MLS needs San Francisco Club

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by SFEarthquakes, Dec 10, 2007.

1. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ditto ! :(

2. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I don't see a MLS team for SF in a very near future, but I could settle for a D2 type of a team (like the Seals ;) ) then I can support both team without the worry of one day become the rivals of each other.

3. Domination7

Domination7 New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

And to add on to that I like to drink at sporting events. So getting home would be an adventure. Which is why they should play somwhere close to a BART station to accomodate me and others like me. :D

And the stadium they play in now is horrid. :(

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I doubt anyone would care to support a D2 team...the California Victory played in SF in D2 and were a joke which lasted 6 months only I believe....

5. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The California Victory is a proof that SF need a soccer team in town, without almost any promotion, it manage to have a growing fan base, not to mention that
    in less than 6 month already has a SG (the 1906 that later become part of the 1906 Ultras). I don't see that happening to the Gold Pride , that after 2 seasons, they cannot manage to have even a SG.

The failure of the Victory was because of the ownership, not beacuse lack of support or even product on the field.

I really wish the Seals will come back as USL team, I can almost assure you that (with the proper marketing dpt)even playing at Kezar they will draw at least 5-8K people in attendance. and they will have a SG by the end of their first season.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really don't see a future in the women's league. I just don't see much support for ir even though they have the world's top players....I think they've lost 2 franchises in the last 6-10 months. Not really a great way to start a league....

7. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed to this :(

But what a bout a D2 men's soccer team for SF ?

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seriously, I'd love a D2 or D1 MLS team in SF but who ,when and where will it be? I have not ever heard , read or seen anything on the MLS, USL or New NASL front at all about starting a D2 or D1 team anywhere in SF......It seems there is no one in line to even start such a venture and I don't see anyone on the horizon especially in this economy. I don't know what Lew Wolff has had in mind lately as I really haven't heard or read from him in terms of soccer or starting to build a stadium since last September. Back then his whole thing was finding a sponsor but so far, there is no more news on that front. Not sure what the big secret is but to me anyway, silence is golden. I don't believe it will happen anytime soon. We are almost 1 year removed from the last time he spoke about a stadium.......still as silent as he has been, he is the only one who has put forth somewhat of an effort about a team and building an SSS. Not sure if he has SF in mind but at this point wherever it is built, I'm sure fans will get behind it as long as its in the Bay Area .......

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So typical. SF folks are continually butthurt over the fact that the South Bay is now the economic engine of Norcal and SF is now relegated to a secondary role as a playground for Eurotrash and gay tourists.

How San Franciscans view the Bay Area

athletics68 repped this.
  10. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well that's not very nice, even if the map is true...

11. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    You have some unrelated stuff that could lead to SF having a team but I think it is highly unlikely within the next 15 years:

(1) 49ers most likely moving to San Jose
    (2) Hunter's Point development no longer having 49ers stadium
    (3) Warriors/MLS team possibly replacing 49ers stadium with arena/stadium
    (4) Will Chang (owner of DC United) selling/moving that team
    (5) Concert venue in SF would be very popular

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brand new to THIS conversation, but not this thought process.

There are many peculiar happenings with the San Jose EARTHQUAKES that point towards the eventual creation of another Bay Area team, such as:

1) Why not change the name to be more inclusive?
    2) Why not market them better, period, but also better to ALL of the Bay Area?
    3) Why not seek out better venue(s)?
    4) Obviously Lew Wolff and the AIG are no idiots, but with their resources, why aren't they doing more, whether tie-ins with their other teams and efforts, or otherwise?

I'm sure that is the tip of the iceberg, but things either don't add up or add up for the eventual inclusion of another Bay Area team. The San Francisco CLASH, perhaps??

Until it is etched in an iron-clad contract and construction of a permanent stadium is significantly underway, I also would say don't necessarily count the Earthquakes out of moving north,....to East Bay.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kezar is an obvious 1st choice and probably not a bad one, UNTIL you start considering the traffic patterns.

Something on or much nearer the Bay, and rapid transit, would draw better, I think. Until then though, Kezar would not be bad at all.

14. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    maybe with an LA USL pro team someone will form a San Fran usl pro team

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They tried both the California Victory and the SF Seals in the USL but neither never really worked. I think the Seals are now in the PDL if I'm not mistaken but the Victory and Dimitry Pitterman lasted one year and that was it.

16. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Victory were never funded properly and the Seals have always operated on a small budget. I will stand by what I have always said and that is a properly run franchise at any level in San Francisco would do great. I just hope it happens someday.

17. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll love to have the Seals back in the USL !

18. Free ch. Architecture

Jul 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Hi ! I'm french, from Paris, fan of soccer and USA ! I study architecture, i Will pass my final graduate and i think to project a soccer stadium for mls franchise in san Francisco . I would like to Know if you think it's still a good idea, if the solution it's to create a new franchise or move on the san jose franchise ? And finally if you think about a good place ni the city ?? Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for my english . Peace !

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    check out this thread......
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/san-francisco-expansion-team.1579537/page-15