MLS Is Back Tournament Draw

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Jun 11, 2020.

1. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressive!

2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree that sloppy play wasn’t as big of an issue as I expected. What is an issue is that MLS is in a drought for attracting exciting players. We are becoming a league of competence, with few difference makers. The days of out and out attackers like Keane, Henri, Giovinco, Donovan, Dempsey seem to be gone. Now the league has Vela, Martinez, Pavon, Hernandez, Heber?? A couple of poachers and some pretty good midfielders. But none of these are out and out attacking players like the aforementioned.
    I dont know if this dropoff is just a random occurrence or has become systemic for some reason. Whatever the reason - it makes for less exciting games.

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #153 TrickHog, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    That 19-year old for Philly, Aaronson, looks like he has potential and was pretty dynamic on the ball. Could develop into something really good.

skydog repped this.
  4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he needs to be more forward-thinking but playing at the top of a diamond probably isn’t helping my perception. It seems like he frequently gets the ball and the only two options in front of him are two stationary strikers who are both surrounded by at least two defenders.

Still though, I’d like to see him make the final pass or finish more. He’s definitely fun to watch and has good potential

TrickHog repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    To be honest since I didn't really know many of the players so I only half-ass watched the Philly-NY game. I did notice Aaronson but wasn't paying close enough attention to really appreciate him. I just want to see players who are good enough and play confident enough to get me excited every time they get the ball anywhere near the goal.

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  6. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Maybe it is a side effect of the league's fast expansion. Growing pains in this rather young 3.0 version of MLS. It could just be a cycle we are working through Skydog.

Ok, most exciting match for me so far was Seattle v SJ. It looks like Matias has used this break and time to regroup because San Jose looks more like they did last year than at the beginning of this season. They played very well and ran around the Sounders like they weren't the MLS defending champions. Bad last passes, first touches, shots on goal and great keeper interventions kept SJ from winning. Sounders had their chances but mostly on counters and their finishing also sucked. Cramps Galore , made an appearance.

Always enjoy when Seattle struggles. :)

The Cadaver and natfaninla repped this.
  7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    NYRB playing pretty well and pull ahead with sweet finish against ATL. ATL defense very suspect but their midfield/forwards are pushing the action at end of 1st half.
    Royer for NY is awesome - very confident and skilled player.

El Futbolisimo repped this.
  8. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Funny match Ny/ATL. ATL controlled much of the match but no finishing. Nobody is stepping up to slip on in to Josef's shoes. If they can figure that out, ATL will be dangerous. But they need to find that someone. Bulls came out the gate at a gallop and that early score was enough due again mostly to ATL's lack of finishing and a fantastic save late in overtime by their new keeper Jensen. Absolutely clutch save.

Keepers so far have been a big factor in this tournament. Here's sending positive waves to Bingham. ;) :x3:

skydog repped this.
  9. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised at how effective the phony crowd noise was. A whole different vibe from the ESPN telecasts. There were times I found myself forgetting there was no crowd.

Geneva, skydog and El Futbolisimo repped this.
  10. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    First can of whoopass has been oficially opened by Columbus Crew under Caleb to the detriment of and poor unfortunate Cincy team under Stam. I wonder if Jaap is going to go apeshit after the game and start throttling his guys. That team was awful.

Zardes with a brace! Gotta love that.

Less than 48 and we're on!!!

TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  11. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the Zardes haters on the Nats board must be going postal

12. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    "Major League Soccer announced that today’s D.C. United vs. Toronto FC match has been postponed and will be rescheduled. MLS will announce details later today for the rescheduled match... clubs are tested the day before each match. The results of yesterday’s tests for D.C. United and Toronto FC produced an initial unconfirmed positive COVID-19 case for one player and an inconclusive test for another player."

I don't know if the KC v Loons later today will also get postponed due to the one player that tested positive.

Had an early call today and those are always sketchy. One more of my extended family fighting covid lost her fight with the damned thing. Be careful out there.

13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't had the opportunity to watch these games yet, trying to do so. @El Futbolisimo, so sorry for your loss.

TrickHog repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sorry to hear about your relative. Making it doubly sad is it didn’t have to happen. The rapidity of spread and the amount of death we are seeing in our country is the direct result of massively incompetent leadership in our battle against this pandemic. And that’s not a political statement- its a factual one.

15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Fingers crossed.

16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    hav77 repped this.
  17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So looks like KC game not on my ESPN schedule, only on ESPN Deportes, which I don’t get. I don’t think I can pay DirectTV any more than I already do. Guess I’ll be missing game unless someone knows of a stream?

18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s on ESPN for me.

19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thx Trick - your comment got me to recheck. I was looking at DTV channel ESNHD instead of ESPNHD. User error, per usual.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And KS shoots itself in foot. Actually blows its entirely off.

TrickHog and MPNumber9 repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    SKC winning 1-0 in stoppage and manages to lose. :eek:

TrickHog and MPNumber9 repped this.
  22. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Hell’s bells I just saw the locker room for RSL, it’s like a broom closet. Coincidentally saw Spurs changing room today, which TBF is the repurposed NFL locker room. It might not be the reason for so many positive tests in MLS compared to the EPL, BL, et. al., but just from an optics POV it’s not a good look.

TrickHog repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    MLS probably doesn’t have a choice on the size of their locker room. But yeah, it was pretty tight quarters.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC: We suck.

TFC: Hold my beer.

skydog, Beakmon FC and The Cadaver repped this.
  25. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9' - LAFC 0-1 HOU

:)