MLS Is Back B*iches Tournament!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Jun 12, 2020.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheWarmBurger repped this.
  3. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

While interesting, I think they are forgetting two things.
    One you mentioned - clear and obvious.

The second? How the heck is someone supposed to jump at full speed and use their leg mid air without their arms moving. Seriously. That’s the basic biomechanics of a jumping motion. Rubio doesn’t have his hands very “outstretched” - especially when compared with the other calls in the video.

It’s a harsh call. And one that would certainly seem that the MLS wants less and less defense to be played moving forward.

Sports Yak repped this.
  4. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second part is not really a factor in the ref's decision. The Law states that you're not supposed to play the ball with your hand or arm. Period. It's not an excuse that "well, I was jumping, so my arm came up."

5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    IFAB Laws of the game regarding handball:

I just can't see how Rubio made his body "unnaturally" bigger in such a "clear and obvious" manner. Maybe I just see that clip differently. If we're penalizing guys who are jumping and have their hands within that close proximity of their chest...then it's clear that the creators of the rules want defenders to play less defense.

I know its a purely subjective take by the refs - but I just can't wrap my head around how one can look at that clip, see Rubio sprinting to close the gap to 5ft away from the attacker, jump, hands within - what 6 - 9 inches of his body? - and say that it was obviously either of a:
    • deliberate attempt to play the ball with his hand
    • deliberate attempt to make his body unnaturally bigger

And that the ball was not hit "direct" from another player who was "close" or that Rubio's body was not "unnaturally bigger." It's just not "obvious" to me.

It's a moot point since it is so far gone in the past. I just can't see it the way the refs do. Maybe I'm a homer, but I just can't see it. Every single person who jumps while running - naturally has some swing to their arms. Try it for yourself. Make a 10-15 ft sprint, jump, and kick your leg out as high as Rubio did, without your arms naturally having some swing.

So my point is - if we're penalizing the swing of the arms for jumping, then the powers that be clearly want less defense to be played. If that VAR intervention, and subsequent interpretation, is on that thin of a margin, then it's pretty clear how they want defenders to not play defense.

The rule itself is vague enough, especially when using words like "unnatural" or "close". The interpretation against Rubio was harsh enough to send a message.

6. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Watching San Jose beat RSL. (Second water break.) RSL isn’t any good, yet they dominated the Rapids.

Really, they have no one to blame but themselves. Awful tournament effort. Sigh.

ogre1976, COMtnGuy, AlbertCamus and 2 others repped this.
  7. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't think they took it seriously at all, and consequently didn't do any kind of real preparation other than some token training. They thought it was gonna be like some meaningless preseason tournament where all the teams showed up just to get a workout, experiment, and shake off a little rust.

To their surprise, the other teams actually showed up to play and looked prepared to complete. After they got totally played off the field in the first game, they realized "Oh crap, we need to actually try." Unfortunately it was too little, too late and the hole had already been dug by that point.

They're the kid that blew-off their homework assignment while the rest of the class actually did the work.

Sal Paradise and Sports Yak repped this.
  8. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Remember the CONCACAF champions league?

Quinn 33 repped this.
  9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #459 Quinn 33, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Or remember the USOC? Or remember basically any MLS season they've been in a "rebuild" and to "trust the process" because they'll "have all the pieces in place for next year"? Or remember when Padraig and Wayne Brant made all those grand promises in 2017/2018 that things were going to fundamentally change at the club and its now 2020 going on 2021 and basically nothing has actually changed?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes, every single year, we never try.

ogre1976 and Sports Yak repped this.
  11. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Well actually every year we say this is the year we will really try -- and then Lucy pulls the football away right when we're ready to kick it.

12. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Enjoyed watching Philadelphia beat KC tonight. Vermes strung together a few F-bombs during the first water break. Did my heart good. Every now and again you need those uplifting moments.

Dom. FC and AlbertCamus repped this.
  13. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't like Vermes. But what I really really don't like is that too many youth coaches act just like him.

Dom. FC and Sports Yak repped this.
  14. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Dom. FC repped this.
  15. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Philadelphia, Portland, Minnesota and Orlando in the semifinals. Talk about a tournament that was wide open for any team in the league...

AlbertCamus and Rod1916 repped this.
  16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bit of the Philly game I saw they were Dominate, looked like a Pro team playing an Academy team.