan support may continue to be tepid.

14. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think, back in the day, we looked at Chicago as our rival club. Now we just look at them with pity.

15. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago never saw KC as a rival. Their rivalry is with Cbus. Maybe some day we'll have a rivalry with STL, but for now, all we have are memories of the Espinoza/Beckerman knife fights.

All that said, yes that club is a total dumpster fire.

kcfooty and BenDover repped this.
  16. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4066 BenDover, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    It looks like the West will get a bit tougher with Nashville sliding over in the realignment of clubs due to Charlotte being added to the East.

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought stl was starting up in '22. i didn't even know about charlotte. weird.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were originally, but they and Charlotte both delayed a year (COVID) so now St. Louis is 23 while Charlotte is coming in next year.

19. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley is out at LAFC. Now, 8 coaching vacancies in MLS. I wonder if Zavagnin will ever leave SKC and try his hand at coaching his own team.

20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Didn't we already know Bradley was changing teams this offseason? I thought Chicago as his expected destination.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were rumors, but nothing specific. And it's not Chicago, he's headed to Toronto by all reports.

22. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone in the East beats NE in the playoffs, the West winner will host MLS Cup, provided its not RSL that wins the West. Things to hope for.

23. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what was the rationale for having seattle-rsl tonight instead of last weekend? don't tell me tv issues, because it's not like we were even on english-language tv. the winner is clearly at a disadvantage at having to play again this weekend when we've had a full week. doesn't make any sense.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because that's when FS1 set aside time in their TV schedule to show the games and since they have the rights to a certain number of playoff games, 2 games got put on tonight.
    It also doesn't make sense for Portland to play Sunday and then Thursday against Colorado, but again, Fox has set aside a time slot on Thanksgiving for a game.

25. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It’s 0-0 and RSL are a disgrace. Rooting for them, but they’re a total joke tonight.