MLS Kirovski's ?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by MLSNHTOWN, Aug 16, 2002.

1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    It has been said that when Jovan has looked good he has played in a particular system that suits him well. A system that doesn't suit him is the one that Bruce Arena uses. (Let's not argue Jovan in this thread)

So my question is this. Are there any people in the pool or that have the potential to be in the pool that are more a result of their system and how they fit into it? As a result, are there any players you are confident based on this that the player will not fit well into the Bruce Arena system of play which we all know by now is a 4-4-2 unless its a tournament wherein he reserves the right to change everything based on the team that he is playing and the best way to attack that team.

2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think systems of play may have figured into some of the defensive choices more than anything. Most of the young guys coming up on defense seem more suited to central roles but the team needed outside backs. So, we ended up not getting to see much of guys like Bocanegra, who may have been given mre of a chance if we were primarily going 352 without as much need for attacking backs.

3. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    " unless its a tournament wherein he reserves the right to change everything based on the team that he is playing and the best way to attack that team. [/B][/QUOTE]"

That have a name: WC FREAK FACTOR" Bruce is not going to admit it, USSF is not going to admit it, but gentlemen Bruce Arena FREAK OUT on WORLD CUP KOREA 2002, Going from the confort of Clint Mathis and Cobi Jones to the Rage and unpredictability of LANDON DONOVAN and DAMARCUS BEASLEY well Bruce bet his ass, and won, the rest is history.

Now about Jovan Kirovsky, I think all that time on that bench have hurt him real bad, He need to come home and play with the boys.

4. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: MLS Kirovski's ?

You must not read the YA forum...Jovan started regularly for Crystal Palace for much of last season, and he will be a regular starter for Premiereship side Birmingham City...obviously he has done well enough as a pro to merit a starters role in the English top flight.

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I'm trying to imagine a Bruce Arena FREAK, but I'm struggling.

6. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He sort of squats a little, does that grimace/smile thing, and half-pumps both of his fists. That's the Bruce Freak.

7. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: MLS Kirovski's ?

you sure he will be a regular starter at birmingham? i hope he gets alot of time, but i wouldn't bet on it. the premier league is certainly a different animal than div 1.

8. Achilles

Achilles New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Arizona
    We'll find out on Sunday Morning, won't we? :)

9. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    What I find very funny is the post talking about the comfort of Clint Mathis. Clint and Josh Wolff were really the trailblazers of younger players making their mark on the team. They were the first of the young generation who were really allowed to shine. They got the chance because of injuries to McBride and Reyna in the Mexico qualifier. Now saying that he bet his ass with Landon and DMB is in many ways a joke. I thought those guys had proven themselves in friendlies, just as Mathis had done more so in the qualifiers where he really caught fire. One of the main reasons we qualified was because of Mathis play in the first 4 games of qualification. His injury really caused a downspiral, which resulted in the strenuous last few games.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I thought brushing sand was freaky enough...

11. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: Re: MLS Kirovski's ?

{B][quoite]That have a name: WC FREAK FACTOR" Bruce is not going to admit it, USSF is not going to admit it, but gentlemen Bruce Arena FREAK OUT on WORLD CUP KOREA 2002, Going from the confort of Clint Mathis and Cobi Jones to the Rage and unpredictability of LANDON DONOVAN and DAMARCUS BEASLEY well Bruce bet his ass, and won, the rest is history.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

thats a little thing called 'coaching' and 'game plan'

however, i was thinkign this thrad was goign to be about MLS players who could achieve Kirvoski's status in europe/england with or with out the same effect.

12. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    erm Whip, english wasnt your first language was it?

13. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i am wondering if we can send that backwards through babelfish, twice to get what he originally wrote

that is all i can think of at this present time... he wrote it, sent it through babel fish twice and got that

14. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    soccer is a fluid game and if you can't adopt to a new system or situation than it seems to me that you are not that good of a player. That is Kirovski's problem, he is too one-dimensional. Look at Landon and Clint. LD can play 3 positions and Clint can play 2.

15. mattgabe

mattgabe Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Blacksburg, VA
    Kirovski has played, in the last 2-3 years, no less than 3 positions at least reasonably well -- striker, a-mid, right mid/ wing. He has a tendency to disappear at times and has lost confidence in front of goal. Playing regularly will help him, as it did with Palace last season before the idiot took over.

16. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Bocanegra got hurt.

17. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Mark Chung has talents that don't fit into Bruce's system--not enough two-way running and defense, though I'm sure a Rapids fan will refute this.

Greg Vanney is the real example of a guy who flirted with the team, but never really gave Bruce what he was looking for. Bruce wanted speed on the flanks, and though Greg had other attributes (free kicks, size, decent touch), he didn't have the windshield-wiper up and down effect Bruce was looking for. Still, he almost made it by default until he got hurt in the Jamaica match.

Cherundolo didn't seem to have enough grit for Bruce, and had a hard time thinking outside of the rigid system he plays in at Hannover (on display two weeks ago on FSW). Not too comfortable going forward. Note he did OK in the game at Honduras, where he stuck to the line and to defending, but poorly in the Honduras game in RFK.