MLS needs a Real M. - M.U. - Inter kind off dominant team

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Mstars96, Jun 28, 2004.

1. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas Cowboys
    Chicago Bulls
    Montreal Canadiens

2. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    The problem with getting "internationally recognized" is that rarely does the MLS have it's best teams play against the rest of the world. Instead, they always send out the "popular" teams.

This is being fixed because now they are starting to send teams based on merit instead. For example, Columbus will actually get to play in the Champions League next season, even though they didn't get to after having the best record in the league in 2004. Instead, they trott out Los Angeles and New England, even though those teams are not even close to the best.

For example:

2006 Supporters Shield Runner Up, Dallas, didn't play in the Champions Cup.
    2005 Supporters Shield Winner, San Jose, didn't play in the Champions Cup.
    2004 Supporters Shield Winner, Columbus, didn't play in the Champions Cup.

No wonder we struggle...

3. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFAIK, the SS runner-up never got a spot in the CCC. Also, San Jose closed up shop after 05 and moved to Houston for the following season. So those aren't very good examples.
    Edit: Also in '04 I think the Cup runner up got the spot instead of the SS winner.

4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    But the point was that your already using this $$ to overpay older over-the-hill former Star players like "Ljungberg"... I'm sure it's possible to spend this $$ much better on several players who will be able to actually make the squads better.... One "Ljungberg" in each team is not going to make the training sessions and games more intense.... MLS is only trying to get older "names" from Europe to make the league seem more interesting, but it's not actually making the league better and I doubt that it will create more fans, since ppl dont know players like "Ljungberg" if they dont know all that much about soccer in the first place....

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I dont think you really want (or are used to) this kind of "dominance" in American sports, just like these franchises dont want a relegation/promotion system, because it hurts the (Show-) business... They dont want real losers, because it sells more tickets when the teams are about equally strong (or perhaps I should say equally weak, because that doesnt really matter and is not the point of these franchises, it mainly has to be entertaining and sell tickets)...

To be honest, then I think most Europeans see most American Sports as entertainment and a big show, more than actual competitive Sports... It's like watching Wrestling, it may have it's Stars, be quite entertaining and sell lots of tickets, but you know it's not actually for real... It can only be "World class" in an American context...

6. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Lakers, Celtics, Yankees, Cowboys, Niners, Red Sox (recently),... Canadiens I guess too.

7. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I'm glad you brought this up because I would appreciate your views on this. I've spent some time this season trying to educate myself more about the Danish Superliga, and I'm impressed -- impressed enough to re-think some preconceptions on my part. I was generally familiar with F.C. Copenhagen and Brøndby, but I had only vague notions of teams that seem very adept at attracting MLS type players -- OB, AaB, FC Midtjylland, and AGF. For those that don't know them, we are talking about teams that draw between 7,500 and 10,000 on average, so it's not like they overwhelm MLS in paid attendance. The difference, however, seems to be twofold: they do develop their own better and they do attract younger talent from places MLS isn't looking much -- Africa and guys overlooked in the Big Four or smaller Europ leagues.

Again, I'm not an expert by any means as you are, but the atmosphere in the stadiums looks to be very good (because most of the stadiums are attractive and are sized for these crowds with the stands close to the touchline) and the style of play is (to me) an nice combination of speed and power at a somewhat higher technical level than MLS. I think it would sell here. And yes, they seem to pay more.

The next time an MLS player signs for one of these Danish teams, I'm sure we will see posts protesting losing players to an "inferior" level Euro League, but we need to look harder. There are some very well run clubs there, and they are smart enough to identify, sign and develop players and provide a very good product.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only have a system with a team dominating for decades when there are other factors involved to keep people loyal and willing to shell out $$ to the other teams. Civic pride is a big one - and one that is much reduced in the US vs Europe; we are simply a more mobile people. Plus, the US sports fans who already have that degree of fanaticism have an outlet: college football and basketball. Europeans have little experience with US college sports. For all US sports, except soccer, college teams have far more rabid followers here than professional teams. Even high school sports have more passionate fans.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Correct! I mean this thread is all about comparing apples with oranges, innit? A significant reason why La Liga, EPL, Serie "A", etc. are interesting to follow is because of the races for prestigious Champions League spots and to avoid relegation. MLS doesn't have either of that. That's not MLS' fault, but it is what it is.

So quite simply MLS needs parity.

Also, the premise of this debate is flawed. If MLS loses its parity it will resemble the Croat league or Scottish league, not La Liga or the EPL. So the thread title should be changed to "MLS needs a Hadjuk Split or Celtic Glasgow kind of domination", right?

10. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    No, my point was that any criteria anyone would use - probably other than the Yankees from 1920-1966 - is criteria that both DC United and San Jose/Houston meet, as well as the Galaxy and New England in the "close, but not quite" category.

Hence, MLS has those kind of dominant teams and the premise behind this thread is spurious.

11. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    See proceeding post - both DC United and San Jose/Houston meet the criteria established by those teams in terms of % of championships won in a given time frame and overall dominance in the league. As well as the ability to clinically undress opponents in playoffs, when it mattered.

DC and Houston have won what, 61% of the total MLS Cups awarded by the league? Can you find better dominance in any US League now?

A case can also be made that the Galaxy and Revolution, through their participation in numerous conference finals and MLS Cups, are also "dominant teams", but teams that more frequently than not failed to get over the hump.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The premise behind this thread and "US league" dominance are two different things. No group of 2-4 teams in any US league dominates as much as the top teams in EPL, La Liga or Serie "A" dominate.

(also that 61% is a bit misleading because no other US league has only 10-14 teams and a 12 year history)

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, the race in MLS isn't necesairly for the Supporter Shield, but for the MLS Cup.

So, if we have 2 or 3 "dominant" teams, yes, they would probably win the Supporters Shield every year. But the main competition is for the Cup which would make the playoffs the great equalizer. Tehre would still be a vaery competitive race just to get into the playoffs, and then the chance to beat one of the dominant teams in one or two games (making it much more feasible) or in the Cup itself makes it different from the SPL or EPL or any of the other European leagues where dominant teams predominate.

14. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thought, i did a forum on here about EPL teams playing a NA type format, and I think the ManU and chelseas couldnt handle trying a win a championship through the Playoffs cause they dont build their teams to play harder in Big games and in late in the season.... the Arsenals and Spurs and evn the new castles I think can win Championships.

15. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thought, i did a forum on here about EPL teams playing a NA type format, and I think the ManU and chelseas couldnt handle trying a win a championship through the Playoffs cause they dont build their teams to play harder in Big games and in late in the season.... the Arsenals and Spurs and evn the new castles I think can win Championships.

16. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    We can't pay more that 400k a year for a player. Now tell me, what young player 20-25 will leave a European league for that amount of money. There would be American players almost as good, but we're able to pay them 85k.
    You'd be better off spending that money in South America...........which MLS teams are!
    I don't think MLS is trying to get older over the hill players.....but those are the only ones that are willing to play here. It's not because they're ignoring the younger players, it's just that younger players see MLS as a stepdown and it is! So it's not cost effective to lure them here, not when theres cheaper and just as good options. Africa and Latin American....mostly.

17. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Title of this thread states: MLS needs a Real M. - M.U. - Inter kind off dominant team

You are saying that the league needs this to be successful and to get to the next level.

That is a pretty strong statement with nothing substantial to prove that this is a viable solution.

I do not agree wth your line of thinkng. I am always leary when someone on BS comes and makes general statements.

I think if one is going to post a topic like this the correct way to approach the topic is in the form of a question such as:

Will having a dominiate team like Man U or Real Madrid help the league move forward?

If you have an opinion and think that having a dominate team will help solve problems and help the league move forward then provide historical proof and actual data to show that why.

There is a lot of historical data and proof that the theory of having a super club is a flawed strategy.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way... no respect for the Isles?

[​IMG]

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    ''The next time an MLS player signs for one of these Danish teams, I'm sure we will see posts protesting losing players to an "inferior" level Euro League, but we need to look harder. There are some very well run clubs there, and they are smart enough to identify, sign and develop players and provide a very good product''

Totally correct, the goal right now is surviving

Allthough it looks very stupid that guys like Califf, Brown, Nguyen, Feilhaber, Pearce, Simek, Zimmerman, etc.. prefer to play in second or third level european teams instead of MLS

20. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a career. If MLS paid the same money, they'd probably stay.

21. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    But you have to remember that Ljungberg is a designated player which means most of his salary doesn't apply to the cap. Your choice is $2,000,000 on Ljungberg (or whatever he's getting paid) or $400,000 on other players. And $400K doesn't buy you much anymore, at least in the European leagues.