MLS is leaving Gazza decision up to DCU.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ToolFan, Aug 1, 2002.

1. ToolFan

ToolFan New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    NJ
    As reported this morning on Soccer365.com MLS in a break with tradition has allowed your club to make the final decision on a personel choice. This may be the begining of the end of SEM.

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As stated in the Post, this is an evolution of the league's policy to give teams more freedom in choosing who they sign within the framework of SEM. And it's really nothing new - this is just the most publicized. I would say the Rapids' acquisition of the no-kneed Nigerian (Amokochi?) is another example.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23780-2002Jul30.html

Under its single-entity business structure, MLS owns and primarily negotiates all player contracts, and in the past the league has been criticized for playing a heavy-handed role in deciding whether a player identified by a specific MLS team would be acquired.

But MLS is beginning to give more autonomy to teams, and it apparently will not interfere in the Gascoigne situation, despite concerns from league officials about the player's history of misconduct on and off the field.

Hudson's statement that it is United's decision "sounds consistent with the teams' collective wishes for holding responsibility and accountability for their competition-related and player personnel decisions," MLS spokesman Trey Fitz-Gerald said. "It's part of our evolution as a league."

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only difference I see here is if this involves letting DC obtain Gascoigne without needing a Discovery pick. Otherwise, as Monster points out, MLS has let coaches sign the players they want for a while now.

4. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    I would say that this could be the beginningo f the end of DC United, but we seemd to have reached the end after the 1999 season already.

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I wonder when we will know what the decision is?

6. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.