MLS Is Back Tournament Draw

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Jun 11, 2020.

1. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep that cross only works for freaks of nature like Zlatlan. 6 foot plus tall with crazy hops. Javier has super powers but he is a little less superhuman. So we are going to need to be more precise with crosses and service in general.

El Futbolisimo repped this.
  2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I just watched the highlights, so based on that limited info, a couple impressions.
    Pavons brilliant strike on the first goal would not have happened if not for the incredible hustle and skill of 18yo Adam Saldana who torched Traore. The fact he even went for the ball (Traore was 5 yards away, Saldana was 15 yards away) shows competitiveness and hustle that too many on this team lack.

Speaking of lack - my first sighting of Kitchen in the video was him flat-footed and lazily reaching for a ball and getting beaten easily.

Chichirito is fragile.

I like Wild's activity level and his athleticism. However his touch and moves still have a college/USL level feel and need to improve to play at the top level. Hope he learns to adapt.

We have a lot of terrible finishers.

Despite all of this - was fun to watch. And Pavon is special.

3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I just watched the highlights, so based on that limited info, a couple impressions.
    Pavons brilliant strike on the first goal would not have happened if not for the incredible hustle and skill of 18yo Adam Saldana who torched Traore. The fact he even went for the ball (Traore was 5 yards away, Saldana was 15 yards away) shows competitiveness and hustle that too many on this team lack.

Speaking of lack - my first sighting of Kitchen in the video was him flat-footed and lazily reaching for a ball and getting beaten easily.

Chichirito is fragile.

I like Wild's activity level and his athleticism. However his touch and moves still have a college/USL level feel and need to improve to play at the top level. Hope he learns to adapt.

We have a lot of terrible finishers.

Despite all of this - was fun to watch. And Pavon is special.

El Futbolisimo and Geneva repped this.
  4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like blue was playing a 4-4-2 with Chicharito and Zubak up top. Even though that we lost our 6’5” striker, we are still just dumping hopeful cross after hopeful cross into the box and praying it falls to one of our players. Maybe it’ll be different when it’s Pavon and (insert RM here) playing, but most of the other wide mids and fullbacks in this game were just lofting them up there.

A couple personal observations:
    Pretty much all of the vets spent the entire game telling the kids what to do. It kind of looked more like a coaching session for them.

Chicharito looks like he’s put on a few pounds. He didn’t really find the game but didn’t have a whole lot to work with.

Efra didn’t do anything special but he’s noticeably in better shape and might even be quicker. At times, he was more active, defended better, and had better off-ball movement. He still looks like he has to think about it though.

I’ve never been impressed with Zubak, but I thought he looked decent in this game.

Araujo was brutal at the start and should have cost blue a goal on a lazy attempt at a clearance. He got better as the game went on. Feltscher had a miscommunication with Vom Steeg that also could’ve been a goal.

Johnny Perez and Dunbar are raw and have to improve. They’re both small and need to get used to the physical play. But the more I watch them the more I believe they will have an impact in the future.

I don’t believe in Traore even a little bit.

Our defense is still horrible.

5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sorry about the double post above. OTOH not a whole lot going on these days so maybe double posting is a feature rather than a bug?

mbar, Vindo310, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot that Perry Kitchen played for us, and that he will likely start.

Now I'm sad.

ShortyMac, TrickHog, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  7. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s terrible

JPAR and TrickHog repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #108 Skevin, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Alright for everyone not keeping track:

Nashville FC has had 5 players test positive for Covid since arriving in Orlando. They are set to play on Wednesday.

Toronto FC was flying to Orlando yesterday when their flight had to be re-routed back to Toronto when one of the staff started showing covid symptoms. Toronto currently do not have a date on when they attempt to fly back.

Minnesota UTD had a player test positive while in orlando.
    Their match has been delayed.

Columbus had a player test positive. It's still unknown who it was, but it was someone with the team in Orlando and the team hasn't trained since.

FC Dallas had 10 players and staff test positive for covid and are currently quarantined in Frisco. Their first match has been cancelled.

Montreal had to pull the team off the field during training because a player supposedly was positive for Covid. The team hasn't left their hotel since.

Colorado Rapids have postponed today’s flight to Orlando. Two members of traveling party, including one player, tested positive for COVID-19 on final round of pre-travel testing. Follow-up testing to occur. Aim is to travel tomorrow.

9. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So these are on ESPN+. I just heard that ESPN+ is being packaged with Disney's new service and something else (Can't remember what) that I am not interested in. Is that package deal the only way to get it?

10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they really on ESPN + ? The games on Wednesday (or game as I think one is going to be rescheduled) are listed on ESPN. Usually the ESPN games aren’t on ESPN +.

TrickHog repped this.
  11. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There must be a broadcast schedule somewhere

TrickHog repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS website shows every game on one of the three national carriers — ESPN, FS1 and Univision

The Beautiful Gamer and The Cadaver repped this.
  13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are precisely the games that don’t, in ordinary times, end up on ESPN +

TrickHog repped this.
  14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    You don’t need to subscribe to the bundle (Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu) ESPN+ on its own is $5 a month.

Edit: found a better link https://plus.espn.com/?ex_cid=DSS-S...VXhitBh0Bqgm7EAAYASAAEgJBNfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

TrickHog repped this.
  15. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to call off that sham tourney.

16. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    So we are literally 2 days off from the tournament. Rumors floating the first two matches set for this wednesday will be called off.

Players don't feel confident with the testing, and are worried about their safety.

We are set to be arriving in Orlando today sometime. Hopefully no one ruins their career over this stupid tournament.

hav77, TrickHog and pirozhok repped this.
  17. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seems Vela is officially out.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vela is out and our guys should be in the air right now on their way.

First games scheduled for Wednesday. FCD v Vancouver already postponed because FCD has to quarantine because players tested positive.

Gonna be interesting to see how this works out.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, none of these games will be on ESPN+ until 24-48 hours later or something like that. This tournament was really made to give our 3 tv partners something to air....

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  20. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sporting KC had someone test positive but then found out it was a false positive. Feel terrible for the player that had to go through that - though thankful it ended up negative.

ShortyMac and TrickHog repped this.
  21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl tweeted that the tests are being discovered upon initial entry rather than inside the bubble. I don't know how he knows this, but he's pointing out it's not to do with Orlando.

I'm not saying it's good/bad, I just didn't know that was the case and thought it was inside the bubble.

It's also not about the tournament - the tournament is trying to make up for the lost season. If they are going to call this off, the whole season should be done along with sports in general for 2020. It's sad that we've come to this versus how Europe has handled it.

Regardless of how I feel about the virus, I will be watching the games to support the players and the effort they are making to be out there for us. Aka, I'll be watching more than the Galaxy. Hope the ratings help the league during this time.

This sucks. I want to support, and I want everyone to be healthy.

22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports coming out that FCD is just gonna withdraw from the tourney.

23. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, didn't see how they were going to continue with the amount of players impacted. A couple of interesting nuggets in the article:

• 13 MLS players tested positive (so far) - this is lower than what Skevin has above, wondering if some were false positives or staff? 10 of those were FCD, 1 Columbus. That's a high percentage from 1 team, which leads me to believe they passed it around before they left.
    • Of the remainder, they were discovered upon entry or within a couple of days like Wahl reports. Which means they are not spreading it within the bubble based on incubation time. Which hopefully supports all of the precautions they are taking. All bets are off if they start to spread within the bubble.
    • That's a percent positive rate of 2.3% overall, though within FC Dallas it's clearly not that.
    I hope all of those players recover and stay healthy. Bummer to the team.

I haven't seen how they are rebalancing the groups if at all.

Lookingforleftbacks, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #125 Berks, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020

Oh boy.

Based on the above, the other two players are probably from Nashville. EDIT: I see the news about the Nashville players, not sure why the numbers are so off.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.