MLS Match #18, 7/2/2005: Chicago Fire @ Chivas USA [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by NotAbbott, Jun 30, 2005.

1. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Chicago Fire: 9W, 6L, 2T, 29PTS, 2nd in the East (3rd overall)
    Chivas USA: 1W, 12L, 3T, 6PTS, 6th in the West (12th overall)

Saturday, July 2nd @ Home Depot Center, 9:00 PM CT
    TV: Comcast Sports Net

And we roll on.

I've heard unofficial injury news, but I'll wait for the press release.

Without Ryan Suarez to kick around anymore, who are we going to abuse on the Goats' backline?

Later,
    COZ

2. ciuperci

ciuperci New Member

May 10, 2004
    Just as I was nervous last time we played the goats, I'm nervous again. These guys are desperate to win and our players are going to be tired. With that said, if the Fire don't underestimate them, we should roll over them again.

Fire 4:1 Chivas with Jaqua getting another 3 :D

3. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I unfortunately won't be able to see the boys play live, because I'll be in Vegas.

4. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the fact that the Fire's theme this year seems to be "Winning Ugly" (which sure beats last year's "Losing Ugly"), we also seem to be able to usually lay the smack down on the really bad teams. Therefore, I predict a 3-0 thrashing. Nate scores but Marsch and Curtin get the other Fire goals.

5. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    We should be able to beat these guys with our little Ditka tied behind our back. Yes, 4:1 good guys.

6. Red Hot

Red Hot Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Arizona
    According to MLSnet:

OUT: FW Nate Jaqua (L ankle bone bruise); MF Thiago (L knee meniscus tear); MD Craig Capano (L torn ACL); GK Matt Pickens (R groin strain); MF John Thorrington (L hamstring strain)

7. Unstoppable Fire 13

Unstoppable Fire 13 New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago

Yeah, WTF is this shlt.

8. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I knew about Thiago, but Nate too?

9. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    We'll know for sure when the Fire's own press release comes out, but I think I heard that Nate's out for a week, and Thiago for 4-6. With the exception of the New England game next week, the injuries probably couldn't have come at a better time -- offseason notwithstanding -- as we tour the C's of MLS: Chivas (6 pts.), Colorado (14) and Columbus (14), then the All-Star break.

I've criticized this idea before, but against Chivas, I'd be okay with trying Rolfie at attacking mid.

Later,
    COZ

10. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    And, keep in mind that New England won't be at full strength come July 9th.

I'd love to see Rolfe get the first crack at the a-mid fill in spot, and I guess Mapp is my next choice for this role. That's why a 4-2-2-2 formation might again be the trick for tomorrow, as I posted in my the Kent McDill lineup thread:

Thornton

Pause - Brown - Curtin - Segares

Marsch - Guerrero

Mapp - Rolfe

Herron - Reiter

If not this formation, then a 4-4-2 "diamond midfield", with Marsch as the d-mid and Mapp/Guerrero on the outsides, and Rolfe as the a-mid.

The more I think about it, the more I like the 4-2-2-2.

11. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I don't know why you would be criticized for that. Rolfe is the natural selection for stepping in at that spot. He is tenacious and creative. He's got good foot skills and sees the field very well. He will be fine. I'm hoping we see Barrett up front since Nate is out and Rolfe should be in the mid. Barrett and Reiter would work for me. I think Dave will probably start Herron and Reiter though. If that's the case, I'd say the tandem better score some goals against the weak Chivas team. They both have a lot to prove.

12. upupnaway20

upupnaway20 New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ezra Hendrickson?? Or.....not.

13. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ezra is very easy to nutmeg. ;)

14. upupnaway20

upupnaway20 New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Awesome! I expect Rolfe to score at least a hat trick against him then!!

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    This is the perfect game for Reiter to make an impact. Oh, and Ezra has probably been their best player so far.

16. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Kind of ironic for a team that tried their best to stay true to their Mexican roots.

17. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then, I have to change my prediction to Fire 3 - 0 Chivas with our goals from Guerrero, Marsch (PK), and Curtin.

18. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I was saying I've been critical of it, because I tend to cringe at the idea of playing a rookie in a key position that they've never ever played before at this level. It's the epitome of BS armchair managing being wholly removed from actual coaching to me. Against Chivas, though, I have less of a problem with it.

Later,
    COZ

19. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Against Chivas, I'd be comfortable starting Mihalovic at keeper and giving him a deck chair to lay in and some coffee to keep him awake during the game.

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I agree with your point, Coz. And as long as people don't expect for Rolfe to come in and play a flawless game in this role, then I think it will be a good thing to see him in the a-mid role.

21. emprof

emprof New Member

May 27, 2005
    Chicago
    It is a leap of faith to believe we can lie down and win this game. Moreover, it is disappointing to lose Thiago after his brilliant game against DC. Yes, Rolfe belongs on the field, but I think too many people are ignoring that his ball-handling skills in the last game were not up to par and that he was dragging by the time he was taken out for a subtitute. I'd rather see Rolfe play forward than midfielder, and I'd like to see Herron play alongside him. Reiter can come in as a sub. Buete played well enough in the last game to be given another opportunity. (My suggested players: Thornton, CJ, Curtin, Gonzo, Pause, Mapp, Marsch, Buete, Guererro, Rolfe, and Herron)

22. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    WRT Rolfe's playing time, what would be wrong with Rolfe for 60-65 minutes, and then Buete after that? In theory, the Fire should be leading at that point...

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Underestimating anyone, even Chivas, is a bad idea. Put four in the back of the net, then talk about relaxing.

24. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I totally agree, granted I rather face Chivas then say ... New England, but I don't want to underestimate anyone especailly with some of the key starters we will be missing tonight. With that said, 3-1 to the Fire (Rolfe, Jesse, and Andy to get his name back on the scoring chart).

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rolfe not starting. Buete is.