News: MLS invokes Force Majeure

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by boomshea, Dec 29, 2020.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. It's been like that in the past when many leagues were not fully professional. Like the Bundesliga. When I first started following it in the early 1970s it was technically amateur. Kicker used to give the "professions" of the players in their annual special issue about the league. The odd player would go to Italy. But it was rare until the late 1970s.

Also, there's only so many spots on any team. Even if the "best" players go elsewhere, there's only so many slots for them--you'd have England, Italy and Spain--and that's assuming those leagues stay solvent. Quite a number of teams in those leagues have serious debt. France, as has been noted, is in deep, deep trouble. Most other countries Germany would be competitive with, even with a cap.

2. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
  3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    My guess is that to get to the "1 billion dollars lost" for last year, they are counting the costs of the stadia under construction as those had no revenue last year. In other words, it's a lie. Otherwise, how do you lose a billion when your player wage bill is less than a third of that. What else are they paying double what they pay their players?

Do we know what share of the gate MLS or visiting teams receive? I'd think there would be opposition within ownership to revenue sharing, not just with the players but with other owners. Blank built a large stadium under one set of MLS rules and isn't likely to want to share with the revenue laggards.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 1 billion may be an exaggeration (hard to tell), but it's likely at least a third of that. They are likely also counting academy expenses and second team expenses in that. Perhaps also the new construction of training facilities.

The gate question is an interesting one. There used to be (perhaps still is) a difference between the NL and AL in that the NL visitors got a substantial piece of the gate and the AL did not. It was one of the unspoken reasons why they wanted Marge Schott out back in the day. For all of her faults, she intentionally kept Reds ticket prices low--and that affected the share of the gate other NL teams got.

5. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the number has been out there somewhere, can't seem to find it at the moment. The single entity structure of the league includes ticket revenue sharing. I seem to recall that 70% of ticket revenue goes to the league to cover salaries and MLS expenses. I believe this has been discussed here in the Precourt era as one of the reasons that the league was upset with us for having near league low ticket prices.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do recall in the early days that an Galaxy ticket at their box office was at least twice that of the Crew. $30. For GA. In 1996.

7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [*shudder*]

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #258 Kryptonite, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    I think I was able to buy GA tickets for Ohio Stadium for $5. I think our most expensive were $17 or $20.

I remember a promotion for the second game where if you wore a soccer jersey (it may have been youth soccer teams only), you got in free.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm too f****ng old to remember what a ticket cost in the OSU days.

They always say the memory is the second thing to go.

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are starting to see it happen with League 1 and 2 in England implementing a salary cap. I realize it’s much different than the big leagues but it has to start someplace.

11. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio

Perhaps there is hope

TrueCrew repped this.
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think the owners are right about a longer CBA. While the players may be able to get more in the short term with shorter CBA lengths, the constant labor struggles and uncertainty really hurt the product overall.

Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    How do you figure? The quality of play in MLS has been steadily rising for years.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a fans point of view--the uncertainty is frustrating.

The goal--on both sides--should be to build the sport. This isn't the NFL. Yet. If ever. Most of the other major sports have longer CBAs. Stability is healthy.

15. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think if the owners were so hell bent on a longer CBA cycle it should have come up in Feb 2020 instead of Dec 2020 when they forced negotiations for the 3rd time in 12 months.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one had any idea at the time how long the pandemic would last. Most folks thought it would be a few tough weeks and then it would pass. That didn't happen.

17. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    My preference would still be the players take a 15% pay cut for the season, and reevaluate CBA after the season/pandemic. It kicks the can on down the road a bit, but I'd think it is a resolution that makes sense for everyone.

Yes 15% is big concession on the players part, but as we've already shown, the lack of tickets available to sell more than justifies that.

18. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see the league negotiate instead of just saying no. It'll be interesting what comes out today either way.

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But since the reporting date is what, Feb 20th or something, there's nothing to be frustrated about at the moment.

And as Steven Bank pointed out this morning, a) they have had day long meetings every day this week, meaning they're still talking and b) suddenly the media-release duel has gone stone quiet.

Nobody wants the league shut down. It does nobody any good. I have faith.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant that labor wars are frustrating to the fans if they keep happening due to short CBAs. I think you're right about the current situation.

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been times in the past where MLS seem to be on the verge of a work stoppage, and in the end, there has never been one.

If I was a betting man, I would lay 3-1 that they are going to find a way to get it done.

Pauncho, catfish9 and Bill Archer repped this.
  22. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sides have made some progress, deadline pushed back 24 hours.

23. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio

One of two things

Either they are close

or the league is setting up a way to frame it as the players' fault when they don't agree.

I'm optimistic though.

Bill Archer repped this.
  24. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand all this hostility towards the owners.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can confirm.

11:59pm Friday, 2/5.